6.6L Duramax

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like its got either a chip or a tuner in it... Stock trucks don't have that much power.

The only diesel I would stay away from is the Ford, great chassis, but a POS engine. The 6.0 had more problems than Ford could deal with, thats why they are fighting the International Contract in court right now.

The GM's are good all around trucks, injectors seem to be the most common issue with them, but its hit and miss. Maybe if its built on a Friday its got some more problems, who knows. They only lack in the off-road category due to IFS and low ground clearance. Look at the side profile of the GM trucks compared to the Ford or Dodge, the frame hangs down below the rocker panels, while the Dodge and Ford frame is tucked up nice and tight.

The Dodge trucks have the best engine, bar none, thanks to Cummins. The 94-02 trucks have crummy front ends, but can easily be fixed with an upgraded track-bar, and PSC steering box. I've had 4 in this era, 3 12V's, and 1 24V... If I was gonna buy another, it'd be a 12V. The 03+ Common Rail trucks are solid trucks all around. The only issue with the Dodge is the Automatic tranny's. The 03+ aren't bad, and will last a long time in a stock truck, same with all trans for that matter. But if you tune or tweak them, be prepared to spend some money building a trans.

The absolute best combo out there is the 03+ Dodge/Cummins 4x4 with the NV5600, or G56 Trans. It gives you the best off-road ability, best pulling power, most reliability, and best mileage. Plus, if you ever decide to tune the motor, all you need is an upgraded clutch and you're driveline is bulletproof. The 03+ trucks don't have front end issues like the 2nd gen Dodges do.

:agree2::agree2:

Very well put and very correct.

Motoroil, I believe that chevy/gmc went for the comfort ride market w/the IFS more so than the others, the ride difference is apples to oranges. No straight axle can compare to the IFS (in respect of ride comfort) but much more durable. Ford finally got away from the twin I beam, now that was J.U.N.K. That is the most thing I dislike about them (gm)the low ground clearance.

The Dana 60 is king. What do people want, a truck or a car. I wish they had stayed with the straight axle.

I only know 2 people that own the Dmax. One has an '09, no problems so far, the other has an '04 I think, and has had injector problems, and the front wheel bearings go out at 70K miles. He now has 92K on the truck and still loves it. I have owned all the brands in my biz, and Ford so far has been the only one you can really work hard and put up wet day in and day out. But fuel mileage isn't great.

My injectors went out right before 100k miles, and were replaced under warranty. GM extended the warranty on the injectors to 200,000 miles a year or so ago (2004 only, I believe).

I'm not sure. One guy told me he paid $5200 (which GM refunded), but I think the dealer saw him coming.

It's an eight hour job, and warranty rates are a little over $80 per hour, so figure $650 for labor. I have a hard time believing that eight injectors cost over $4000.

Whoever was talking about IFS ride comfort, you're right... Its superior. But, I don't mind the ride my SA give me on the highway... Especially with the KORE Coils in the truck. For the $250 I spent on them it was the biggest improvement ever. Plus it keeps the 35's from rubbing.

D-Max injectors aren't cheap... No CR Injectors are anymore.

Ford makes a great truck, no doubt about it... If they could ever get a decent engine in it I'd drive one. The 6.4L is having some troubles now too. And even if it didn't, you have to pull the cab off to change a turbo... That's absurd!

For now, I'll stick with the Dodge, but that may change someday.

I love Ford trucks [ gas ] I've been driving them since I got my licence but all the forums I've been reading about diesels Ford does not have a good standing in the ranks all because of there engine, it was mentioned in this thread that Ford was in court with the engine supplier so maybe Fords diesel engine problem will change soon. Maybe they'll swing a deal with Cummings [ would be nice ]

This thread scares me, I have a 2000 Chevy 2500 4x4
with 110k on it 6.0 motor and the only I have put in it is gas and an oil changes every 5k with synthetic spelling?? I added a new battery a few years ago, so big wooppee. It does everything I ask it to do, goes wherever I need to get, pulls whatever I need it to pull. Sometimes the the heat blows cold and the cold blows hot, and the gas gauge is never right, but the truck has done its due. i was thinking of trading it in and moving up to a deisel or even a newer model but the problems listed here would make anyone run for cover. JMHO

I had an 03 Dmax, loved it, traded for an 06 Dmax with 150ft-lbs more torq just because. The 03 got great gas mileage without even thinking. The 06 can burn fuel because it is just so fun to press down on the throttle. I also have and 07 6.0 gas jobber that is great too. The 6.0 gas tows well but is no match for the Dmax.
I have plowed in my 6.0 gas side by side with and F550 for the past two years. I run a 810 blizzard (huge plow) and the F550 runs a 9' X-blade. The F550 had to go in for front end work in the first year. Haven't had problems with the IFS on the 6.0 gas.
I'm not a huge fan of the reverse gear in the Allison on the Dmax for plowing, its to low, but it is great for backing up trailers.

