550xp Scoring

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

That scoring isn't that bad but it's an issue. I would take the saw back to the dealer and show them. I would also starting mixing my fuel at 40:1.

If so, hopefully the AT will compensate - if not the fuel to air mix will be leaner with more oil in the gas (I believe it will though).

Regardless of the cause or outcome of this event, the 550xp is a really nice saw.

Spike sent me one of the first he got in and in stock form it performed perfectly. Not a whimper and would pull in the cut just like it was designed to. Starting has always been a breeze.

After having a solid port job to it she makes great power and has never had a problem. It is a joy to work with. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another. Just my experience.

Regardless of the cause or outcome of this event, the 550xp is a really nice saw.

Spike sent me one of the first he got in and in stock form it performed perfectly. Not a whimper and would pull in the cut just like it was designed to. Starting has always been a breeze.

After having a solid port job to it she makes great power and has never had a problem. It is a joy to work with. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another. Just my experience.

The mistakes some do is to not read the important parts of the manual - resulting in a less than perfect run-in (of the AT), and messed up hot starts....

I would also buy another i love it! Seeing as the marks are halfway down the piston and i cant feel them with my finger do y'all think it will be ok to run i did get the extended warranty when i bought it?

The mistakes some do is to not read the important parts of the manual - resulting in a less than perfect run-in (of the AT), and messed up hot starts....

Btw, the saw specific info is just a few pages far back in the manual, it isn't a lot to read really....:msp_wink:

skylogger How much time does the saw have on it? The exhaust port and the top of the piston seem to have a lot of dark carbon buildup, I normally don't see that much carbon buildup in equipment running Ultra, I think something is up with your fuel mix. How exactly are you mixing your fuel? and how long are you storing the fuel?

Last edited:
I measure one gallon at the pump in a plastic gas jug then measure 2.6 ounces of stihl hp ultra and mix it in the fuel has never been in the can more than a week. Now that isn't to say the station I get it from doesn't have old gas in there tanks who knows? The saw only has 6 tanks through it, I run the same mix in my echo trimmer and blower I've had for 9 years and they still run like new.

I measure one gallon at the pump in a plastic gas jug then measure 2.6 ounces of stihl hp ultra and mix it in the fuel has never been in the can more than a week. Now that isn't to say the station I get it from doesn't have old gas in there tanks who knows? The saw only has 6 tanks through it, I run the same mix in my echo trimmer and blower I've had for 9 years and they still run like new.

With only 6 tanks of fuel through the saw, the internals should look new, with no buildup at all. IMHO something is seriously wrong with your fuel mix. I have the feeling you're also leaving out some details as well. If I were your dealer I couldn't in good faith cover the saw under warranty.:popcorn:

Last edited:
...Seeing as the marks are halfway down the piston and i cant feel them with my finger do y'all think it will be ok to run i did get the extended warranty when i bought it?

Some knowledgeable folks on AS have advised that the saw has a problem and it should be brought back to the dealer. Running it until it blows up and expecting the warranty to cover it is not a wise choice.

Latest posts

Back