550xp strong in cut; sometimes hard to start and hesitates off idle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, any updates on that problem? My 562 had identical issues that got worst as the saw aged. I even reset my metering arm, that helped the bog issue but then it was harder to start when hot. Mine always started withen 2 pulls cold. The times that the saw wouldnt start hot I found that the primer bulb was dry, I had to pump it like 25 times to get it started, but it only did this every once in a while...:msp_scared:

Last edited:
I have about 10 tanks through my 550xp. It's flawlessly strong in the cut. It's sometimes a pain to get started and running, however. When cold, it fires on choke after 3 or 4 pulls, which is okay. I immediately drop the choke off, and then it usually fires with 1 or 2 pulls -- but it often won't keep running, even though the high-idle is still set. It often takes several re-starts, letting it try to idle (touching the throttle usually kills it), until it finally keeps going on its own. It also exhausts lots of smoke during this cold starting process. I've tried it with the air purge and without, but I don't see a repeatable pattern of better or worse from using it or not.

Finally, it can take some throttle and the smoke clears up. The whole cold starting dance takes about 2-3 minutes, but it's the only 2-stroke engine I've got that takes more than 30 seconds to get idling smoothly.

The saw also has a peculiar off-idle response. If it has idled only 1 or 2 seconds since the last cut, it responds instantly to the throttle pull for the next cut. If it idles for about 5 seconds or more, you can almost hear it drop a few rpms into a lower idle state. After those 5 seconds or so, the saw hestitates or bogs just a quarter-second before responding to a full throttle input. If I give it a quick 1/8 throttle blip, the saw will die just like I've hit the kill switch (full throttle blip doesn't kill it).

On a traditional carb, I'd adjust the L screw until these symptoms went away. With autotune, however, I've got nothing to adjust. I can take it back to my dealer to look at, but these aren't major issues that keep me from cutting -- just irksome behaviors that I can work around.

Have any other 550xp or autotune owners seen similar behaviors? Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Have you resolved your issue since? Mine does the same thing.... she's brand new.. only 6 tanks in. What was your solution! Thanks!

Have you resolved your issue since? Mine does the same thing.... she's brand new.. only 6 tanks in. What was your solution! Thanks!

Any fix for this problem. I have had mine to the dealer 3 times. The last time they dumped out my gas from the saw and put in " good fuel " charged me $75.00 ? Said I had used ethanol fuel. I bought a can of husky fuel. No change. .When working and warmed up hesitates off idle. I think ethanol is a cop out. The saw told them ethanol was the problem and the tech. found ethanol in the saws tank!!! It's hard to get this saw fixed if they will not do any more than blame the customer

At the risk of getting flamed, I suggest a new spark plug. All of my non-AT/MT saws behave similarly when the plug is weak.

Any fix for this problem. I have had mine to the dealer 3 times. The last time they dumped out my gas from the saw and put in " good fuel " charged me $75.00 ? Said I had used ethanol fuel. I bought a can of husky fuel. No change. .When working and warmed up hesitates off idle. I think ethanol is a cop out. The saw told them ethanol was the problem and the tech. found ethanol in the saws tank!!! It's hard to get this saw fixed if they will not do any more than blame the customer
There are a couple of guys on this list that know how to fix these issues; unfortunately, there are lots of local dealers with limited technical skills.

I purchased a 545 Husqvarna last year (2014 model) and was having similiar problems with the saw from day one thru break-in and in the field. I took it to the local Husqvarna dealer and he did not have a clue what the problem was. After that the powerhead was returned to Baileys online where I purchased the saw. Their tech eventually figured it out after contacting Husqvarna. They suggested that he replace the carburetor chip with a 2015 chip. That fixed it and I have had no problem with the saw since.

Pardon my ignorance but I checkd this thread twice http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/206511-31.htm and didnt find.:(

Hi everybody,

I know that I had been along time lurker here, and I wanted to thanks you all on this site members that had given out a wealth of great information that I had read on AS. Its just jump me remembering seeing that 550xp carb. picture. Go to search box, type in 550xp, go down the 7th thread, started by cc firefighter Oct. 17, 2015, go to post #3, there a picture showing the L screw adjustment and the picture can be blown up larger to see it better. I hope that I can be of any help to all you members. I gotta go now (going on another furnace service called again).

