6.6L Duramax

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barnie

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Do any of you guys own a GMC 6.6L duramax diesel with the Allison auto trans [ 2007 ] what are some of the problems with these trucks, I'm thinking of buying one and I'm just beginning to research them. Its a 4x4 king cab short box with the 4x4 shifter on the floor.

Man I am JEALOUS! My dream is the GMC CREW DUALLY!and of course 4x4. HEard nothing but good things but pushed one of the road the other day. Lady said that it just quit.

This is probably the wrong forum, but I have a 2004 Duramax.

Only problem was the injectors, which was a 2004 problem. Replaced under warranty, other than that, I have 104,000 miles on it with no problems.

kinda figured I was in the wrong forum

Not if your gonna use it for hauln' firewood:) I've got a 2005 sierra 2500hd (6.0 gas) and it has been very good to me. Man I'd love one of those disel's but I can't justify the cost of a new truck.

injectors, crank sensors( friends truck is one #3), decent truck otherwise.. my major concern for it is no ground clearance..

The cost is a concern! The 07 is a little louder than the 05 from what I hear and fuel mileage seems 1mpg less avr. I have an 05 ext cab long box 107k, the speedometer is bad and the spring broke on the cover of my arm rest between the two seats. Other than that a perfect truck but has a rattle in the steering column because of bad deseign but it just rattles a little bit when taking a corner and the mech. says it will never break, it's just a little loose. 20-22 mpg hwy if I take it easy.

Its for hauling firewood for sure, I considered a gas engine but for loads like 6 - 7 ton I'd burn to much gas as one of my friends bought his truck gas just because the price of diesel was higher and now he regrets this decision.
I would like to buy the dodge with the Cummings engine but I hear so many bad things about the Dodge truck alone, but not the engine I hear its bulletproof.

Around here the most common complaint is fuel related. We have mostly B10 available at the pumps here. The fuel filters dont like that B10 bio mix crap and will need to be changed on a very regular basis. If you have good fuel (not B10) you shouldn't be concerned. Other than that the crank sensors are notorious for problems. Thats all I'm aware of. Great trucks, especially after a few mods.

I have a '97 Cummins 12V. I have had zero problems with the truck or the engine.

My parents have 05 6.6 duramax kingcab, shortbox, 4wd that they pull a 38' trailer all over the U.S. with - other than the rhino liner and fifth wheel attachment in the be its stock. they say the fuel economy is not great pulling the trailer through mountains but other than that very happy with it.

I've got an 04 F250 6.0 Kingcab 4x4 on 35's with air raid intake and SCT tuning - have not towed much weight since buying it last year but happy.

forgot to add you can check thedieselgarage.com for all your diesel truck questions - tons of experts on there for every brand and generation of truck with stock to heavily modified trucks represented.

thats where i did my research before buying my truck.

Its for hauling firewood for sure, I considered a gas engine but for loads like 6 - 7 ton I'd burn to much gas as one of my friends bought his truck gas just because the price of diesel was higher and now he regrets this decision.
Man I love those diesels but too much gas is not a reason to buy diesel. When you factor in how much more you pay for a diesel over gas new or used you could never burn that much more fuel plus factoring in the extra cost of diesel. I am about to put a 4:56 gear in my truck to get more pulling power. People say, man you'll never pass a gas station. I say it still won't add up to the 8grand addition diesel cost.

I have owned a 01' F350 w/banks kit, and 2 duramax. the first duramax 03' was totaled, ran off the rd buy a speeding corvett, pole took out the passenger side and corvett took out drivers side ripping out the rear axel. not one scratch on the whole front. bought an 05' crew 8' bed. the ford couldnt touch them in handling while towing thanks to the allison. no mods to either chevys and pulled great I have a 28' travel trailer and very comfortable towing. the first week of owning the ford it went to the dealer 3 times, ended up w/valve body in trans being replaced. the 03 spent 2 weeks w/anti lock light problems. so far the 05 has been a rock. working on 85,000 and the same sterring problem, just feels loose bad design in sterring shaft. I like the chevys but the ford wasnt bad, either which way it will have problems I dont care who makes it!!!!! my vote is the duramax.

same sterring problem, just feels loose bad design in sterring shaft
I don't know how many models that problem spans but it sounds like the intermediate shaft. My wifes van had it and they replaced it. Solid now.

All I have on it is the cold air intake, otherwise stock. I think 19 mpg is pretty good for a vehicle that weighs almost 4 tons.

Of course, that 19 mpg is on the highway. Around town, in the summer, I get about 17. In the winter, maybe 14-15. Diesels don't like cold, and even with the radiator covered in winter, the engine only gets up to about 185 degrees. It makes the most power and gets the best mileage at around 200-205 degrees.

I use a fuel additive called Power Service, which prevents gelling and raises the cetane level. It feels more powerful and gets maybe another mile per gallon when I use it.

Back