550xp keeps dying

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artwood

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just bought a new 550xp. I've only run 3 tanks through it, but from an idle sometimes it will die when revving to start a cut. If it wasn't AT I could just adjust the carb. Anyone else experience this? What can be done about it?

Autotune hasn't fully adjusted, it is common on new autotune saws. you need to run it more for the software to learn what the settings should be. Let the saw idle for a few minutes, find a log and run the saw hard at full throttle until it's running right.
What Ferguson said. My 562xp does the same, sometimes. Saw one at the dealers, tech was having a problem with it flooding out. Try Ferguson's method and if that does not work, take it back. You can get it worked out, it's a nice cutting saw.

I would take it to your dealer, is the saw still under warranty? If so, I would ask them to check the diagnostics and they should do a compression and leak down test on it. Have you ran XP oil from the start? We've had a complete failure at 2 hours 42 minutes run time due to inferior oil being ran through it. I'll help all I can.

There is a little plug in the carb that can be removed to gain access to a screw that can be adjusted to give the L circut more fuel. B Snelling did a thread about it off memory. Good luck!

So has he tried it, or not because it 'may not' work. Buy a new carb or take it to a husky dealer and use your warranty. I don't think the op is worried.
Yes, he has tried it. I agree, it should go back to the dealer. That's what I did when my 562 had problems. My dealer did all necessary testing, etc., & Husky stood 100% behind everything.

Thanks for your replies. I'll run a few more tanks through it. Maybe after it's broken in it'll "auto tune" itself. If not I'll take it in for diagnosis.
I was wondering how common tjis might be.

I actually bought a used one from Tradin Post before this new one and it was doing the same thing. This saw seems smoother running and less vibration than my 346's. If I can get the 550xp to perform properly I'll ditch my 346's!

I also conclude the AutoTune hasn't tuned in optimal yet, but after 3 tanks it's first now ready to perform real work. Still the break in period is in the middle though.

Try change the fuel to Aspen 2% mix. Less problems and more consistent behavior with Alkylat fuel mix.

Latest posts

Back