550XP-"You CANNOT run it with 3/8 pitch setup. No way!"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Warranty service is rare. Most of time they figure out a way to nail you with a bill anyways. To ship the saw back to terry or spike would be cheap for you. Regular service can be done by any dealer. I even believe warranty work can be done by any dealer as well although some dealers do get all up tight about a saw they did not sell coming in for warranty claims especially in your case. It would be really funny to bring a 550 fitted with 3/8's in for them to service after this though :)

They likely just tell you what the part list tells them, and aren't really knowledgable.

Just order 3/8"x7 sprocket rim 504 52 30-02, and it will fit the splines of the 550xp clutch drum (small 7-spline). ;)
Thanks! your post is very helpful!

And you are correct in that the dealer actually printed a copy (schematic) of the parts break-down to "PROVE" to me that I can't run 3/8.o_O

He (they) told me that I would have to change the worm gear, the sprocket, the clutch, the bushing, and clutch drum. Also told me that a 3/8 bar would not fit due to the mounting hole (slot) being to long or short?:eek:

After he told me I would have to change ALL THAT, he then said it was not even possible as those parts are not made for the 550.:dizzy:

Thanks again.

In general, salesmen get a bullet point list of things to talk about in order to sell a given item and nothing more. They want to talk about things to get you excited about the product so you'll buy it, and they don't care about anything else. In my experience, it's far more common to run across clueless salespeople than informed ones.
Yes, I agree.

The sad part is that the guys I was talking to are the OWNERS.:eek:

I like my 550 best with 18" .325 LPX but currently using STIHL RM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I also prefer .325 on a 50cc saw. Run mostly Oregon BPX.

I am certain I would like the .325 also, BUT I already have a ton of bars and chains in 3/8, .058.
THAT is the main reason I need/want 3/8.

How about printing out this thread, and showing it to them?

Btw, the 55 rancher was sold with 3/8x7 as the standard setup, but that doesn't mean it was ideal on that saw (it wasn't).
Hmmm, maybe I will. Actually while I was there having our little "debate", I told them that I "know" a lot a guys running 3/8.

They asked, "you know guys"?. I said, "well, guys on the forum".
They laughed a little and stated that YOU GUYS ARE WRONG. :popcorn:

So... What happened? Did you tell them that they were wrong?

Unfortunately I've had to do that on a few occasions. I hate having to do it too, it's awkward. As politely as you can do it you know they are thinking "look at this schmuck telling me my business'', but the fact of the matter is it needs to be done some times. I went through the same thing trying to get a different size sprocket setup for something. I just don't leave until what I want is ordered & when it comes in I show them why it will work.

He (they) told me that I would have to change the worm gear, the sprocket, the clutch, the bushing, and clutch drum. Also told me that a 3/8 bar would not fit due to the mounting hole (slot) being to long or short?:eek:

After he told me I would have to change ALL THAT, he then said it was not even possible as those parts are not made for the 550.:dizzy:

Thanks again.

He sort of was right about that, if the saw was to be set up for a standard 7-spline 3/8"x7 rim - but he obviously didn't know about the small 7-spline 3/8"x7 rim that I posted the part number for. ;)

That part number is from a 1992 262xp IPL, but it still works here, at my Husky dealer - and it does of course have an Oregon number as well (18720).

If you like this dealer, and you want the saw, ask for it Power Head Only. Then order the rim sprocket by P# (Oregon or husky). Which style/ brand of bar do you want? Ask for that by P# as well, and determine and obtain the correct chain. You should be able to change the rim yourself, but the clutch will have to come loose.

Just make double sure, when asking for parts by Part Number, that your #s are absolutely correct. Parts guys love to get that smug look when someone asks for something by # and then it ends up wrong. I'm sure Troll's numbers are correct, but I'd still double check it.

If you like this dealer, and you want the saw, ask for it Power Head Only. Then order the rim sprocket by P# (Oregon or husky). Which style/ brand of bar do you want? Ask for that by P# as well, and determine and obtain the correct chain. You should be able to change the rim yourself, but the clutch will have to come loose.

Just make double sure, when asking for parts by Part Number, that your #s are absolutely correct. Parts guys love to get that smug look when someone asks for something by # and then it ends up wrong.

This is funny because when I order parts for my snowmobile the first question out of their mouth is "what is the part number". Some times they act like you are bothering them if they have to look it up. If your on the phone they will even put you on hold and take the next caller and make you wait. It annoying as hell because where I grew up it was exact opposite.

My 545 and 550XP came PHO and I put my own Oregon 3/8" small spline rim, 16" X 3/8" Oregon Power Match Bar, and 3/8" Stihl RSC chain on them. They tun fine for limbing. I also run on my 346 new edition, a 357XP clutch bell, 3/8 X 7 large spline rim, 16" Power Match Bar, and Stihl 3/8" RSC Chain.

Well, I've been known to set a few up with 3/8. Allthough I put an 8 pin .325 on mine, which I prefer, but seems to be the option everyone ignors. LOL Only 550 I ran with 3/8 was TK's which also had a muff mod and I'll admit it was indeed impressive.

I defense of that dealer, (or at least an explanation), converting the 550 to 3/8 isn't something that's listed in the fit-up charts, so if they don't see it there, then they may assume it's not possible. There you have the difference between a dealer and a saw shop. :) He may not even have the 10mm piston stop or clutch tool, so maybe you really don't want him hacking at the thing anyway.

Where in PA are you? Take a ride over :)

Latest posts

Back