Henry Fuller

At the risk of getting flamed, I suggest a new spark plug. All of my non-AT/MT saws behave similarly when the plug is weak.
Spark plug is a cheap try . I will swap it out and post result. Also spoke to Monica at husqvana, she called the dealer and has assured me that they are committed to a fix. Also I will receive a refund from the dealer for the ethanol attempted fix. They will do a field test if required. I will make sure to post the result.

When right a 550xp runs so well with such quick throttle responce it would bug the hell out of me if mine were any different. It seems these issues that keep being presented are factory induced problems and not operator error. Husky should work out a solution and not hide the problem cause they would know more about it than they let out and a lot more than any of us. The 5 series are true class leading saws that when released were new in so many ways, they still are ahead of really anything else as far as size, power wieght and fuel delivery. I noticed stihl has adopted they layed back cylinder design on the updated 261/362 which definately says something. The dealer network and recall/capability of solving problems is way behind stihl and needs to improve.

Spark plug is a cheap try . I will swap it out and post result. Also spoke to Monica at husqvana, she called the dealer and has assured me that they are committed to a fix. Also I will receive a refund from the dealer for the ethanol attempted fix. They will do a field test if required. I will make sure to post the result.
OK. Tried the spark plug swap. No change to the performance off idle. However it did show me there is a problem somewhere. The plug I removed ( from factory ) is as black as a boot.. Wonder if the husky tech checked the plug for condition? Took the saw back to dealer, waiting for a fix.

Update. Returned the saw to the dealer on Feb 25. Checked with them yesterday March 11. Saw is not fixed waiting on a new carb. Huskavarna might make good saws. They are not good on service, getting a saw with a problem is very nightmarish. No solution in sight.

My 550 ran great. At the same time I switched to 32:1 mix (as it was what I had mixed) I also did a lot of cutting of tree tops (i.e. lots of short full throttle blasts cutting 2-4" diameter rounds). Saw started running like OP described with hard starting and it was quite annoying to have to keep blipping the throttle as I climbed through the tops pile. Not sure if it was switching to richer mix AND cutting small wood without cleaning out the saw or what.

Worked up a cord of larger wood (12-16") and the saw cleaned right up again.

if they cant get it fix let me know. i have the autotune program and if it is still under warranty fordf150 will take care of you

if they cant get it fix let me know. i have the autotune program and if it is still under warranty fordf150 will take care of you

Oh, I am sure they will get it someday. Not sure when that day will be. Hoping before the warranty is gone. We have to October. I am lucky to have other saws and this is not stopping me from working. The dealer could borrow a carb if they were big on costumer service. Guess they would rather wait for a delivery.
Saw is running rich on idle. Think I will stick with 50-1 mixture. The saw is still under warranty. I first retuned the saw to the dealer in December.

Oh, I am sure they will get it someday. No sure when that day will be. Hoping before the warranty is gone. We have to October. I am lucky to have other saws and this is not stopping me from working. The dealer could borrow a carb if they were big on costumer service. Guess they would rather wait for a delivery.
It really amazes me that some dealers like that really don't seem to care. Obviously repeat business isn't a concern of theirs.

Called the dealer this morning. Seems the carb was not the problem. They are working with Huskvarna to find the fix. Called Hushqvarna spoke to Monica again. She called the dealer, called me back to say the dealer is working with Husky techs to fix the saw. I asked for a refund or new saw. She is forwarding my request. Seems these are expensive saws and they do not give up on problem saws. I am aware they are expensive as I paid the price for one and it has been to the dealer 4 times and it is still there sense Feb 25.
If you think I am angry. Caught in closed loop, no way out.

I'm on my 4th new 550xp. I haven't fueled it yet because if I don't see a resolution posted on this it'll be traded for the revised MS261 when it becomes available. The first three all had the off idle bog and stalled if it idled for more than a few seconds and was up to operating temp. I traded the first one for a 562xp once the EL48 came out and after several trips to two different dealers trying to get it resolved. Last September I tried again and this one did the same thing, dealer gave me a replacement saw the next morning. This one also did the same thing but the dealer suggested I run it for a while to see if it would clear up. He also did not want to do another replacement. I ran 4 tanks through it and if anything, it got worse. Others have said it takes more run time to come out of it but I didn't want to keep running the saw with the bog & stalling. The dealer had it off & on for the next 2 months. We did try the hidden air bypass screw which had no affect. I finally had enough & asked for the saw back so I could try a third dealer. He ended up giving me a second replacement saw. I would like to try it but think it would be more appealing for a trade unfueled. This issue is all over the web but I haven't seen a resolution yet. It's unfortunate because I really like the saw.

Latest posts

Back