550XP/562XP Long Term Reliability

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonL

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
These two saws have been out for some time. I'm thinking of acquiring one or the other this summer. To those that have beat on them at length, how have they held up? How have they adapted to different mixes?
I have tuned all my 2t equipment to run on Motul 710 2t oil mixed with Sunoco canned gas at 32 to 1. And NO, I do NOT want to start another oil thread. That's what I'll be using for the foreseeable future and I would like to know if either of these saws would fit into my long term plans.

Again, the question is only: will either of these saws function and run well in the long run using my standard mix?

I log for a living and have no qualms about recommending a 550 or 562.
AS far as mix I use nothing but Husqvarna XP that I mix 40:1

Funny thing is that before I joined this site I spent months reading posts going back years. I made a comment at that time that things go in circles. People were bemoaning the fact that the 346 XP was being obsoleted and that they better stock up. I made some kind of comment that the posters were crying about the MS460 being replaced by the the MS461 and that they would be accepting the 461 when the 462 was coming out. Things come full circle.

My question is: have the 550XP and the 562XP gained the status that the previous 346 and 357 attained? Are they accepted as being the working mans tool? Are they turning out to be what's needed to do the job at hand?

Further perspective I guess.

I never used a 346xp for any length of time so I can't comment.
I bought two new 357xp's for work over the years. Solid saws that I have nothing but good things to say about.
That being said I prefer my 562xp. That is until I bought my Jonsered 2260 a couple of weeks ago. The 2260, I believe has the same power plant as the 562, but has a small weight advantage.
This is one mans working perspective anyway.

I got a 562xp in 2012 for my tree service. It's doesn't run every day but has been in the fleet for over 3 years hard use and I haven't had to replace anything. It's got the dual dogs and a 24 inch bar. I couldn't be happier with its durability and My guess is the fuel lines will be the first to go, all it's had is husky xp oil @50:1 non ethanol.

562xp is the next step up from a climb saw for me. They run hard with a 20" bar and all have been problem free. They've traveled well, stumped some nasties, hung from ropes and banged around hundreds of feet at a time. They've never needed any thing other than fresh mix and sharp chains. They've blocked down 100+ foot trees many many times and haven't shown any indication they were going to call it quits. If they did, id throw it out of a tree and go with something else

Attachments

• IMG-20150905-03100.jpg
    IMG-20150905-03100.jpg
    430.8 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG-20151027-03140.jpg
    IMG-20151027-03140.jpg
    454.5 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_0179.JPG
    IMG_0179.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 97
  • IMG_0180.JPG
    IMG_0180.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 82
Again, the question is only: will either of these saws function and run well in the long run using my standard mix?
I normally ran 50:1 and when I jumped to 32:1 it did seem to take the AT a little bit of time to catch up.

Very happy with my 550 and will probably have a 562 soon.

i have a 2012 562xpw with EL44. it's beat, was scored somehow, cleaned up and run some more with original piston. this is when i got it. after some significant run time on that old piston i decided to throw a new one in it. everything works mint, only trouble i've had with it in i'd say 350 tanks is primer bulb went for **** so if left to idle it would run dry of fuel. replace that and all is well. recently ported and is my go to saw for anything but falling large wood. traded my 550 with very few hours on it. i just don't have much use for 50cc and smaller. i prefer the 550/562 anyday over a 346/357.

Sorry for not getting back sooner. Was tied up with other pressing matters.

I thank everyone for their input.

My two main falling saws are a 357XP and a 371XP. Both saws carry 20 inch bars. The 357 has the original Husky bar that came with the saw. I would like to find a 20 inch lightweight bar that fits the husky small mount. The 371 now has a Sugihara lightweight 20 inch bar on it. I am reluctant to put anything longer than 20 inch on the 371. As I understand it, the bottom end on the clutch side was the weak point on the 371 and was beefed up on the 372. These saws cover about 80% of what I need to fell. I have a 372XP XT with 24 inch bar and a MS660 with anything from a 24 inch to 36 inch bar to cover the rest.

When I'm felling with the 357 or the 371 I use the same saw to to fell and then break down the tree. The 20 inch bars seem just about right for me. I love the way these two saws spool up when limbing. I spent a good part of a day using the MS660 with a 24 inch bar felling and limbing. I would not want to spend a 12 hour day unnecessarily swinging that saw around.

I am curious enough about these two saws with rev-boost to want to try them. However, I want something that is durable and something that I will get full value out of.

Ron

...When I'm felling with the 357 or the 371 I use the same saw to to fell and then break down the tree. The 20 inch bars seem just about right for me. I love the way these two saws spool up when limbing ... I am curious enough about these two saws (550 & 562) with rev-boost to want to try them...
The local dealer let me test a 550 & a 562 on some logs out back; what impressed me most was the combined handling & speed in the cut. Not sure I'd trade your saws in for the rev-boost, though.

One difference between the 346 and 550 is the captive bars nuts, I do like that feature to keep from losing my nuts.

Feel like a dern stupid squirrel looking for nuts in the woods, wasting saw time.

Also the Flippy caps on 550 are better, you can put a Flippy on the fuel side of 346, but not the oil side.

Autotune has worked fine, need to push primer bulb once if 550 sits more than 5 minutes for it to start first pull, even if hot, just get in the habit.

550 may be a tad more nimble??? Very close.

Bucking spike on stock 550 is too small for trees with any medium to thicker bark, a 357 spike bolts on, 4 bucks at Bailey's.

I prefer the fleece or felt air filter to the screen one, seems fines can make it thru the screen. I don't cut a lot in below freezing weather where some prefer screen air filter.

Muffler mod on both.

I would buy another 550 if something happened to the one I have.

I run 18" , .325 pitch, don't bury it often unless I don't have a bigger saw w longer bar handy.

Just my 2 scents

redoakneck

I like the 20 inch bar on the 357 for limbing because it seems to fit me and I don't have to bend over. The 18 inch on a 550 might be doable and is in fact what I may actually try.

Ron

redoakneck

I like the 20 inch bar on the 357 for limbing because it seems to fit me and I don't have to bend over. The 18 inch on a 550 might be doable and is in fact what I may actually try.

Ron
I have the goofy sized cannons on mine that are 75dl, like a 19" if you are used to 72 dl for 18 and 78 for 20. I know stihl 20" .325 take 81dl.

It balances nice with that bar, and even though it is s cannon (super mini), it isn't heavier than pro lite by very much. Usually pulling RS in clean wood.

I have a 20" narrow kerf that is 78 dl, run it on 346 oe though.

I don't use my 562 every day but I've run close to 10 gallons thru it. I think it's broke in. 20" bar, big spikes. A lot of stumps. I did more full trees last year than I want to do this year... I have been impressed with it. It has impressed customers who only know box store saws. Not sayin' much but, it has impressed pros who use that "other brand" too.
The only hiccup I had is when I ran it over with my 2 axle trailer. New brake cover, new handle, new kick back lever and a lot of picking gravel out of the fins on the head... good as new! I would buy another one without hesitation.

I don't use my 562 every day but I've run close to 10 gallons thru it. I think it's broke in. 20" bar, big spikes. A lot of stumps. I did more full trees last year than I want to do this year... I have been impressed with it. It has impressed customers who only know box store saws. Not sayin' much but, it has impressed pros who use that "other brand" too.
The only hiccup I had is when I ran it over with my 2 axle trailer. New brake cover, new handle, new kick back lever and a lot of picking gravel out of the fins on the head... good as new! I would buy another one without hesitation.
how is the saw going now?

Latest posts

Back