550XP-"You CANNOT run it with 3/8 pitch setup. No way!"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is funny because when I order parts for my snowmobile the first question out of their mouth is "what is the part number". Some times they act like you are bothering them if they have to look it up. If your on the phone they will even put you on hold and take the next caller and make you wait. It annoying as hell because where I grew up it was exact opposite.

Well my friend.. Things are different these days.. Much.. Much.. different. I'm only 32 & I have noticed quite a change in the general employee attitude & how they act towards the consumers. I noticed it started going downhill right before the recession. I can only imagine what the old timers have noticed. Generally, no matter what it is I need, no matter what consumer area were talking about, I have to find all said information on my own & then track said product down via the i-net even when inventory or answers to my questions are right in front of them on their store computers. Like that dealer that were talking about here, they are faced with a question but only want to give ''No'' as an answer without even trying. It's sad & something needs to give, but I only see it getting worse. We need more PPL devoted to what they do like Randy over @weedeaterman for example, guy goes out of his way to help, along a few others on here.

I am certain I would like the .325 also, BUT I already have a ton of bars and chains in 3/8, .058.
THAT is the main reason I need/want 3/8.

That's also the main reason I've done it here locally. Did it a lot on the 346. Plus a lot of guys who are good at, and have been sharpening 3/8 for years, don't like to file .325. It's not a performance thing for those guys.

This is all just nuts to me?? I really think I'm going to start getting birthday and Christmas cards for my dealer. I mean, I have one guy that really treats me right (price & service).He's a part owner. The rest of the staff I just view a clerks. Guess I should count my blessings.

Here's the thing on warranty. You probably will never need it. That said, when you do, you want to deal with someone that knows the score. You would be miles ahead shipping a saw back to a site sponsor, than to try to explain to some "clerk" that 3/8 chain didn't smoke your AT chip.

Buy it from one of these guys!

You seem concerned about warranty issues - and fair enough - but if you do actually have a problem then you want it fixed, quickly and correctly. Much more likely to happen with these guys.
Personally I'd be looking at the price of a new ported one from wicked work saws. Just to make sure it can pull that big old 3/8 chain. ;)

My 550 loved 3/8 the same way 346 NE love it. :laugh: 550 was even better with 3/8. ;)

Just change the dang rim to 3/8 7Tand put on a 3/8 b+c

5503463450003_zpsda47a4c9.jpg

How do you cut wood PHO? do you really head out to the woods with no b+c? Is that (pho) the only way those husqys will hold up?

This is all just nuts to me?? I really think I'm going to start getting birthday and Christmas cards for my dealer. I mean, I have one guy that really treats me right (price & service).He's a part owner. The rest of the staff I just view a clerks. Guess I should count my blessings.

Here's the thing on warranty. You probably will never need it. That said, when you do, you want to deal with someone that knows the score. You would be miles ahead shipping a saw back to a site sponsor, than to try to explain to some "clerk" that 3/8 chain didn't smoke your AT chip.

The quality of the dealer means much more than the nominal length of the warranty. ;)

I could care less about flimsy husqys, but I do know something about denied warranty claims. If you were to come in expecting a warranted repair of your blown up 550xpat, guess what, not covered because of the 3/8"! You'd better buy the oil to double the warranty! Twice of void is still zero... best of luck with trying to go over your dealer's head, right or wrong, then expect good treatment down the road. The forum may be right about fitting 3/8 to your new saw, but will the forum be there to fix your saw under warranty?

I could care less about flimsy husqys, but I do know something about denied warranty claims. If you were to come in expecting a warranted repair of your blown up 550xpat, guess what, not covered because of the 3/8"! You'd better buy the oil to double the warranty! Twice of void is still zero... best of luck with trying to go over your dealer's head, right or wrong, then expect good treatment down the road. The forum may be right about fitting 3/8 to your new saw, but will the forum be there to fix your saw under warranty?

That depends on the dealer, like I just said - but he has to be a real prick to pick on that in a warrenty situation. The gearing of 3/8x7 actually is a tad lower than with .325x8, so the user can't be accused of overloading the saw.

i heard somewhere that a 550 can out cut a 261 just by rubbing the dawgs on the wood like a hand saw. this might be why kevin only needs powerhead only. he races saws and if that's all it takes to beat the stihl then hell yes. why wear out a bar and chain for nothing ;) we need mesupra to post the PM's between him and skier everytime skier opens his mouth. shut him right up or sober him right up. could be both :rolleyes:

Really? That'll be the first I've heard of anyone, anywhere, talking up those wimpy little felling dogs. I guess if you get off on my making an offer to buy mesupras saw, that's fine, post it up! It won't make your hukys less flimsy.... :p

Really? That'll be the first I've heard of anyone, anywhere, talking up those wimpy little felling dogs. I guess if you get off on my making an offer to buy mesupras saw, that's fine, post it up! It won't make your hukys less flimsy.... :p

One stupid and useless post after another from you. Aren't there any Stihl threads that you can "contribute" to?

The reason I run 3/8 on all my saws is for sharpening with a grinder. ABN grinding wheels aren't cheap. If you keep all your saws running the same pitch chain, you only need one grinder setup. If both chains are equally sharp, a .325 chain may actually out cut a 3/8 chain due to the narrower curf. I dont care. I do it for simplicity.

The reason I run 3/8 on all my saws is for sharpening with a grinder. ABN grinding wheels aren't cheap. If you keep all your saws running the same pitch chain, you only need one grinder setup. If both chains are equally sharp, a .325 chain may actually out cut a 3/8 chain due to the narrower curf. I dont care. I do it for simplicity.
That's the reason that all my saws wear 3/8 x .050, simplicity. One roll of chain, one size file, one size grinding wheel, there was only one size rim sprocket until I got my 346, now there's two. Until I got a few Huskys, one bar fit everything, and not having two different pitch chains in the tool box on the truck to create confusion.

Latest posts

Back