550 or 562 XP?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Go for the 372xp, your either gonna, or wish you did, so you might as well do it now. good luck.
That is an absurd statement to make with the limited knowledge you have about the OP's needs.

Just having fun I believe he is a grown boy and knows what he's doing, lighten up

Last edited:
Go for the 372xp, your either gonna, or wish you did, so you might as well do it now. good luck.

Just having fun I believe he is a grown boy and knows what he's doing, lighten up

Man said he didn't want a saw any heavier than a 357xp?

:hmm3grin2orange: Not sturdier, just larger, heavier, slower and more clumcy to handle! :biggrin:

And here I thought you were more robust. :msp_tongue: My apologies, as I didn't realize that you were as frail as that photo in your avatar would suggest...

First off, welcome to the site. But this isn't a great place to hang out if you only plan to buy one saw. :laugh:

I don't think a dealer who says he hasn't heard of the 550 would be a good choice to do business with. Might want to do a little more shopping.

Based on what you are saying about budget and being impressed with the 357, I'd say you ought to take a look at the 555. It falls between the 550 and 562 in both power and price, and it will outcut a 357 by a slight margin. It really only differs from the 562 by having a different coil and slightly different combustion chamber. It's a pretty good value based on your stated needs. And despite what some here will say, you don't have to have an "XP" decal on the saw to cut wood. :msp_smile:

I agree with spike, the 555 is a great saw and perfect for the OP's needs.

I run the 562xp w/at and a 18" bar and man :hmm3grin2orange:

I don't think you'll go wrong with any of them 550, 555 or 562.

You'll probably want a second "backup saw" latter. That's where I find it gets confusing. Considering going with a 550 with 16" bar and a 20" tech-lite for the 562.

Something that hasn't been brought up is your age, size, average tree size you'll be cutting, and how long you'll be cutting at one time. Younger & stronger, go with the 562xp w/20" bar for your 1-saw plan & keep one of your old saws to free up the occasional pinched bar. If I was 23 instead of 63, that's what I'd do. Good luck. Can't go wrong with either saw.

First I must say thanks to everyone for sharing your knowledge and the great advice.
I am 41 6'4" and around 210#
Tree size will vary, in the last year I haven't cut anything over 12" mostly because of availability. Most of my cutting is done after work I would say 3 hrs max.
I do go up in trees with them from time to time and like the lighter saws for that. I will be keeping my other saws so they can be used as needed. What I have been cutting in the last year is as follows: Red oak, ash, elm, mulberry, cherry, walnut and Osage orange.
I found a dealer in my area today that has the 550 and 562 in stock and he didn't try to sell me a $1000+ saw like the other dealers, his price on the 550 is aprox $85 more than what I have seen them for online and not far from what I can get the 560 for online, alt hoe I do feel better about getting it from a local dealer.
I am kind a leaning toward the 550 but I am going to take a look at the other saws brought up in my under $700 price range. I like the multi saw plan but my problem is how do I explain to my wife that the wood burner I put in is saving us all this $$$ when I am spending more than we will save on gas in 3 yrs on 2-3 saws?
Thank's once again for sharing your knowledge.
Dave

Freakingstang, 550 much better than 346-2153? I like a man with opinions.

Do you always keep your chains on the floor? I drive a nail in the wall and hang mine up.

The 346,351 and 353 in stock form I wasn't impressed with. It is a high revving limbing saw IMO. It lacked the torque for a useable saw again, IMO. once ported it is a strong saw. But I still prefered the Dolmar with a 13"-16" bar. If I needed anything bigger I grabbed the 440 or 372. Now, I'm used to a 65cc saw for firewood duties, so I was disappointed after reading how great it was here. With that said, I loved the 5100. The 550xp is hard to explain. It runs like a modded 365 special with a bar buried oak, but weighs just a touch more than a top handle saw. There is no doubt im my mind that it would still be fanominal with an 18" bar as well. The rev boost is pretty cool when limbing. It goes from idle to full wot it half millisecond. Had I never run it, I would still think the Dolmar was a more user friendly, more versatile saw than the 346/353.

