660 palm rot

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CR888

CR888

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
lnteresting stuff, that damage is really rotten. Looks like having a capable chinese saw has its benefits. l quit cutting the other day running a MS261 with 18"325/063 in some hard 24" gum. lt had really thick blood red sap oozing out of it when you cut a round off and the stuff bound up the chain not letting oil get to where it was needed. l should have been using a 70cc+ saw but we all been there with to much or too little saw. l went back and finished it with .404 and a 660 which really made a difference but that sap could really annoy you. l am glad l never cut palms.

Rudolf73

Rudolf73

Addicted to ArboristSite
lnteresting stuff, that damage is really rotten. Looks like having a capable chinese saw has its benefits. l quit cutting the other day running a MS261 with 18"325/063 in some hard 24" gum. lt had really thick blood red sap oozing out of it when you cut a round off and the stuff bound up the chain not letting oil get to where it was needed. l should have been using a 70cc+ saw but we all been there with to much or too little saw. l went back and finished it with .404 and a 660 which really made a difference but that sap could really annoy you. l am glad l never cut palms.

Yes I know the stuff you are talking about. I was also cutting red gum in VIC and had the chain bind up on me with that red stuff. A real pain, 660 was about the only saw that would do the job.

CR888

CR888

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Yes I know the stuff you are talking about. I was also cutting red gum in VIC and had the chain bind up on me with that red stuff. A real pain, 660 was about the only saw that would do the job.
l went through three chains that day and got nowhere, you could barely see the rivets on the chain it was gummed up so much. The bar nose sprocket jammed and l had to hit wood with the bar sprocket to get it turning. I wouldn't give in and got to the point with three forked chains and a bar you could fry bacon on. 404 semi skip did the trick the next day bit sheez that wood was a saw wrecker.

Rudolf73

Rudolf73

Addicted to ArboristSite
l went through three chains that day and got nowhere, you could barely see the rivets on the chain it was gummed up so much. The bar nose sprocket jammed and l had to hit wood with the bar sprocket to get it turning. I wouldn't give in and got to the point with three forked chains and a bar you could fry bacon on. 404 semi skip did the trick the next day bit sheez that wood was a saw wrecker.

Yup that sounds familiar. What I found helps a bit is running the saw out of the cut after every big cut to oil the chain properly. Then every half hour or so take the bar off and clean the groves/rails, it will be all caked up solid in there and nowhere for the oil to run.