I was talkin stock to stock comparison. And not a v10, caust chevy ain't got one. I was comparing the duramax to the 6.0, where gas mileage is not that much different. Of course you get more power with a diesel, but is it worth it? Like i said, I only see it as worth it if you are a big time hauler. Very heavy loads all the time. And the 7500 mile oil changes are up to you, but if you do it every 4000, the cost is an issue. 150K is nothing on a gas burner. Chevy LS based motors are long life motors, even in rough environments. 150k is nothing. 150k is nothing on a diesel also, but is is something on glow plugs, cam sensors, crank sensors, and other aggravating things.

The 6.0 doesn't even compare to the 6.6. The 6.0 has no power. Ive had 6.0 and 8.2 gasses and they both are pigs no power. With a tailwind you might get 14.5. I have a 6.6 now with 160 thousand and it will get 17 in town all day long. If you pull anything with that 6.0 you will be lucky to get 10 mpg. Oil change you can go anywhere between 7000 to 10000 miles in between changes. Depending on how hard you are running your truck. You are really ignorant if you think the 6.0 motor will last longer than the 6.6. A diesel gets on average 30% better fuel economy. Here is a great website answers all of your questions. I have had both trucks and I will never by a gas truck again. You can get a programmer for a deisel and gain another 2 miles per gallon. You can just get so much more with a deisel,

http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/

I love Ford trucks [ gas ] I've been driving them since I got my licence but all the forums I've been reading about diesels Ford does not have a good standing in the ranks all because of there engine, it was mentioned in this thread that Ford was in court with the engine supplier so maybe Fords diesel engine problem will change soon. Maybe they'll swing a deal with Cummings [ would be nice ]

we have a 7.3 that has over 400k on it and the heads have never been removed.. the 6.0 is a poor engine, but you remove the EGR coolerm and install head studs( my dealer does both of these if you want) and they run really strong..not as good as a cummins, but a decent motor none the less... the one 6.0 we have has 140k on it since the work was done...

Man I love those diesels but too much gas is not a reason to buy diesel. When you factor in how much more you pay for a diesel over gas new or used you could never burn that much more fuel plus factoring in the extra cost of diesel. I am about to put a 4:56 gear in my truck to get more pulling power. People say, man you'll never pass a gas station. I say it still won't add up to the 8grand addition diesel cost.

My next truck will be diesel 4x4...and IF I get to be picky it will be manual. IF I get to be reeeeaaall picky it will by ext. cab instead of quad/crew cab and have manual (or "on the floor" 4x4).

I have a '01 Chevy 2500HD electronic 4x4 crew cab with the 6.0 gasser. The things above are the things I would change. (I do HATE the "torque management" though!!!!!) I have what I consider good reason for all the changes except the floor 4x4...that's just preference. Bought it at 90,000 and have 155,000 on it now. Transfer case ate a hole in itself (literally) and set me back $2,700 I believe:censored:

wkpoor is only partially right...in my opinion. I buy used...and when I was looking for the my current truck the diesel was a 4-6K option in the used market. So IF resale matters to you it's probably the BEST option to consider for resale value. If you want to run the thing into the ground...it's a good option. I know of several diesels around here that are flat-bed hauler/gopher trucks with over 300,000,000. Yes, a gas will do that too but you're not going to get 300k out of a gasser if it's used like these trucks are. Personally, I don't think its so much the engine as the drivetrains that come with them. (I'm no mechanic though.)

If you like the 6.6L, get it.

My take on diesels right now is:

Dodge- best engine, worst body
Chevy- good engine, best transmission (the allison)
Ford - better engine, and best balance of everything else. (at least the 7.3Ls...my dad has a 6.0, I believe 2007?, last I researched seemed they finally got the kinks worked out then dropped it since they had already ruined it's reputation with previous years.)

BTW, what da heck is with the current trend of rarely making EVEN DIESELS in manual transmission!?!? Want a King Cab in manual...doesn't exist to my knowledge!!?? Same goes for whatever GM's "flagship" package is nowadays.

Back