660vs395

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Who makes the Pro Sharp and how much do they set you back? I've got square chisel on the 660 and it sinks through the oak like it was melted butter. It is noticably faster than the round ground chisel I ran.

The Pro Sharp is Silvey's top square grinder and they are certainly overpriced because no competition. (around two grand).

They do have some cheaper models that some are happy with.

My 372 must be "special" because it took about 10 tanks to run right, and has really gained power at about 15 tanks. When I first got it I was a little disappointed due to it didn't have outlandish power. Now after 15 tanks and a muffler mod, I'm all smiles!

Both my dealers (Stihl and Husky) says about 10 litres/15 tanks.......;)

Troll,

Sounds consistent with my experience on the 372. On my 346 things happened a little quicker. It loosened up considerably the first tank of gas, then gradually over the next 10. I was probably at about 90% power after that first tank.

The 372 was very different in that I couldn't adjust the carb precisely until I had about the first 10 tanks through it. It wouldn't hold a setting. It would "burble" both sides of right during the same tank of gas! I tried using a tach, but it was all over the place. I did close my muffler mod a little, being afraid it was breathing a little too freely.

Now it holds adjustments fine. Figure that?

Timberhauler, Ever get that 3120?

And with all your saws, I say you need a pro sharp. Will change your life.

or round?????

Timber, how bad did the 088 blow the 3120 away?:jester: :rock:

The 3120 came in earlier last week.I've played with it a time or two out at the dumpsite....I've been stuck on the same job since clearing and chipping three acres of pine trees that are 24 inches and down,so that is not a worthy place to compare the two...Probably towards the end of the week,I'm taking down a couple of red oaks that are over 32 inches,and a hickory on the same job that is about 24 inches...I'm gonna take the mighty 088 and the new 3120 out there and see how they compare...I regret buying the 3120,it may be for sale soon because I really hate using those big saws all day...The 395 or the 660 will do everything the 3120 or the 088 will do around here with the exception of a few trees here and there and are much easier on the back....BUT,the bigger saws will do it just a little faster.:D

The 3120 came in earlier last week.I've played with it a time or two out at the dumpsite....I've been stuck on the same job since clearing and chipping three acres of pine trees that are 24 inches and down,so that is not a worthy place to compare the two...Probably towards the end of the week,I'm taking down a couple of red oaks that are over 32 inches,and a hickory on the same job that is about 24 inches...I'm gonna take the mighty 088 and the new 3120 out there and see how they compare...I regret buying the 3120,it may be for sale soon because I really hate using those big saws all day...The 395 or the 660 will do everything the 3120 or the 088 will do around here with the exception of a few trees here and there and are much easier on the back....BUT,the bigger saws will do it just a little faster.:D

Don't sell the 3120 before you chance report on it alongside the 088.

In terms of the 066 and 395, I think mine could pull even a 50 inch bar okay with fresh square, as the 42 really is no problem for the occasional larger stuff. My only reluctance on running a 50 or longer inch bar with the 066 or 395 is that I don't think the oiler is really up to the job. I assume the big guys put out a lot more oil.

That 395 oiler should be pretty stout. I remember covering my chaps in oil with a 394 and 42" bar. :rockn:

Did you forget to screw the oil cap in tight? I do that every now and again.

Just kidding. I find the 066 and 395 oilers just fine to about 42 inches. I don't have a longer bar, but I think I would want even more oil yet when burying like a 60 incher. Here's a post from a couple days ago where I showed pics of the lastest stick I brought home. 066 with 42 inches coming buried in a 53 inch stick. The 395 pulls a 42 about the same as the 066 as long as I don't get too heavy handed.

http://www.billluce.com/pumkinjpgs/pumkinjpgs/8557.JPG

Nice pic!

THat is a stick I brought home Friday. I posted some pics in

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=30765

in posts 37, 74, 86. I don't remember how to build links right to those posts.... I think it was chowdozer that called me out on standing on a plastic chair to start one of the cuts....hehe

With fresh square the 42 inch bar drops right down through the log. So I think it would pull a 50, but except I want more oil. That size saw's oiler just wasn't made for chains that long.

Bturner, DAMN. nice pics. LOTS of wood. I'd be millin' it, but can't knock you for keeping warm. I agree with you on the oiler thing. I've got a 394XP, but they're comparable. These saws, IMHO, just weren't meant for regular use of bars that big. When I'm milling anything over 28", (only a couple times really), I want a lot more oil, even with the oiler set to max. I've got to put a little helper jug together sometime. Unfortunately, you can't put a helper onto a bar when you're cutting big rounds!!!! :hmm3grin2orange:

Bturner, DAMN. nice pics. LOTS of wood. I'd be millin' it, but can't knock you for keeping warm.

Cutting and bringing home sticks that size is way too much work for just firewood.

I'll be making bowls out of it. Got a perfect cylinder on the lather right now that is 18 inches diameter and and 15 inches tall. I'll show a pic when I get time to resize the image from my camera.

Milling boards is nasty work (done a bit of it, have two CSMs) but at least when you are done you are done. With me, cutting up the wood is just the beginning of the work. Like that piece I just roughed. Probably weighed 250 and was a bugger to get on the lathe by myself. If I had more floor space I would get a engine hoist or something.

Bturner, DAMN. nice pics. LOTS of wood. I'd be millin' it, but can't knock you for keeping warm.

Here's a pic of one of the blocks. Trimmed down to fit on lathe, and then turned into a cylinder with all defects removed. Cylinder here is 18 diameter by 15 inches height.

I still haven't got a chance to try out the 3120,but by running it down at the wood piles I'm a little disappointed in it...So far,I'd rather just use one of the 395's than to chug the extra weight around.

I still haven't got a chance to try out the 3120,but by running it down at the wood piles I'm a little disappointed in it...So far,I'd rather just use one of the 395's than to chug the extra weight around.

I have run a 395 alot and never run a 3120, but I am guessing you throw a 60 inch bar on each and then it'd be a different story. But the question is really how often does a 42 inch bar not do the job for you. For me seldom, so as much as I want a 3120 or 880, I can't justify one yet.

I was underimpressed with the 3120 I bought used and ran it with the 36" bar that came with it. When I used it with the 60" Canon Superbar I picked up off ebay I changed my mind. I'm not used to standing Knee deep in chips. :rockn:

I have run a 395 alot and never run a 3120, but I am guessing you throw a 60 inch bar on each and then it'd be a different story. But the question is really how often does a 42 inch bar not do the job for you. For me seldom, so as much as I want a 3120 or 880, I can't justify one yet.

The 3120 has a 42 on it right now...So does my 088...I do have a 60 for both saws,and occasionally I need every bit of it,but not often...Maybe 8 to 10 times a year...I think I may sell the 3120...I have no need,and I'm not that impressed by it.

The 3120 has a 42 on it right now...So does my 088...I do have a 60 for both saws,and occasionally I need every bit of it,but not often...Maybe 8 to 10 times a year...I think I may sell the 3120...I have no need,and I'm not that impressed by it.

Those are two large saws. How long have you had the 3120 and the 880.:cheers:

I bought the 088 back in 2001...The 3120 is brand new...For once,I'm partial to the Stihl here...I wish I hadn't bought the 3120.

Timberhauler
Good choice I think the 088 is a far better saw myself.But you sure have alot of saws how guys do you have working for you.

Latest posts

Back