5th wheel tongue

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firmwood

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Scored a 5th wheel tongue , just tongue. Unfortunately it's 10" c channel, not I beam. Uprights, and the run to ball hitch/down post

Question, if I was to finish boxing the c channel with 1/4 plate, shouldn't that be comparable with strength of 10" I beam?

My trailer is an ugly tongue heavy Pintle eye diamond plate deck 24ft triple axle.. Pull pins and tongue slides for 4ft extension. Pull further and it's out. So I'm going to convert it to 5th wheel. Move the weight over the truck axle and be useful instead of hindering @ the bumper. It's raising hell with the 2" Reese.

Opinions? I scored the tongue for $100. Ball type. Not the king pin. . Still, totally worth it alone. Just want to make it a bit beefier.

Sent from my rooted HTC Supersonic using Tapatalk 2 Pro

The c-channel should be plenty strong enough. If you do box it make sure you leave drain holes so moisture can get out. If you can take a pic. it would help.

I'd box the open side, not ends.

Essentially 10x3 tubing in the end.

Sounds like it may be a goose neck, not a 5th wheel.

Then what's a kingpin?

I thought they're both "5th" wheels, as they both sit over the axle.

One be a gooseneck long drop with ball, other be the shorter stubb kingpin?

So there's 4 kinds of trailer? Bumper pull, 5ty wheel, kingpin, and then gooseneck?

Or is kingpin not really a type of hitch?

Why isn't gooseneck considered a 5th wheel? Is a kingpin considered a 6th wheel like semi trailers use?

Guess I'm confused.

Then what's a kingpin?

I thought they're both "5th" wheels, as they both sit over the axle.

One be a gooseneck long drop with ball, other be the shorter stubb kingpin?

So there's 4 kinds of trailer? Bumper pull, 5ty wheel, kingpin, and then gooseneck?

Or is kingpin not really a type of hitch?

Why isn't gooseneck considered a 5th wheel? Is a kingpin considered a 6th wheel like semi trailers use?

Guess I'm confused.

semi trailer,,,is "5" th wheel.....gooseneck is long pipe or equivalent, with hollow in bottom, and lock,,to accept 2 5/16 ball mounted in bed....

So what is a kingpin classified as?

The kingpin is the part of a fifth wheel rig that is attached to the trailer and slides into the notch of the fifth wheel.

Whelp. Guess I'll bring it to padnos.
I need a 5th wheel that uses a ball hitch. ;)

Thanks.

Yeah, it was a joke. Sticking with ball. ~7k# tongue weight

A fifth wheel is a kingpon and saddle, a gooseneck uses a ball and coupler. A fifth wheel is a better setup in my opinion.

Back