550XP-"You CANNOT run it with 3/8 pitch setup. No way!"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You might go in with the part # Saw Troll gave you. Have them order it. WHen it gets in, ask them to install the spricket. Once installed toss them a small slline 3/8 rim to be put on before they put it all together. All that you need now is your favorate flavor of 3/8 chain to be put on and then you have prooven to them that it can be done and in fact that they can do it.

Might be worth the time to give a bit of a lesson.

Hal
Interestingly, the Husky dealer will be at my house this Friday to deliver the Ariens splitter that I bought from them.

I am curious to see if there will be any further mention (from them) about the 550 while they are unloading the splitter here.

If the subject comes up I may try to "educate" them about the small spline rim part.

I don't have any hard feelings towards them. I am just glad that I can get the saw as I want it. Even if it meant going elsewhere.

I really value the info on AS.

Would be nice if the new saw arrived in time for the dealer to see it.

Slightly off topic, but the thread has already gone there.... I happen to prefer Stihl over Husky, but I was getting tired of a certain poster on this thread too. I may have to learn how to use ignore.

I do not understand any of this. The Husky 55 rancher was open ported and less powerful than it's 55 closed port (.325) sibling. Yet it was sold all over the place with 68 driver 18" 3/8" setups. The 346xpne and 550xp are way more powerful but only listed with .325 setups. Could this be an engineering issue with bearing stress? I say this because if I was selling saws I would show them with every chain pitch that could possibly be used.

Would be nice if the new saw arrived in time for the dealer to see it.

Slightly off topic, but the thread has already gone there.... I happen to prefer Stihl over Husky, but I was getting tired of a certain poster on this thread too. I may have to learn how to use ignore.

Can i guess who?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do not understand any of this. The Husky 55 rancher was open ported and less powerful than it's 55 closed port (.325) sibling. Yet it was sold all over the place with 68 driver 18" 3/8" setups. The 346xpne and 550xp are way more powerful but only listed with .325 setups. Could this be an engineering issue with bearing stress? I say this because if I was selling saws I would show them with every chain pitch that could possibly be used.
Not a "engineering issue" but more a simplifying issue. 55cc and up get 3/8". 50cc and smaller get .325. It would be a pain to the dealer and confusing to the general public to display same models with diff bar/chain/pitch set ups.

This is a fair question. There are no bearing concerns or anything like that.

The answer lies more in marketing than anything else. Until the 55 got "rancherized", most of them, along with the 51's came in .325. The 55 Rancher was essentially a response to the Stihl 029 farm boss. The concept being a larger homeowner saw that had a 18" or 20" 3/8 for guys that wanted to step up from the typical 45-50 cc saw. (but not spend pro saw money) The 61, which was at one time a "rancher" and obviously a bigger and better saw, could not hope to compete with the 029 on price. So the 55, which was actually just 53cc had to fill that market segment until the 455 arrived. It did OK with an 18", but probably half of them were sold with 20's and I think that was a bit of a stretch. With 20's, the 029 would have a distinct advantage. People like to pick on the 029/290, but it was a very reliable saw and a marketing home run. Until the 455 came out, Husky never really had an effective response IMO.

I used to keep one 346 on the shelf set up with 3/8 for guys who preferred it that way, but 9 out of 10 went out the door with .325. So far, I've only set up the 550/2253 as requested.

Don't feel bad. I decided to swap out the underwhelming, non-adjustable
"wild thing grade" oiler from my 450 rancher for the adjustable version
used on the 455/460 model saw.

Note the adjusting screw now lurking underneath the plastic!
Also needed an extra scew to pull the bar plate tight,
to ( hopefully ) slow a bit of the sawdust ingress.

Edit: This change will require changing the clutch drum to 455/460 ver
and some slight modding or more parts changes.
after knee work I'll try to finish and post a report.

Attachments

• 450 adjustable oiler_0573.jpg
    450 adjustable oiler_0573.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 68
The answer lies more in marketing than anything else. Until the 55 got "rancherized", most of them, along with the 51's came in .325. The 55 Rancher was essentially a response to the Stihl 029 farm boss. The concept being a larger homeowner saw that had a 18" or 20" 3/8 for guys that wanted to step up from the typical 45-50 cc saw. (but not spend pro saw money) ....... So the 55, which was actually just 53cc had to fill that market segment until the 455 arrived. It did OK with an 18", but probably half of them were sold with 20's and I think that was a bit of a stretch. ...... I've only set up the 550/2253 as requested.
I do not understand any of this. The Husky 55 rancher was open ported and less powerful than it's 55 closed port (.325) sibling. Yet it was sold all over the place with 68 driver 18" 3/8" setups. .....

Not sure about all the setups, but I do know that I have the 55 (not rancher) version.
And mine came with an 18" bar in 3/8. It runs nice with that setup too.

I also run it (occasionally) with a 20" and it is OK as long as I don't ask too much of it.

And, yeah, Spike is correct, my "55" is not 55cc.:confused:o_O

Anyway, Spike, what are you doing on the computer? Don't you have a sprocket to swap out?;):p:D:laugh:

Not sure about all the setups, but I do know that I have the 55 (not rancher) version.
And mine came with an 18" bar in 3/8. It runs nice with that setup too.

I also run it (occasionally) with a 20" and it is OK as long as I don't ask too much of it.

And, yeah, Spike is correct, my "55" is not 55cc.:confused:o_O

Anyway, Spike, what are you doing on the computer? Don't you have a sprocket to swap out?;):p:D:laugh:

Only takes 2 minutes to change it; even though some think it can't be done. It'll be there Friday. :givebeer:

Oh My God...

He'll has just froze over in SE MI, despite it being near 50° for the last three days (a heat wave here). Either it was an April Fool's joke, or the employees read the forum. I spotted this on the rack setup with a 20" 3/8 pitch blade. That bar made the saw feel even more flimsy! :D

Oh yeah, I'm well aware. There's Stihl, then there's everything else...
Flimsy
Chinsy
Junky
Crappy
Cheap
Wimpy
assign other brand names where you see fit :D
LOL,So loggers use Huskys cause they are flimsy and cheap? Remember now, these are guys that use these saws everyday and put them through hell. nothing like you and me where we cut a tree every now and then, sounds like you buy em for shelf queens if you collect them. I see you're still a fairly young man. Maybe you will wise up one day.

Did you forget your password over on Sawtrash or something? What do we have to do to make you go away?

All of the pros on Axe Men use stihl, quality saws. When those crews are in a race to get logs, they need reliable equipment. There are no huskies or dollies in sight...

Sorry if yous are getting offended, you can call my saws clumcy and slow. I can take it.

The thing about CrossSki is I think he's about half kidding, and enjoys getting a rise out of folks.

I've seen brand loyalists that took themselves way more seriouly, and made their attacks way more personal.

The ignore function is a wonderful thing. :D

But arguing is much more fun. :)

His post just above yours reveals all. He stakes his position on a comical reality show. Stihls are the number one saw in Disneylamd! That's all he's got. All the real guys are out in the woods working, while he's watching saturday morning cartoons. The more he posts, the funnier it gets. I'm not going to ignor him at all. I'm looking forward to his next post!

MAAAAAAAAAAGNUM!!!! Sure isn't referring to his IQ, is it?

Latest posts

Back