543xp ? 550xp? 545?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd like to have 18" bar but would consider a 16". What gauge chain is better .50 or .58 on these saws? .50 seems like it would cut faster being lighter ?
The only thing really different is the drive links are thinned down where they stick into the bar, unless you are thinking of pixel or nk which only comes in 0.050. Around here I think 0.058 is what is most likely it should have a bit better wear resistance at the sprocket I would think.

There are threads on here to search up about the internal differences and you can study the parts sheets. And if the price premium is worth it. I think the main thing is the crank fully or nearly fills the crank cavity on the 550 while the 545 has the more normal shape perhaps half filling the crank cavity. The more power ones generally make more noise and vibrate more from the spec sheets.

I'm asking so many pointless questions :dizzy::dumb: But I'm 18 years old and this is my first "real" saw, and I don't want to be underwhelmed.

So the .58 gauge is "tougher", and the 545 is more likely to have a little more vibration due to the less balanced crank if I understand correct?

I have a 550 and a 2252(Jonsered version of the 545). I run both saws with 18" bars and .325 chisel chain. The 550 is ported and the 2252 is stock. For what you describe your saw needs as, I believe the 545 would be more than adequate. I have 2 saws with rev boost and I don't believe you would ever notice it cutting firewood.

So the .58 gauge is "tougher", and the 545 is more likely to have a little more vibration due to the less balanced crank if I understand correct?

You gotta keep in mind things on this forum are just a little over-analyzed at times..a 545 is a fine saw , its a great firewood saw..the 550 is just a little quicker..you cant go wrong with either one.

I think I'm most likely going to go to the dealer at some point next week and handle all the saws to get a feel for them, i will make my decision then. Does anyone know of why a dealer wouldn't service a saw under manufacture warrantee if it was bought new online? I mean why wouldn't they.:wtf: I might just ask my local husky dealer if they would.

The 5105 comes with a large hard case tool and oil, seems like a nice package for 450$
Been some issues with piston skirts on the little Dolmar. Was talking to a Mahle engineer about it last night. Know of a few that scored early on in life...like 3-4 tanks.

If you are worried about price find a good used 346 and enjoy. 550xp is a heck of a saw though.

Just my $.02.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Not tougher more contact area transmitting the forces. More vibration due to more power perhaps peak power at a higher rpm. I suspect the piston which I believe is the same is equally counterbalanced.

I think I'm most likely going to go to the dealer at some point next week and handle all the saws to get a feel for them, i will make my decision then. Does anyone know of why a dealer wouldn't service a saw under manufacture warrantee if it was bought new online? I mean why wouldn't they.:wtf: I might just ask my local husky dealer if they would.
Some won't. I don't know why, maybe they're butt hurt that they didn't get your business on the first place. They are bad dealers though.

Call the site sponsor dealers though before you buy online. They will probably best the prices you are seeing.

Also, do go handle as many saws as you can and if you find a good local dealer with a good price on a 550xp buy it from them.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Saw troll, you said before that the 550xp is better than the 545, do you think it would be worth the extra cash for my needs, I won't use the saw as much as a pro arborist but I want a real saw not a plastic Home Depot crap :dizzy: SO many options out there for pro saws
545 doesn't have crank stuffers. Its actually a bit more torquey feeling. Other than that it is almost the same saw. You most likely won't notice the difference between a 545 or 550. Me I'd go 555 and never look back.

555 new or get a used 550 from someone on here. I'm sure someone has one they'd sell.

Unless you're working the trigger like this guy, you'll never notice the rev-boost.

LMAO no I don't think I will be doing that:dizzy:

Been some issues with piston skirts on the little Dolmar. Was talking to a Mahle engineer about it last night. Know of a few that scored early on in life...like 3-4 tanks.

If you are worried about price find a good used 346 and enjoy. 550xp is a heck of a saw though.

Just my $.02.

Is the dolmar 510 and the rest of the line up affected by this problem too?

545 doesn't have crank stuffers. Its actually a bit more torquey feeling. Other than that it is almost the same saw. You most likely won't notice the difference between a 545 or 550. Me I'd go 555 and never look back.

So the 550 has a lighter crank and spools up faster? But sacrifices torque to the 545 slightly?

So the 550 has a lighter crank and spools up faster? But sacrifices torque to the 545 slightly?
I think they actually use the same crank. The 550 has stuffers that decrease the crank case volume. The manufacturers don't publish torque specs so it's hard to say which one has more. The 550 and 545 are very similar saws. The 550 is better though because it's 5 more.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Side by side would a 543xp outcut a husky 350, just wondering

Side by side would a 543xp outcut a husky 350, just wondering
There is a very slim chance that anyone has done that comparison, however I think they'd be about lineball. The 543 is a very niche saw, unless you are 50 and working in a bucket truck all day or similar where having the lightest saw that will do the job matters - nobody buys the 543. The 550 is so much more saw for very little extra weight that it's a no brainer for 99.9% of users.
It's been said several times already, the 545 is fine, the 550 is a little better. You are 18, so I get that money is tight, but you'll have this saw for a very long time. The extra cost will be soon forgotten.

Now, we are all saw junkies - or we wouldn't be here - but the most important ingredient is a sharp chain and skills using the saw. Guaranteed that a good operator can take your mates 350 and sharpen the chain and outcut a 70cc saw. I'm not trying to be a smart arse, but just trying to say that your choice of saw will come second to how well you sharpen a chain. Until you can sharpen a chain so it cuts better than new chain you are behind the eight ball.
So..... Buy a cheap second hand saw and learn to sharpen, tune and play with some simple mods, without worrying about mucking up a good saw, or buy a 545/550 and learn to sharpen (at least it's the simplest saw to muffler mod if you choose to do so down the track).
And before you tell me you know about sharpening a chain - You'll still be learning in 20 years.

Agree that all the mentioned 543XP, 550XP, and 560XP are very good buy.

All these can also be had with a suffix G, which means they are equipped with heated handles. If the saw is used in cold winter times, get a XPG model!

Best price/performance is the 550XP, and you'll get the rev boost, which puts a smile on your face, if working furiously with delimbing, like the video here above so perfectly illustrated, and I think that even was with a 560XP !

Back