562xpg 20" techlite evaluation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CJ1

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I usually like to run at least 1 chain out before I give a opinion. So I am guessing 30-40 tanks of fuel.
The good, saw starts great cold 2-3 pulls with out using the primer. I usually forget about it anyway.
I really like the feel of the saw, slim, light and you can run it all day without getting fatigued.
Great throttle response, pulls hard in the cut at all rpms, the saw will lug down low where most 60cc saws kind of give up.
Saw is happy at high rpms, I limb at WOT and it does very good here.
Hot starting is a 1 pull deal if you remember to set the high idle if the saw has been sitting for a few minutes, if you just ran it, it fires right up without doing anything.
Fuel usage, wow this thing is stingy with fuel. I can compare it to a 261 in that area. If you get into 16"+ hardwood it will use some but that is to be expected. I can load most of my 14' dump trailer with high sidewalls with it and finish up with my modded 346 at maybe 1/3 to 1/2 of a tank.

The bad, really not much. The saw needed a new carb to fix a occasional bog/stall. Once in a while it was a bugger to start hot. The new carb fixed about everything, if you leave the saw idling 5 seconds or so it has a rich bog/burble at the first hit of the throttle. It only does it at about 5-10 seconds, any more or less it does not do it. It is only about a 1/2 a second or less so a very minor annoyance. The techlite bar is very easy to bend about 2x as easy as a standard bar. I guess as a + it straightens out just as easy!!

So would I buy another one, yep you bet. Even with the issues it is just that good. I will be adding another one next year. CJ

Sure it's a great saw. Last week I cut a lot of trees with large branches with this saw. My collegue used a MS440.

At the end of the week, I had about 25% more volume, and using 30% less fuel.

The only downside is the rear silent block which is very fragile.

Sure it's a great saw. Last week I cut a lot of trees with large branches with this saw. My collegue used a MS440.

At the end of the week, I had about 25% more volume, and using 30% less fuel.

The only downside is the rear silent block which is very fragile.

Fuel use is amazing isn't it? What is a rear silent block?
CJ

I have the same saw with the same bar. While I have never actually measured it, I have found fuel usage in mine is actually very heavy to excessive for a saw this size/displacement. Now I do push mine pretty hard. It does what a 372xp used to do for me but 30% less fuel is NOT realistic. Oiler is adequate for a 20” bar but I would not go too far beyond that. Hot starts are usually two pulls on the cord. Great saw.

I'm talking about anti vibration spring. It breaks twice a year, and without pulling the machine.

OK that clears it up for me. The only thing that I could think of for a silent block was a muffler.

I have replaces a few rear AV mounts on the 562s. I assumed it was from people pulling on the saw with a stuck bar.

Later
Dan

I have the same saw with the same bar. While I have never actually measured it, I have found fuel usage in mine is actually very heavy to excessive for a saw this size/displacement. Now I do push mine pretty hard. It does what a 372xp used to do for me but 30% less fuel is NOT realistic. Oiler is adequate for a 20” bar but I would not go too far beyond that. Hot starts are usually two pulls on the cord. Great saw.

I use mine side by side with my 372 and there is no comparision, almost 2 to 1 in fuel. Now in fairness the 372 is modded and likes fuel, a lot. But what I am seeing is some major inconsistancies with some of these saws. I do know I am going to have mine reflashed to see if it helps with the slight bog. The only time fuel use goes up for me like I stated is in 15-16"+ hardwood. It tears 12" and down stuff up with no problem. I used to carry extra fuel to fill both of my saws up to get a load of wood, now like I stated I have 1/2 a tank left in my 346. So in my case it IS realistic and after almost 12 loads is the same almost every time. As far as my oiler well it is too much for my 20" bar but when I turn it down 1 click it does not oil enough heck it goes from almost a full tank of oil on #3 to less than a 1/2 of a tank on #2. CJ

Last edited:
I use mine side by side with my 372 and there is no comparision, almost 2 to 1 in fuel. Now in fairness the 372 is modded and likes fuel, a lot. But what I am seeing is some major inconsistancies with some of these saws. I do know I am going to have mine reflashed to see if it helps with the slight bog. The only time fuel use goes up for me like I stated is in 15-16"+ hardwood. It tears 12" and down stuff up with no problem. I used to carry extra fuel to fill both of my saws up to get a load of wood, now like I stated I have 1/2 a tank left in my 346. So in my case it IS realistic and after almost 12 loads is the same almost every time. As far as my oiler well it is too much for my 20" bar but when I turn it down 1 click it does not oil enough heck it goes from almost a full tank of oil on #3 to less than a 1/2 of a tank on #2. CJ

Yea, there must be some major inconsistencies in these saws. Haven’t seen much difference between my 562xp,my dolmar 5100 or my POS ms361 in fuel useage. Seriously, cant see how anything huffing down farts will give you 30% more fuel mileage/wood on the truck. More fuel=more wood, but what the hell do I know. If it is working for you, go for it.

OK that clears it up for me. The only thing that I could think of for a silent block was a muffler.

I have replaces a few rear AV mounts on the 562s. I assumed it was from people pulling on the saw with a stuck bar.