From the power and weight standpoint, I seriously will grab the modded 372 a lot less from now on. I've been a bit of a saw snob. I've been fortunate enough to be able to try a bunch of saws that most people wouldn't dream of owning. This 550 would do everything I NEEDED for firewood use. I can't praise this saw enough. It is by far the strongest 50-65cc stock saw (mine is muffler modded though) that I have ever run. It doesn't need to be ported. I don't do stock saws, haven't in years... Now the original poster is used to running small box store throw away saws. There isn't a doubt in my mind that he would be thoroughly impressed with this saw. Im confident it would do anything that he would need it too. I ripped (noodled) a bunch of 36" oak rounds with it the other night. Bar buried and then some. Still absolutely amazed by the power and performance of this little gem. And, it SIPS fuel.. That's just an added bonus to me

FF9BA3B8-C06A-40B7-A4F3-574A5C1A39C2-5968-00000BAF024216EA.jpg

C868D036-53D7-4F75-A782-C4F70A947640-5968-00000BAEF787C7F3.jpg

The 346,351 and 353 in stock form I wasn't impressed with. It is a high revving limbing saw IMO. It lacked the torque for a useable saw again, IMO. ....

That statement makes me wonder how many of the 346xp saws you used actually was the NE 50cc ones, as the statement doesn't fit those very well at all? :confused:

First I must say thanks to everyone for sharing your knowledge and the great advice.
I am 41 6'4" and around 210#
Tree size will vary, in the last year I haven't cut anything over 12" mostly because of availability. Most of my cutting is done after work I would say 3 hrs max.
I do go up in trees with them from time to time and like the lighter saws for that. I will be keeping my other saws so they can be used as needed. What I have been cutting in the last year is as follows: Red oak, ash, elm, mulberry, cherry, walnut and Osage orange.
I found a dealer in my area today that has the 550 and 562 in stock and he didn't try to sell me a $1000+ saw like the other dealers, his price on the 550 is aprox $85 more than what I have seen them for online and not far from what I can get the 560 for online, alt hoe I do feel better about getting it from a local dealer.
I am kind a leaning toward the 550 but I am going to take a look at the other saws brought up in my under $700 price range. I like the multi saw plan but my problem is how do I explain to my wife that the wood burner I put in is saving us all this $$$ when I am spending more than we will save on gas in 3 yrs on 2-3 saws?
Thank's once again for sharing your knowledge.
Dave

It sounds like the 550XP or the 555 would fit your needs well. If I knew I was going out after 12" wood then my 550XP would get the call. I run a 16" bar on mine, but I know it would handle an 18 just fine.

Welcome to Arboristsite !!!

It sounds like the 550XP or the 555 would fit your needs well. If I knew I was going out after 12" wood then my 550XP would get the call. I run a 16" bar on mine, but I know it would handle an 18 just fine.

Welcome to Arboristsite !!!
Surely, but it wouldn't handle as well with an 18" as with a 16", providing the bars are of similar construction (no heavy RSN bars on a light 50cc saw please).

I should know better than to take the bait here and respond to certain comments. But sometimes a fairy tale gets repeated enough that some folks actually start to believe it.

The fairy tale in question are the "save face" comments from a few Stihl guys that the additionional weight of the MS261 and MS362 translate into them being sturdier saws that hold up better under heavy use.

That's Disneyland. For one thing, most of these saws are so new that you can't form long term heavy use opinions about them. With the exception of one 550, all of the 550's, 555's, and 562's I've sold locally are being used commercially. There is zero evidence of a lack of ability to hold up under serious use. Last week, I sold my FIRST 562 mount. The week before, I sold a 562 oil gear. (typical cold morning 30wt oil deal). 3 months ago I waranteed a 555 starter due to a broken post where the pulley slides on. That's it guys. Three parts total. Be kind of hard to be better than that.

Now..........I am NOT knocking the Stihls. They are good saws. (I particularly think the 261 is a nice unit.) I'm just shooting down this fantasy that because they weigh more, that they are built better. It's silly.

Bob, can you clarify this: I was thinking I saw you post that the 550 (might have been 562) ignition and carb had to be replaced as a unit? Tom says no, and I certainly defer to what a dealer says.

Latest posts

Back