555 hesitation off idle when warm .

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgrizz

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hope you guys can help me out with this. I bought the 555 about 3 weeks ago and used it last week and today .
I have 2 tanks thru it and running 50:1 sunoco 100 lead free fuel with stihl ultra oil. The saw runs great but after it gets warmed up and go to give it gas off idle it stumbles and the revs up fine . I will take it back to the dealer to have them look at it but i wanted to ask hear first. I think i calibrated it correctly for what the book says to do. It doesnt stumble when cold just hot and the air filter is clean . thanks .:msp_unsure:

My 562 is doing the same thing at 3 tanks. I just assume it's going to get snappier as it breaks in. Keep us posted and I'll do the same.

My 562 is doing the same thing at 3 tanks. I just assume it's going to get snappier as it breaks in. Keep us posted and I'll do the same.

thanks epexy, I hope this will go away after a few more tanks i have been following the guys that are running them and dont recall them saying the had the problem . I will keep you up to date on this when i talk to the dealer.

And I've watched all of the 555-562 youtube videos I could find just looking for that hesitation.

Do what you would do with the initial setting. Each time you do that it sets a baseline for the carburetor, not just the first time. If you do that it may clear it up without having to go anywhere.

Do what you would do with the initial setting. Each time you do that it sets a baseline for the carburetor, not just the first time. If you do that it may clear it up without having to go anywhere.

So what you are saying is run it like the first time i set it and try not to keep blipping the throttle out of the cut or it will learn that as a baseline each time? I was checking to see how the throttle response was on the first tank after cutting some wood . thanks tk .

Sounds like good advice - an alternative will of course be having the settings updated, or at least set back to default. :msp_smile:

Hi guys. I have 2 tanks thru the 562xp. I havent noticed anything like this. I dont think mdavlee has with his triple 5 either. Keep us posted.

I got to test run a 562 wed night and didn't notice anything like that. The dealer pulled the saw out of the box, we put the bar/chain on and went out back fueled it up and fired it up. Minute later I was running it in a log. Wow was all that came to mind, this thing rips. Thinkin I might have to sell a couple saws to put one of these in my barn.

Hi guys. I have 2 tanks thru the 562xp. I havent noticed anything like this. I dont think mdavlee has with his triple 5 either. Keep us posted.

I believe it may have something to do with how the Autotune is run in - the user manual provides that info. :msp_wink:

The dealer did say he has had to recalibrate a couple that they sold. He said it was about a 10 min deal, disconnect hook to a battery and done. Sorry I'm not the most technical savy but your dealer should be able to help you out if it continues.

The dealer did say he has had to recalibrate a couple that they sold. He said it was about a 10 min deal, disconnect hook to a battery and done. Sorry I'm not the most technical savy but your dealer should be able to help you out if it continues.

Flashing the module torestore the default settings is only done on pre 2011 576 and 570 autotune versions. The 555/562 require the dealer to have the engine diagnostic tool in order to restore the factory defaults.

So what you are saying is run it like the first time i set it and try not to keep blipping the throttle out of the cut or it will learn that as a baseline each time? I was checking to see how the throttle response was on the first tank after cutting some wood . thanks tk .

Yes just don't let it below 8k rpm I think the book says. Basically get a good length log and keep on slicing for a good 3-5 minutes. I did that with the one I had and it made a huge difference, very noticeable. I never had the hesitation you speak of, may be due to the way I set it up. It won't learn your hesitation, it's not like that, but it will learn certain settings under certain circumstances if that makes any sense. It doesn't hesitate because you did..... It's just a fuel setting at a certain rpm, throttle position....

I've not really noticed a hesitation like that on the 555. It seems to do fine when warmed up.

I am thinking that i may have not kept the saws rpm up the whole time i was doing the setup.
The log was 12 " and 6 ft long . It doesnt take long for it to cut up making cookies. Today i will try it again on the ash tree that is 3ft across and 6ft long . thanks

Update

Well i ran the 555 at full throttle in the tree for 5 minutes (this time i used my watch to make sure) and still doing the same thing. It seems to load up about a minute at idle and when i give it gas a puff of smoke comes out like its unburnt fuel. I also noticed that i went thru a tank of fuel in about 10 to 15 minutes after trying to recalibrate it . This saw has a ton of torque and i was pushing it thru the tree and kept wanting more. So i am not sure what to do now , either run some more to see if the hesitation goes away or take it to the dealer now to find out what is wrong. I want to thank everyone that has helped out on this .

Well i ran the 555 at full throttle in the tree for 5 minutes (this time i used my watch to make sure) and still doing the same thing. It seems to load up about a minute at idle and when i give it gas a puff of smoke comes out like its unburnt fuel. I also noticed that i went thru a tank of fuel in about 10 to 15 minutes after trying to recalibrate it . This saw has a ton of torque and i was pushing it thru the tree and kept wanting more. So i am not sure what to do now , either run some more to see if the hesitation goes away or take it to the dealer now to find out what is wrong. I want to thank everyone that has helped out on this .

Ok firstly you cannot recalibrate the saw, without restoring the factory defaults, which you cannot do.

2. Everything on the saw is the same as any other saw save for the AT feature.

3. When you say it load up about a minute at idle.......please explain....are the rpms climbing? is the clutch engaging? Is this consist or a one time thing......etc...

4. tank of fuel in 10-15min................the 555 sips fuel

Take it to your dealer and ger the error codes read......based upon the symptoms, especially the high fuel consumption, I would be leaning towards an air leak or the air valve not closing properly at idle or...............

Its under warranty and I am sure any dealer would luv to hook up to it and read whats going on, its a learning curves for the techs as it is the customers.

Back