576xp 0r 372xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeB

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am looking to buy a new saw but can't decide between the 576xp or the 372xp. I just cut firewood but sometimes the wood I get can be pretty big so I need a larger saw. I want something that will last for a long time , I keep things (if they are good) forever. It will probably have a 20 inch bar on it most of the time but I will get a larger bar 28 or 30 inches for times when I get into large trees. One more question what is the 372xt I have read about on here ? I'm not in a hurry and can wait if there is a new saw that is better than these.

Thanks

Hi--

The topic has been covered before so if you wish for some reading material you can search for it.

Basically the 576 is bulkier and heavier with more power. It will balance a longer bar better. it also has a fatter torque curve, than the regular 372 at least. I have both right now. the 576 is less suited to limbing. I do really like the sights and the lines on it for fellign though. ergonomically it is a great saw.

That said, the 372 is easier to throw around and limb with.

The 576 is available in Autotune, which is a computerized/automatic carburetor that is constantly (tens of times per second) optimizing itself to the current conditions. Most users report a performance gain as a result of autotune, in the cut.

Most, if not all, 372s you find at the dealer will be x-torques. The x-torque is a modified 372 which meets post 2010 emissions requirements through the use of stratified engine technology or "strato" engine. Again a google search is probably your best bet here to google strato engine, redmax has a good page explaining most of it, and there are videos on youtube. This isn't particularly radical technology, it's been in equipment since the late 1990s and is becoming the norm.

Most will say there is little to no performance lost, some performance gain with the x-torque with the 372. The 576 also an "x-torque" saw.

For clarification, I have a 372 (non xt) and a 576 (non autotune).

It will be a tall order to find someone who has run all 4 quite a bit.

372 xp lighter and a well proven saw.If you look at Sthil the 440,460 or 441.

I was trying to make the same decision a while ago. Went with the 576 because it looked l to me the 372 had the same engine but with a different carb set up. And when I tried them out the 576 av system was far superior it was just a nicer saw to run.

A 372 for a limber?

Hi--

The topic has been covered before so if you wish for some reading material you can search for it.

Basically the 576 is bulkier and heavier with more power. It will balance a longer bar better. it also has a fatter torque curve, than the regular 372 at least. I have both right now. the 576 is less suited to limbing. I do really like the sights and the lines on it for fellign though. ergonomically it is a great saw.

That said, the 372 is easier to throw around and limb with.

The 576 is available in Autotune, which is a computerized/automatic carburetor that is constantly (tens of times per second) optimizing itself to the current conditions. Most users report a performance gain as a result of autotune, in the cut.

Most, if not all, 372s you find at the dealer will be x-torques. The x-torque is a modified 372 which meets post 2010 emissions requirements through the use of stratified engine technology or "strato" engine. Again a google search is probably your best bet here to google strato engine, redmax has a good page explaining most of it, and there are videos on youtube. This isn't particularly radical technology, it's been in equipment since the late 1990s and is becoming the norm.

Most will say there is little to no performance lost, some performance gain with the x-torque with the 372. The 576 also an "x-torque" saw.

For clarification, I have a 372 (non xt) and a 576 (non autotune).

It will be a tall order to find someone who has run all 4 quite a bit.

You really use a 372 for a limber? You don't have any smaller saws, or just like wasting wood or fuel? I'm serious, that's a big saw. There are any number of smaller good saws that get much better mix and bar oil consumption and will limb fine, and would be "easier to throw around".

To me, using a saw like that to limb with is like using a dumptruck for a commuter car. Now I could see using it on huge trees with tree size limbs of their own on them, but a tree that size you would still start out with a smaller saw out on the furtherest branch ends.

Just wondering now, what do you normally cut, what species and size and for what purpose. Perhaps you have a great reason to use a saw like that for limbing, I just can't think of one. Disclaimer:cut a lot of small medium and whopper eastern hardwoods and some big pines, but never any like 200 foot redwoods like from outwest, and going by my experience..that's why I am so incredulous on that 372 as a limbing saw deal. And the most common thing you read here about a "saw plan" is a 50cc and 70cc, with the 50 being the limber.

I personally feel you can't go wrong with either.

But I'd go with the 372, they just have a very good and long track record.

I like both of the choices. The 576 has more torque for bucking. It is a little more cumbersome to limb with. I don't like stopping and starting another saw up to limb. I like to keep going with what I started with. A lot of times its a 90cclittle saw for me.

I was trying to make the same decision a while ago. Went with the 576 because it looked l to me the 372 had the same engine but with a different carb set up. And when I tried them out the 576 av system was far superior it was just a nicer saw to run.

I wonder how that is possible, I feel the 372xp is about as smooth as a saw can get?

Personally the 576xp just looks too bulky and heavy compared to the 372xp. If I needed more power (than the 372xp has), I would jump streight to the 390xp.

You really use a 372 for a limber? You don't have any smaller saws, or just like wasting wood or fuel? I'm serious, that's a big saw. There are any number of smaller good saws that get much better mix and bar oil consumption and will limb fine, and would be "easier to throw around".

To me, using a saw like that to limb with is like using a dumptruck for a commuter car. Now I could see using it on huge trees with tree size limbs of their own on them, but a tree that size you would still start out with a smaller saw out on the furtherest branch ends.

