550xp Scoring

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skylogger

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hey guys this is my second 550xp I decided to pull the muffler and have a look at the piston since my first one was a total loss for piston and cylinder scoring. Well I don't know if i should be worried or not its running fine but have a look at the video?

[video=youtube_share;I76ZGyRYFDk]http://youtu.be/I76ZGyRYFDk[/video]

Looked like a streak on the cylinder wall on the intake side?

Good grief mm you made my heart sink with that comment I don't know what to do now just run it or take it in?

Hey guys the fuel i used on the first saw was pump gas mixed with husqvarna oil with the blue lable and i also ran the premixed husqvarna gas in it when it died. In this new saw i've only used 93 octane e free gas mixed with hp ultra oil:msp_confused: One thing weird about this saw is that the decompression valve stays in when starting and doesn't pop out till it high idles for a second so i just haven't been pushing it in. It runs great and starts on a hot start but does bogg down on throttle if i wait 15 or 20 minutes on a restart but that goes away after a minute.

I just keep hearing bad things about these 550s :msp_confused:
There is one listed on my local CL for $325....The guy said he bought it new in May...:msp_scared:

I just keep hearing bad things about these 550s :msp_confused:
There is one listed on my local CL for $325....The guy said he bought it new in May...:msp_scared:

That's a steal! People don't read starting instructions and have warm start issue's.

That's a steal! People don't read starting instructions and have warm start issue's.

Yep, most of the (quite few really) problems we hear of here can be tracked back to operator errors - but there were a few bad carbs on early production ones.

For your fuel mix, you're just taking a jug of gas and pouring in the correct amount of oil, then pouring the fuel into the saw, right? No shaking of the jug. And you're running without the air filter for that extra bit of power, yes?

Really though, seems odd that two of them are going this way.

Scoring isn't something I've seen yet. I'd be ok with warranty on one saw with some scoring but with quality control as good as it is I'd say check your mix. Looks like a lean burn issue I'm not attacking or flaming you in any way but what mix do you use and how do you mix it? Is this one of your first saws? As I've said I'm not insulting just trying to help resolve your issue.

Pretty broad statement... 550's are great saws, but to say that all warm start issues have been user error is BS.

All the warm start issues aren't user error but most users truly do not read the owner's manual. People just wanna gas up and go. One guy who bought a new 361 when I was working at the dealership broke the chain tensioner in it because he didn't loosen the bar nuts when trying to tighten his chain. I asked him if he read the manual and his reply was "I don't want to read some dumb old book, I just want to cut wood!"

That scoring isn't that bad but it's an issue. I would take the saw back to the dealer and show them. I would also starting mixing my fuel at 40:1.

All the warm start issues aren't user error but most users truly do not read the owner's manual. People just wanna gas up and go. One guy who bought a new 361 when I was working at the dealership broke the chain tensioner in it because he didn't loosen the bar nuts when trying to tighten his chain. I asked him if he read the manual and his reply was "I don't want to read some dumb old book, I just want to cut wood!"

I agree 100%, I would bet that most don't touch the owners manual.

I didn't say all were I just said human error is involved. Had I said the word ALL in that sentence then you can say it's a broad statement.

I can say its a broad statement either way :msp_smile:. But yes, I interpreted your statement differently than what I am sure you meant. :msp_scared:

Hey guys the fuel i used on the first saw was pump gas mixed with husqvarna oil with the blue lable and i also ran the premixed husqvarna gas in it when it died. In this new saw i've only used 93 octane e free gas mixed with hp ultra oil:msp_confused: One thing weird about this saw is that the decompression valve stays in when starting and doesn't pop out till it high idles for a second so i just haven't been pushing it in. It runs great and starts on a hot start but does bogg down on throttle if i wait 15 or 20 minutes on a restart but that goes away after a minute.

If that decompression valve doesn't pop back out immediately, it is sucking excess air in every revolution, or it could, seems like it anyway...defective, excess air in cylinder, too lean, damage.. If the damage has already occurred, as is evident, well.....just not using it now won't fix that.

Two in a row bad..I would chose another saw.

Latest posts

Back