660+20" bar & 8 pin sprocket?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dapper Dan

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Some weekends I get together with some of the local yokels at the welding shop here in my little town. The fella that runs this shop is a GREAT welder, a good guy and charges 1980's welding prices. His only source of heat, for his shop, is a homemade outside wood burner. I call it "the Termite" cause it is a wood eatin SOB. The building is a old brick (over 100 years) building. it was once a stage stop on the old M.A.M. trail. If you stand outside at night, with the inside lights on.....you can see light in places thru the bricks!

It is kinda a gathering place, of an evening, and the fridge is always full of beer...AND....the bar is right next door.

In appreciation, many of the locals (mostly farmers) drop off all sizes of various hardwood logs, to help out.

Most Saturday afternoons, in the cold months, will find 4 to 8 locals present to cut up and split said firewood. A mini GTG.... if you will.

I have taken to showing up at many of these just for the excuse to use my saws. See THIS THREAD

Most of these boys just have smaller home owner or mid range saws (290's and such) and are usually glad to see me show up with the big dogs when the free stuff is too big for em.

They think I am some kind of chainsaw expert just because I repeat some of the stuff I have learned here! :)

I've even modded some of their mufflers.

Anyway...I digress. I currently have a 36" bar (with skip chain) and a 28" (with full comp) and seven tooth sprocket for my 660. I was thinkin of usein one of my 20" bars (I have extras) with a 8 or 9 tooth sprocket at our next gathering, on the 660, just to show the boys how fast a saw can cut. How will these two sprockets sizes affect my drive link count for a 20" chain?

I thought about a 24-5" bar for the 660 but I already have a Dolmar 7900 with a 24" bar.

I had a 9 pin on my 372 at the PNW gtg with the standard DL count for the bar. No additional DLs needed.

Ian

The standard size chain may fit if you put the chain on the sprocket and bar then mount them all together ie. remove both 9T & bar, add chain, re-mount all three at same time. Tight fit but works for me. :)

9 tooth should fit 20 inch bar if I remember right, but may be tight on a 16 inch. Depends on what brand bar also.

With a little grinding on the bar heal a 10 can be run, and with decent chain a stock 066 will even do well with it.

Front roller of a belt sander does a nice job on a bar heal, angle grinder will work too, and a fine cut off wheel can be used to reprofile the bar slotts where they come to the edge of the bar heal.

My dealer asked me if i was running an 8 pin when i had some 24-25" chain made up. "8 pin will be easier to get chain off & on with 85 dl instead of 84" seems to work good so far.

Running big gears and long chains can be a problem for derailing the chain. Running big gears holds the chain up further off the rail at the bar heal, then if DLs are added the rails are moved further from the rim compounding the problem.

Safer to move the bar in closer and trim it to fit, that way the heal is wider where the chain runs onto it.

Ive been playing around with sprockets on my 660 and have found that I really like the 8 pin with a 20" bar. It gives more chain speed, and is still easy to keep the saw from bogging. You definitely lose a lot of time if you get out of the powerband.

Ive been playing around with sprockets on my 660 and have found that I really like the 8 pin with a 20" bar. It gives more chain speed, and is still easy to keep the saw from bogging. You definitely lose a lot of time if you get out of the powerband.

Did the standard 72 dl chain fit with the 8 pin?

That sounds like a lot of fun. I bet it really goes through stuff over a foot thick.:chainsaw:

Did the standard 72 dl chain fit with the 8 pin?

It will but it's tight and a PITA to do it, at least it is on my 066. Another drive link would make things a lot simpler I'm sure. It's either that or modify the tail of the bar, something I won't do. I had the exact same issues with an 088.

In reading this it appears that the shorter the bar the more of an issue it is. On mine it was a 24" bar.

Ian

If you really want to show em'...do this...

Mod the muffler and then run the 8T and 20" bar...that'll show em' how fast a saw will cut.....it will be a WOW factor...... My 660's muffler........:greenchainsaw: :cheers:

I had zero problems putting an 8 pin on my 390xp with 24" bar. Cuts great too.

It's definitely a Stihl thing. I believe It's only on the 066 and 088, so I've been told. Those are the only two I've had a problem with. However, they are also the only two I've attempted to step up in sprocket size.

Latest posts

Back