562XP 20 or 24in bar?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bar Lengh...

• Total voters
Some would flame me for it..but..i used a 28 on my 044 for a load of logs i boomed for a friend..it was about 9 cords and nothin bigger than 15".. but i had a ton of reach and didnt bend over often..that seems to wear me out more , sometimes id rather carry the weight as opposed to being bent over..my opinonimagejpeg_0.jpg

Makes for correct body positioning! hunched oven bucking or falling is so wrong. you aren't holding the weigh for long anyways as your mainly resting in the cut even if its a couple of seconds. if i was bucking on the ground like that, a 24" would be good for me. I can do good with a 20' as well ....just because i have shorter legs with a wide stance and long arms so I can keep proper body positioning or take a knee.
Its ridiculous for many.

Makes for correct body positioning! hunched oven bucking or falling is so wrong. you aren't holding the weigh for long anyways as your mainly resting in the cut even if its a couple of seconds. if i was bucking on the ground like that, a 24" would be good for me. I can do good with a 20' as well ....just because i have shorter legs with a wide stance and long arms so I can keep proper body positioning or take a knee.
Its ridiculous for many.

That pile was taller than us when we started..i loved the reach

562 24 bar.JPG A little nose heavy with a 24" Power Match. The reduced weight bar might help the balance. Running this bar with full LGX made me envision a day this saw will be "Monkeyed" with, where running a 20" bar I did not see the need.

View attachment 355379 A little nose heavy with a 24" Power Match. The reduced weight bar might help the balance. Running this bar with full LGX made me envision a day this saw will be "Monkeyed" with, where running a 20" bar I did not see the need.

"A little"? Even a 372xp is more than "a little" nose heavy with a 24" Power Match.

The 362 I just posted pic of with r kit and 24" bar and full of fluids weighs 17.2 lbs

The only "light" 24" bars I know of are the Sugihara Light and the Tsumura Light&Tough.

However, the "weight loss" of those bars aren't as large as with the Stihl ES Light, Husky Techlite, or Oregon Light - as far as I know.

The only "light" 24" bars I know of are the Sugihara Light and the Tsumura Light&Tough.

However, the "weight loss" of those bars aren't as large as with the Stihl ES Light, Husky Techlite, or Oregon Light - as far as I know.[/QUOTE
They r only made in 28" and up though I think?

I picked a 24" bar for occasional use & put it on recently to see how it felt. I'm over 6'3" w/boots on so working stuff on the ground I like the extra reach it has over 20". I didn't go high end on the bar, I think it's a bit heavy compare to some but never bothered to weigh it.
It's a bit nose heavy but not bad.

24.jpg

I picked a 24" bar for occasional use & put it on recently to see how it felt. I'm over 6'3" w/boots on so working stuff on the ground I like the extra reach it has over 20". I didn't go high end on the bar, I think it's a bit heavy compare to some but never bothered to weigh it.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzNT50sr5Y9UM2dWVkxlRGxaX3M/edit?usp=sharing

Im in a similar boat being 6'3" as well, i hate being bent over im still young and in good shape so the weight isnt too bad

562 nose heavy.JPG
"A little"? Even a 372xp is more than "a little" nose heavy with a 24" Power Match.

With a nod to your depth of knowledge I might suggest my "little" (normally using a 20" bar) and your "little" (normally using a 16" bar) are weighted by perspective?
I did a test (non-formal) where I tied the saw from its handle to see how it where it would settle without the influence of my grip. Can't seem to get my pic to come up but, it would appear to be somewhere around 4.5 tilt. Building terminology, 1/12 slope.

View attachment 355416

No, it isn't really bad - but it isn't like I would want it. People are different.

If it only is for occational use (when really needed), it is perfectly OK, also with me.

I don't really accept to use lack of bending over as an excuse for using longer bars though, despite I have severe arthritis and a very bad back myself.

Im in a similar boat being 6'3" as well, i hate being bent over im still young and in good shape so the weight isnt too bad

Yea my back appreciates it,
View attachment 355379 A little nose heavy with a 24" Power Match. The reduced weight bar might help the balance. Running this bar with full LGX made me envision a day this saw will be "Monkeyed" with, where running a 20" bar I did not see the need.

so where did you get those dawgs topbuilder? I want to just get the outer, but I would go for a set of those.

I've seen 365xp's run 28" bars I ran 24" for cutting 2-4" regrowth, because we wouldn't have to bend over. If your not felling tree's big enough to warrant a 24" bar or are in a situation where the reach won't give you better posture, stay with the 20". Even fire wooding 22" wood will be quicker because it won't bog down as bad. There are other facotrs obv, such as sharpening, chain, soft v. hard wood, etc.

Back