Later
Dan

I suspect you are right - but I can't prove it of course! :D

Yea, there must be some major inconsistencies in these saws. Haven’t seen much difference between my 562xp,my dolmar 5100 or my POS ms361 in fuel useage. Seriously, cant see how anything huffing down farts will give you 30% more fuel mileage/wood on the truck. More fuel=more wood, but what the hell do I know. If it is working for you, go for it.

Ime, the MS361 is a fuel efficient saw for a non-strato - and the 5100S has a smaller engine.

Just a quick example, 300CI I-6 ford engine. Carb engine [slobberbox] got about 9-11 MPG and lasted about 150,000 miles before the slobberbox washed out the cylinders with fuel. When ford went to fuel injection, mileage jumped to 14-16 and the bunch we had always went over 300,000 before we had to do head work. The bottom end was still in good shape. The GM 3.8L is another example of carb V injection. The bottom line is if you can accurately control fuel delivery you will get more work for less fuel. I know these saws are not injected but they are metered a lot better than a standard carb. CJ

I kind of always liked the Ford big 6. It used to come as the base engine even on the f-350. It pulled better than a lot of v-8s but it was a thristy engine and always seemed to have intake manifold problems. I have a 6L fuel injected V8 in my current chevy that gets about 10-12MPG if you have a good tail wind and are going down hill.

Not trying to rain on your parade. If you are getting better fuel economy with your 562xp, that’s great. Mine does not but as you have said, these saws/carbs are very individualistic. It could be the fuel. I run 10% ETOH and most of my equipment runs through it like free beer at a faire. It could also be the operator. I don’t do a lot of limbing with mine. It is usually felling and stumping. I have not seen any fuel saving with 550xp. I actually think it uses more fuel than either of my 346xp(s). Probably just an optical dilusion on my part. No big deal.

I think that a true fuel injected saw will deliver better fuel economy than an auto tune/mtronic strato.

I kind of always liked the Ford big 6. It used to come as the base engine even on the f-350. It pulled better than a lot of v-8s but it was a thristy engine and always seemed to have intake manifold problems. I have a 6L fuel injected V8 in my current chevy that gets about 10-12MPG if you have a good tail wind and are going down hill.

Not trying to rain on your parade. If you are getting better fuel economy with your 562xp, that’s great. Mine does not but as you have said, these saws/carbs are very individualistic. It could be the fuel. I run 10% ETOH and most of my equipment runs through it like free beer at a faire. It could also be the operator. I don’t do a lot of limbing with mine. It is usually felling and stumping. I have not seen any fuel saving with 550xp. I actually think it uses more fuel than either of my 346xp(s). Probably just an optical dilusion on my part. No big deal.

I think that a true fuel injected saw will deliver better fuel economy than an auto tune/mtronic strato.

I absolutely hated my GM 6L for fuel mileage. I got between 3-4mpg plowing!! One heavy wet snow storm I blew through almost 3/4's of a tank in 40 miles. I could barely make it to the Soo from my house 150 miles if I was towing anything. 12.8 was the best on the freeway at 70 empty with a tailwind so I know where you are coming from. The 300 was one they should have kept along with the 302. I don't run 10% in any of my small engines, just premium with Dominator at 45 to 1. CJ

I absolutely hated my GM 6L for fuel mileage. I got between 3-4mpg plowing!! One heavy wet snow storm I blew through almost 3/4's of a tank in 40 miles. I could barely make it to the Soo from my house 150 miles if I was towing anything. 12.8 was the best on the freeway at 70 empty with a tailwind so I know where you are coming from. The 300 was one they should have kept along with the 302. I don't run 10% in any of my small engines, just premium with Dominator at 45 to 1. CJ

Don’t get me started with that POS Chevy. I have a laundry list of crap that went wrong with this truck. Worst thing was the brake lines that GM decided to make out of compressed rust so that when you go to step on the brake they all rupture at the same time. Nothing 2K in custom brake lines (and 2 years of my life span) couldent fix. I would take a Ford big 6 and a 3 speed column shifter any day.

Don’t get me started with that POS Chevy. I have a laundry list of crap that went wrong with this truck. Worst thing was the brake lines that GM decided to make out of compressed rust so that when you go to step on the brake they all rupture at the same time. Nothing 2K in custom brake lines (and 2 years of my life span) couldent fix. I would take a Ford big 6 and a 3 speed column shifter any day.

Luckily I never had the pleasure of owning a Chevy and hopefully will never have to. ;)

Ford 300 six might be the best truck engine ever made! I like simple and dependable.

Mine went down the road before it had 30k on it, The Chinese would have been offended if they built that mess that I owned. Sunfish 2 years to burn 10 tanks!!! WOW. CJ

We have different experiences with the 6.0L it seems. I got 14-15mpg highway. Towing was maybe 10-12. Plowing I got 8-10mpg, mostly closer to 10 though. Couple of broken header studs and some ticking but that engine was great to me.

Mine went down the road before it had 30k on it, The Chinese would have been offended if they built that mess that I owned. Sunfish 2 years to burn 10 tanks!!! WOW. CJ

Yeah, too many saws and I use a 346xp most of the time.

Back