661 - 20" 24" 28" 32" 36" in same wood...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two variables here, one, how much chain deflection if you pull on it say at mid bar at the bottom? Those have to be the same. Those results will be related to chain tightness, which impacts friction. A second way to measure that, no idea...

Redbull, I appreciate your posts a great deal, love the bar pics on your stihls. Nice machines no doubt but would be curious to see your thoughts of a Husqvarna one day. Im on the fence between the 2 and find both have theyre place. Anyhow, there are a lot of respectable people that have been a great help. Thank You. Stay Safe!

Keep in mind the 20" bar may be faster in wood that does not exceed 19". When you bury a bar, it is not working as efficiently as it could. Having the 24" cut with their tips may have also slowed them a bit. His test may be reflective of the wood size.

also did this test with the 660 and 461 a while back...

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/660-same-wood-w-20-24-28-32-36-also-461.264521/

----------------------------------------------------
back to this 661 test...based on the fact that times really didn't change much going from 36" down to 24" tips exposed on all of the cuts. To me it seems unlikely there would be much of a difference going down another 4" to 20" even if the wood was say 15" instead of the 19-20" that it was.
--------------------------------------------------------

oh heck here is another one! lol yeah that's right I re-did the 461 test cuz the wood shrunk or something. yeah I did it again this time with the 661 and used the thermal gun to see the temps...which I didn't have on the prior tests.

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/stihl-461-different-length-bars-in-same-wood.267226/

in this one the 20" is the fastest..but not by much.

In all of these tests it seems the 28" is the top dog...and I think it's IMPORTANT to note - these are NOT the same bars. I've bought and sold and re-bought several times.

The surprising anomaly seems to be that the 28" bar consistently out performs the 24" bar. Other than that, the 20" or 28" always seem to have the fastest times. I'm searching my mind for a logical explanation, and coming up empty. I know you used factory RS, but could it just be the chain?

Mike, yeah in this one the 20" and 24" tip had from what I can tell the same amount of tip exposure out of the wood and the times ended up like so...

20" 15.0 14.7
24" 15.9 15.6
28" 15.3 15.4
32" 15.8 16.4
36" 17.5 17.2

interesting the 28" beat the 24". Well there is something to be said for the 28" bar on the 461, 660, & 661.

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/stihl-461-different-length-bars-in-same-wood.267226/

The surprising anomaly seems to be that the 28" bar consistently out performs the 24" bar. Other than that, the 20" or 28" always seem to have the fastest times. I'm searching my mind for a logical explanation, and coming up empty. I know you used factory RS, but could it just be the chain?

I dunno man. that's 4 different tests, with multiple new chains, multiple different bars, and 3 different saws. I dunno...something to be said about the 28". At least on 461 660 & 661.

Latest posts

Back