660 filter kit

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Take your air filter off - run the saw. Put your clean filter back on, run again. If there is a big difference, maybe you'll benefit. Don't be confused by the louder saw (intake noise) with no filter - do timed cuts.

Me? I'd spend the money on something else.

A DP muffler front will give you the biggest gain.

Acctually lake, doing that tends to speed saws up esp if they are a tad on the rich side to start. I think though more than the losses from filter restriction you are seeing fuel spit back out the carb leaning the mix a little, plus it throughs the intilecarb off a bit opening the top of the diaphram to the outside air pressure.

Check the saw with tack filter on, then pull filter off lot of times it gains a couple 100 RPM, if its an old 026 with small old style POS filter it might gain 1000 RPM or more.

Take your air filter off - run the saw. Put your clean filter back on, run again. If there is a big difference, maybe you'll benefit. Don't be confused by the louder saw (intake noise) with no filter - do timed cuts.

Me? I'd spend the money on something else.

A DP muffler front will give you the biggest gain.

As usual very well put, :)

There was a thread on here some time ago with documentation of air flow thru various filter setups. I think just removing the outer cover off the stock stihl hd filter system flowed as much or more air as the high flow kit. You would have to check your filter more often because the outer cover catches the fine stuff. Like Andy said, the ported muffler with a carb adjustment, really increased the power and snap of my 066. I left the stock filter alone because I want the extra filtration. I have heard the high flow filter covers are prone to breaking also.

I dont know about makin anymore power but i run them on most of my choppin saws primarily because they filter just so much better. i was never too impressed with the 044/066 to 440/660 air filtration.

Did you read the AWESOME reviews?? LOL, there weren't any.

Well it does state that it will flow more CFM, but that doesn't say that more CFM is needed?

I'd leave the filter stock if it was my saw, but you know what they say about opinions!

I think I'll stick with the stock. If I don't know enough about it to know if it will help, I should probably just use the machine the way the Stihl built it.

I'm not at all any expert, but I did buy that exact kit.

I like the foam filter over the HD setup, it comes with both a green and white version and the white is a smaller pore size for better filtration. Overall, I think the only real advantage is a larger surface area so it can probably run longer before getting too dirty.

Performance was pretty close per some flow testing done previously. You'd have to run it without the top cover to get the most out of it.

With that said, there's the cover. Don't expect the cover to fit very well and look factory. For starters the cover is a very different bright orange than Stihl uses so it won't match. Also there's plenty of gaps around the front side, it doesn't really give you the impression that it's a perfect match like the stock covers.

In the end if you didn't have an air filter or cover from a parts saw or you wanted a filter that'll go longer between cleanings, I think it's probably a decent buy. I wouldn't hang my hat on some big performance gain though, and the fit/finish/cosmetic side is not very good.

My 2c.

If I remember right 066 flows only slightly more than 30 cfm, might get up to 45-50 cfm or a ported saw. Well below the max rating of a stock filter.

Acctually lake, doing that tends to speed saws up esp if they are a tad on the rich side to start. I think though more than the losses from filter restriction you are seeing fuel spit back out the carb leaning the mix a little, plus it throughs the intilecarb off a bit opening the top of the diaphram to the outside air pressure.

Check the saw with tack filter on, then pull filter off lot of times it gains a couple 100 RPM, if its an old 026 with small old style POS filter it might gain 1000 RPM or more.

I agree on some saws.. but I don't see much difference on an 066 HD. MS200T for example.. yes.. big difference. Spit back on some saws it a problem for filters- it coats the filters and if not removed now and then, makes a varnish after dissolving wood resins. the 029 family is real bad...

Yep, the 066 is working well within the limits of the filter, but put a stop watch on it good chain in good consistent wood and the difference can be picked out.

If I get a chance I will put some filters on the flow bench and see how they do. Been wanting to do that for a while, but work gets in the way.

Back