660 or 390??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:D
The H may be fine but the L/idle isn't right. It took too many pulls for that 660 to fire, that is a fact not biased.

btw, I got a 460 that will runs circles around your 390.:D

I choked it warm and flooded it bro.. hence the reason it didn't fire right away. I have always had a tendancy to choke stihls even though they are warm, and I flood'm because of that all the time....not the saws fault my fault. That stihl starts on the 1st pull everytime my buddy runs it. I'll bet you didn't want to hear that huh?:D

Tree'Slinger has spoken.

Last edited:
390xp for me, no brainer. I have sold all but 2 of my modded 660s and sawped them for modded 390s.
Today 02:56 PM

What are those huskies giving you that the stihls were'nt?-I'm still on the fence as far as brand choice is concerned.....still deciding.......

All the service guys here all swear those stihls are much more reliable and easier to work on.

But my 268 keeps hollering,from out in the shed -YOU TRAITOR COME BAAAAAAAACK............

:D

I choked it warm and flooded it bro.. hence the reason it didn't fire right away. I have always had a tendancy to choke stihls even though they are warm, and I flood'm because of that all the time....not the saws fault my fault. That stihl starts on the 1st pull everytime my buddy runs it. I'll bet you didn't want to hear that huh?:D

That's cool, makes no difference to me. I was offering friendly advice.:D

390xp for me, no brainer. I have sold all but 2 of my modded 660s and sawped them for modded 390s.

I think I understand; Stock the Stihl has more power, but the Husky has much better AV and air filtration (+ a little less weight) - I am sure the power differense at least evens out when they both are modded......

I think I understand; Stock the Stihl has more power, but the Husky has much better AV and air filtration (+ a little less weight) - I am sure the power differense at least evens out when they both are modded......

Stock I would assume the 660 has more, it is rated so. But, I get gains from the Huskies that I don't from the 660s. The 390 is lighter, smoother with more modded power. Plus it is cheaper.

But, then again many guys like stock. If so buy the Stihl.

Stock I would assume the 660 has more, it is rated so. But, I get gains from the Huskies that I don't from the 660s. The 390 is lighter, smoother with more modded power. Plus it is cheaper.

But, then again many guys like stock. If so buy the Stihl.

Those two posts carry more water than all the blind Stihl followers could post in a month of caffeine fueled Stihl leg humping that goes on around here...

LOL, depends how much time you want your saw to be in the shop. If you want it to be in every other day, the 390 is for you.:clap:

Case in point.

Ok husky experts. Heres what i gather about the 390, it appears to me weight wise and power it seems to be very 372 like, meaning one of husky's best all time models. My question is does the 390 have an inboard clutch and I found a dealer that has old stock so the prices arent through the roof, i can get one with a 32" for $900, is that a good deal? I want a 660 but after running the newer stihls I have to say i'm really liking the new av and not having to clean filters four times a day which the husky win that one. I was thinkin the 390 for now and seeing what stihl does with the 661.

first of all i have no experience with either saw, and secondly this is not a anti stihl post. i have always wanted a 660.

i think i read that some of the new stihls quality(regarding cylinders) had dropped quite considerably recently in some models, 660 being one of them.
i think it was from Timberwolf, but i could be wrong....

serg

I am amazed how people clean the chips out of a 460/660 and say nothing....it's embaressing compared to the cleanliness of the bigger Huskys.

I am amazed how people clean the chips out of a 460/660 and say nothing....it's embaressing compared to the cleanliness of the bigger Huskys.

That never been a problem for me. I can usually get 7-8 tanks through mine before noticing a difference in cutting performance. By 8 tanks, that 32" bar is working on my back and its time for a break anyway, only takes a few seconds to knock the filter out or swap pre-filters or use a another clean filter. Do I like the 441s system better? Yup, but it's not going to run with my ported 460...

I will add that if I can see some proof that a ported 441 can run with a ported 460, I will leave the 460....

Last edited:
That never been a problem for me. I can usually get 7-8 tanks through mine before noticing a difference in cutting performance. By 8 tanks, that 32" bar is working on my back and its time for a break anyway, only takes a few seconds to knock the filter out or swap pre-filters or use a another clean filter. Do I like the 441s system better? Yup, but it's not going to run with my ported 460...

I will add that if I can see some proof that a ported 441 can run with a ported 460, I will leave the 460....

You don't have to apologize or defend it. It is what it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rztm0HM9XzE

Back