6.6L Duramax

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 6.0 doesn't even compare to the 6.6. The 6.0 has no power. Ive had 6.0 and 8.2 gasses and they both are pigs no power. With a tailwind you might get 14.5. I have a 6.6 now with 160 thousand and it will get 17 in town all day long. If you pull anything with that 6.0 you will be lucky to get 10 mpg. Oil change you can go anywhere between 7000 to 10000 miles in between changes. Depending on how hard you are running your truck. You are really ignorant if you think the 6.0 motor will last longer than the 6.6. A diesel gets on average 30% better fuel economy. Here is a great website answers all of your questions. I have had both trucks and I will never by a gas truck again. You can get a programmer for a deisel and gain another 2 miles per gallon. You can just get so much more with a deisel,

http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/
I was comparing mileage anyway, not power.
A 6.0 is LS based, just like the 5.3, and 5.7. I have saw lots over 200k. I have a friend that manages an express lube, and he has saw several 6.0 with over 250K. The technology on those motors has been used since at least 1998. Its tried and true. It may not outlast a diesel, but its nothing to sneeze at. I've already answered all my questions in another post, along with all the math. Like i said, diesel is for those who need/can afford it. And it may have more power, but really, a 6.0 can do it too. just slower. But def not a "pig" as you say.

Last edited:
BTW, what da heck is with the current trend of rarely making EVEN DIESELS in manual transmission!?!? Want a King Cab in manual...doesn't exist to my knowledge!!?? Same goes for whatever GM's "flagship" package is nowadays.

I went to Dodge and asked about a king cab manual and the salesman said they might be able to get a manual but not in ext/king cab he said that they are just not asked for by many people, you think they would more manuals or at least make them more available.

I have a '97 Cummins 12V. I have had zero problems with the truck or the engine.

+1. 175K miles. One thermostat, couple sets of front brake pads, one rear shoes, and a lift pump. Fuel it, oil it, drive the heck out of it. 12V 5.9 Cummins is as good as it gets. JMHO. My uncle had a 1 ton duramax / allison. What a turd. 3 trannys in 85K and a set of injectors. Did 1/3 the work my Cummins Dodge did in that time.

BTW, what da heck is with the current trend of rarely making EVEN DIESELS in manual transmission!?!? Want a King Cab in manual...doesn't exist to my knowledge!!?? Same goes for whatever GM's "flagship" package is nowadays.

I went to Dodge and asked about a king cab manual and the salesman said they might be able to get a manual but not in ext/king cab he said that they are just not asked for by many people, you think they would more manuals or at least make them more available.

I have no complaints about the automatics. I pulled a 30' goose neck loaded to the hilt 900 miles and up and down the mountains in New Mexico and ran away from my boss who was driving the same year as mine 05 Dodge. He was pulling a 30' travel trailer with a 6 speed manual.

WOW horseshoe I have a little time in the auto business, but three trans w/in 85k miles?? I would think he would be driving a newer truck. I had an 03 w/anti-lock brake issues. The third time in I handed my salesman the keys (keep in mind this was 4 weeks after buying it) find me another one, wheres the president of your dealership. I never made it that far but they had one traded in that evening. Eventually they just replaced everything that had to do w/anti-lock brakes. Never looked back, then I totaled it, hit by a Corvette of all cars, ripped the rear axle completely out bending the frame:mad:

three trans w/in 85k miles?? I would think he would be driving a newer truck. I had an 03 w/anti-lock brake issues. The third time in I handed my salesman the keys (keep in mind this was 4 weeks after buying it) find me another one, wheres the president of your dealership. I never made it that far but they had one traded in that evening. Eventually they just replaced everything that had to do w/anti-lock brakes.

It's true. A true lemon from day one. He also went through the whole make a scene in the sales / service dept, I'm going to drive it into the showroom floor and park it type situation. First two trannys were pulled at dealer and crated w/o dealer inspection. Third was installed, driven 5 weeks, dropped to 2nd gear on the interstate at 70+ MPH. Almost cause a crash, don't know what kept the engine from coming from together. Towed it back to the dealer and was offered a gas burning 6.0. He declined.

does anyone here own a Ford deisel???? just asking. if so what are your thoughts about your truck, do you like it ?? any problems with it ??

does anyone here own a Ford deisel???? just asking. if so what are your thoughts about your truck, do you like it ?? any problems with it ??

I've already stated... our 99 7.3 has over 400k on it and is running strong... my grandfather bought a 6.0(05 i think) and after the EGR blockoff and head studs it pulls as well as the duramax it replaced.. IMO, all 3 have issues.. some are cheaper to fix than others.. I liked the Allison auto a little better, but the ford feels more stable with a heavy load(both trucks were ex-cab SRW 1 tons).. we'd still have the d-max, had it not been totaled..

2000 F250 ext cab 4x4 with the 7.3L PSD.

2 years ago when I decided to by a 3/4 ton diesel I sought the 1999-2003 range specifically because of the 7.3. Some have had luck with the later 6.0s, and some probably like the 6.4s, but the 7.3 is tried and true so I found me one.

Right now I have 270,000 KMs (±168,000 miles) on the truck and have zero complaints. It rides nice, pushes a plow well, pulls a trailer well, and I love going on trips with it - putting on the cruise control and rolling down the highway is a great feeling.

Yes, I like it. I don't know that I will ever own another truck. If this one ever starts to show its age I believe that I will take it down to the frame and rebuild it.

HTH

I have no complaints about the automatics. I pulled a 30' goose neck loaded to the hilt 900 miles and up and down the mountains in New Mexico and ran away from my boss who was driving the same year as mine 05 Dodge. He was pulling a 30' travel trailer with a 6 speed manual.

Same truck? Same load weight?

Either something wasn't equal or he didn't know how to drive it to it's full potential. Nothing wrong with auto's but they will leech a tiny bit.

....unless your boss had a slipping clutch?

I'm not saying I could "race" a manual better than an auto...but I do feel I have more control and feel "safer" with a manual.

Same truck? Same load weight?

Either something wasn't equal or he didn't know how to drive it to it's full potential. Nothing wrong with auto's but they will leech a tiny bit.

....unless your boss had a slipping clutch?

I'm not saying I could "race" a manual better than an auto...but I do feel I have more control and feel "safer" with a manual.

I had the heavier load by far. Nothing wrong with his clutch either and like me he has driven trucks all his life. Yes both are 05 CTD. I feel safe hauling loads like that but I am very careful also. Everyone who has ridden in my truck says it has a lot more get up and go than his. I have driven his plenty and the only thing I noticed are that he is lower geared than mine.

Latest posts

Back