Just wondering now, what do you normally cut, what species and size and for what purpose. Perhaps you have a great reason to use a saw like that for limbing, I just can't think of one. Disclaimer:cut a lot of small medium and whopper eastern hardwoods and some big pines, but never any like 200 foot redwoods like from outwest, and going by my experience..that's why I am so incredulous on that 372 as a limbing saw deal. And the most common thing you read here about a "saw plan" is a 50cc and 70cc, with the 50 being the limber.

If I fall a 20" ash or something for firewood, and start working it up, normally I won't switch to a smaller saw until I'm down into 6" minus wood. A lot of the time I don't feel like carrying two saws with me, especially if I'm workiing far away from the truck.

I have smaller saws (ms 211, 346 xp), but I don't go running for them immediately. If I'm starting out the day knowing that I'm going to be working small trees, then I just generally use the 346.

Last edited:
If I fall a 20" ash or something for firewood, and start working it up, normally I won't switch to a smaller saw until I'm down into 6" minus wood. A lot of the time I don't feel like carrying two saws with me, especially if I'm workiing far away from the truck.

I have smaller saws (ms 211, 346 xp), but I don't go running for them immediately.

What he said...:agree2:

The 576 is a lot smoother than than a 372. Don't know how or why but it is.

To build on my earlier statement a little bit--I'm not advocating the use of a 372 as a limber. I'm just saying that, if you're going to have to limb with one of them at some point, a 372 is more comfortable to do it with than a 576.

It'd be like me saying that one work truck handles better at high speeds on curvy roads than another. Do you buy a work truck with intentions of going high speeds on curvy roads, probably not. Are there situations in which you might want a work truck to handle going high speeds on curvy roads? probably. Is it something you might consider in a comparison between two models when many other aspects are equal? maybe. To me at least.

You really use a 372 for a limber? You don't have any smaller saws, or just like wasting wood or fuel? I'm serious, that's a big saw.

Just wondering now, what do you normally cut, what species and size and for what purpose. Perhaps you have a great reason to use a saw like that for limbing, I just can't think of one.

Very simple Zogger.

Most people that work in the woods only carry one saw in with them. Ask a logger what he uses for a limbing saw and you'll just get a funny look. Or a not so funny remark questioning you manhood. :msp_biggrin:

If you are close to your truck and a lighter saw is available, then by all means that's the way to go. But that's often not the case, and it's better to have a little too much saw than not enough.

That's why the 372 is such a bullseye. Plenty of power, yet light enough to be workable when limbing out the big tree that you just dropped. And why the little extra weight of the 576 is not well received by the pro guys.

Last edited:
576 CARBED. When the ethanol eats the carb it'll be a lot cheaper to replace than the auto-tune bologna.
I run a 575 as my primary saw for all tasks. The 372 is a backup only. I log with them, and do firewood. I also use them to do trail work for the sled club too.
Both have a 24" bar. A 20" now feels tiny to me.

So, 576 Carb, final answer.

Using a "little saw" to limb is for sissies and women and kids under 16. If it hurts your arms, keep using it and soon you'll have enough arm so it won't bother you.

576 CARBED. When the ethanol eats the carb it'll be a lot cheaper to replace than the auto-tune bologna.
I run a 575 as my primary saw for all tasks. The 372 is a backup only. I log with them, and do firewood. I also use them to do trail work for the sled club too.

Using a "little saw" to limb is for sissies and women and kids under 16. If it hurts your arms, keep using it and soon you'll have enough arm so it won't bother you.

curious to know why you think a carb kit would be more expensive?

Incorrect. Both carbs are the same price.

Final answer.

Cmon west coast guys and ozzies!

Waiting for the replies from those two areas that using a lightweight saw like you run with a 24 inch bar is for children and sissies and women. You need to be running a 3120 or an 880 or sp125 with at least a 48 on it, if not longer..it'll build up your muscles!

And that's one handed, with one in each hand, hey, get your production up!

Bwahahahahaha

curious to know why you think a carb kit would be more expensive?

I have never seen "new" tech be the same price to replace as "old" tech. If the fuel delivery system on an auto tune is the same price to replace as a carb, I'd be quite surprised.

Packing it in

Very simple Zogger.

Most people that work in the woods only carry one saw in with them. Ask a logger what he uses for a limbing saw and you'll just get a funny look. Or a not so funny remark questioning you manhood. :msp_biggrin:

If you are close to your truck and a lighter saw is available, then by all means that's the way to go. But that's often not the case, and it's better to have a little too much saw than not enough.

That's why the 372 is such a bullseye. Plenty of power, yet light enough to be workable when limbing out the big tree that you just dropped. And why the little extra weight of the 576 is not well received by the pro guys.

Okey doke, slap forgot about that scenario of packing it in a distance. Of course you'd want a one saw plan that could do all the jobs you needed it for. It was just a real head scratcher for me, I never cut like that, not for a long time anyway. I am always a not very far walk away from the tractor, so I carry multiple saws, extra this and that, axes, a truck jack, a log lifter, chains, come along, ropes, etc with me.

Back