543 will be a flop

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The people that have something dead against the smaller saws like the MS241C and 543 have obviously never run one. Everybody I know who has bought the 241 ends up leaving their 50cc saws in the shed. The difference on paper doesn't seem significant. The practical difference is huge.

You're right Matt.

And what the 241/543 make possible is a 40/60 cc two saw plan that is just as useful to some guys as the 50/70 cc combo is to others.

I'm still looking forward to the 543. I really like the idea of a really light saw that cuts and performs well.

As much as I like the 550 I'm always looking for something more light and nimble than the last. And once I get used to the 543 ill probably write a letter every year asking pretty please for a 530xp :D

I'm still looking forward to the 543. I really like the idea of a really light saw that cuts and performs well.

As much as I like the 550 I'm always looking for something more light and nimble than the last. And once I get used to the 543 ill probably write a letter every year asking pretty please for a 530xp :D

At some point a 242XP project will wander into your shop. It'll be a keeper. :)

Have yet to have a customer walk in and mention Rev boost. Honestly, I don't even bring it up because it's hard to explain to customers and they'll never notice the difference anyway. Right or wrong.

We sell the crap out of the 435 and sold dozen of 339's. People do ask if that saw is still available. I want a 543 bologna or not.

But do you see a need for a 40cc saw when you have a 346 or a 550 there is not that much of a weight difference between the 50cc and the 43cc saws. And I would think (don't know have not ran a 543) the 346 would have a better power/weight ratio. Im just surprised bc it would be close to a T540 unless they saw a market for 40cc rear handle saw..... I just want the new 70cc saw!

As far as a need goes, a proper running 346 in the hands of someone who can move fast enough to work the saw........There is no need of anything between a good top handle and a strong 60 cc Pro saw.
A lightweight powerhouse 70 cc saw or a modded 70 will be next in the line up after a 346. I mean really they are so much of a pleasure to use you are only limited by the bar you run 16- 18...The saw will cut anything you need to cut in its bar lengths. I end up climbing through laps and such a lot working or cutting firewood, and I just feel unsafe with a big saw near my legs, but the 346 is nimble and quick and very controllable.

543....If you are a saw nut or an ambitious homeowner who wants to have the best, it will save you money and weight on a 550xp.......the groups that will be interested will care nothing about what it doesnt have and only about the class its in or the fact that its on the shelf in front of them and they don't own it. If it runs at all like a 346 or handles like one it will be my next saw, I have been looking at the 421 Dolmar for some time now and its just not quite it for me.

..... Sayin it will be a flop before it's out just ain't right. :)

Of course it isn't right!
You're right Matt.

And what the 241/543 make possible is a 40/60 cc two saw plan that is just as useful to some guys as the 50/70 cc combo is to others.

Of course - but I feel a 50/60 combo is just right here! ;)

I think it's fairly clear that this was a redmax zenoah development project (at least mostly), and for this reason it sort of goes against most of the autotune/revboost stuff you have seen.

Considering how many people on here lament the new technology and are still often seeking out the old saws (for good reason or not), I certainly do not think that mtronic/autotune are required features in the books of many.

As far as a need goes, a proper running 346 in the hands of someone who can move fast enough to work the saw........There is no need of anything between a good top handle and a strong 60 cc Pro saw.

There is another factor you haven't considered as far as production goes and that is fuel economy. To give you an example my MS241C will put 10% more 8-12" trees on the ground in the same timeframe as my 550XP. Not through grunt, handling etc but simply through fuel efficiency.
Some find it hard to believe but it's true.

I think it's fairly clear that this was a redmax zenoah development project (at least mostly), and for this reason it sort of goes against most of the autotune/revboost stuff you have seen.

Considering how many people on here lament the new technology and are still often seeking out the old saws (for good reason or not), I certainly do not think that mtronic/autotune are required features in the books of many.
I agree - clearly it is a Zenoah/RedMax design. But I see no reason it could not be AT. The MS241 uses a feedback version of this carb design, and the AT control unit is packaged in the ignition module so there really isn't any reason they could not put that on.

A lot of people who have tried the RedMax GZ4000 have been hooked (me included), and it looks like this should be a similarly nice saw. There probably wasn't enough difference between the GZ4000 and GZ4500 (although I have not run a GZ4500), so this splits the difference at 43cc. The GZ4000 saws can cut the majority of my firewood with larger saws only when needed.

The only thing that makes me wonder from looking at the IPL is how the brake handle is attached - it looks like it is still attached to the clutch cover but adds a pivot on the flywheel side. How would that come apart? It would be a PITA to have to take an extra fastener off. I don't have a picture from the clutch side so I'm assuming that I just don't understand how it attaches properly.

EDIT: I found a picture of the clutch side - it appears the handle mounts behind the cover, so that should not be an issue.

Also to the OP: when you say flop do you mean a disappointment in terms of performance or a disappointment in terms of sales?

I think regardless, even if this saw is pretty stellar, it has a fairly limited customer profile and sales expectations should be modest.

Let us not forget that Stihl doesn't see or previously hasn't seen bringing the 241 to the united states as a worthwhile endeavor.

Most homeowners and farmers, etc aren't going to pay extra money for a smaller saw with good limbing performance but lighter weight...you're looking for a professional or large scale woodcutter who does a lot of small limbing, mostly on the ground.

There is another factor you haven't considered as far as production goes and that is fuel economy. To give you an example my MS241C will put 10% more 8-12" trees on the ground in the same timeframe as my 550XP. Not through grunt, handling etc but simply through fuel efficiency.
Some find it hard to believe but it's true.
There are of course many factors involved in that result, so others may well end up with different results. ;)

As I have said on a previous thread, the lack of stuffers and new cylinder design is a step backwards IMO, along with rubber AV units. It's just a saw to fill a gap in the market, but like the 339 and 200/201 back handles, it could have easily been achieved by slapping a rear handle on the 540!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It looks like the 543xp is quite a bit lighter than the PS-421 though, and it has an outboard clutch.

I love all my Husky's (with inboard clutches) but my PS-421 is a great saw,you'd just have to run one to understand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As I have said on a previous thread, the lack of stuffers and new cylinder design is a step backwards IMO, along with rubber AV units. It's just a saw to fill a gap in the market, but like the 339 and 200/201 back handles, it could have easily been achieved by slapping a rear handle on the 540!

I assume (or hope) that will happen anyway - it isn't really about the same class of saws, 38cc vs. 43 and much lighter.

After scrounging 10 cords of wood off the local mountains this winter, 40cc/60cc plan sounds good to this aging back.

Husky reps I spoke with at recent trade show told me the 543xp is replacement for 242xp . . . we'll see!

After scrounging 10 cords of wood off the local mountains this winter, 40cc/60cc plan sounds good to this aging back.

Husky reps I spoke with at recent trade show told me the 543xp is replacement for 242xp . . . we'll see!

It sort of is - but the direct replacement was the 45cc 346xp.

There are of course many factors involved in that result, so others may well end up with different results. ;)

You're only upset Niko because the little Stihl had made my 550XP redundant :) I'm a big Husky fan too so brand bias is certainly not a factor here.

has anyone here ran both the 543xp and the ms241? Husky reps tell me they've run the 543xp and of course they were impressed ;) . . . . anyone ran them both yet? if so, what did you think? On paper the only plus for the Husky so far, looks to be a little lighter. Certainly the ms241 has more advanced features.

Thx

Latest posts

Back