55 Rancher 46 MM Mahle cylinder ID

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mainewoods

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have a 2003 Rancher with a Mahle cylinder - 46 ZD 3 ++ stamped on it. Is that a standard cylinder for the Rancher? I assume it is an open port since it's a 46 mm. PSI on it is #175, which seems rather robust for a 13 year old saw. I will say it is a very clean looking saw, and doesn't appear to have cut much wood in it's lifetime. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Yes they are a good firewood saw , I've owned several over the years. Just haven't ever noticed a 55 cylinder with the ++ marks on it before.

I haven't seen that exact casting number before (or at least can't recall it), but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Look if there is a number in ink on top of the cylinder, the casting number isn't reliable info on the bore diameter. The same casting numbers were used on different bore sizes, as long as the outside cast was the same - and the 55 and 51 were among the affected models.

Sure does look like a closed port transfer bulge but the rest doesn't add up. PP325 comes to mind but no decomp there.
Would love to see inside that thing...

What caught my attention first was that the Mahle cylinder casting numbers were on the starter side, not the clutch side. 2nd was the two ++ symbols after the letters and numbers, and 3rd was that the top cover stated EPA I standards were met and that it was 53cc, not 53.2. The top cover certainly looks like the original, but it could have been swapped at some point in time. The cylinder still has all the light grey paint on it.

You're probably right ST. I thought I saw a 53.2 on a top cover label before, is all. Still curious about the ++ numbers, and them being on the starter side of the cylinder. Thanks!

I have a 2003 Rancher with a Mahle cylinder - 46 ZD 3 ++ stamped on it. Is that a standard cylinder for the Rancher? I assume it is an open port since it's a 46 mm. PSI on it is #175, which seems rather robust for a 13 year old saw. I will say it is a very clean looking saw, and doesn't appear to have cut much wood in it's lifetime. Any input is greatly appreciated.
I am rebuilding a Husqvarna 51 chain saw. Very low compression. When I removed the cylinder, it is a Mahle 46 ZD 7 marking. Bore is 46mm. Does it mean I have a Rancher retrofit? Ring is worn. What ri gs size do I need?

Latest posts

Back