661 Oil Test 32:1 vs 40:1 vs 50:1 ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In another oil thread we had I talked with the Maxima tech and he told me the thicker oils do impede combustion and wasnt what we needed in our saws. I presented the idea the tech had told me on that thread but if I recall correctly I was told several times I was over thinking it?? Lol!! Guess it doesn't hurt to overthink sometimes
Anyone that doesn't just pour in a 50:1 bottle of OEM oil is probably overthinking[emoji3]

Anyone that doesn't just pour in a 50:1 bottle of OEM oil is probably overthinking[emoji3]
I dont agree with that one Chris but I do think your Lucas is just fine. I ran several quarts through a heavy ported cr85 at 32to1with o issues. Bwalker has had alota great points he brought forth in this thread and Redbulls test opened alota eyes! I wont run 50to1 as I see alota weedtrimmers, blowers ,and saws that ive opened up running 50to1 oil and mostly ultra because people assume its best? Ive seen alota scoring and overheated cylinders with it. This 1986 husky 181 im working on now was ran with a variety of oils @ 32to1 with mininal carbon buildup and scoring and wear was almost non existent

I thought the K2 had a different idle .......... couldn't smoothe it out as well as the R50 and the 800 off road, maybe it was just me. I started trying Lucas; seems to run and lube as well as 800, but R50 is still the best looking and running in every application so far ............. the smell can be "too much" sometimes, so that puts 800 off road and Lucas as my top 3.

Call me crazy, but I might just mix R50 and 800 off road 50/50 just to see if it works and if I like it on one of my "beater" 2 stroke motors that sees ethanol.
I like the "tropical" coconut smell of the 800 off-road. I'm not sure if the 710 smells the same. A friend of mine that has a lawn service said he uses Husqvarna and Redmax 2-cycle oil and hasn't had any engine issues.

I dont agree with that one Chris but I do think your Lucas is just fine. I ran several quarts through a heavy ported cr85 at 32to1with o issues. Bwalker has had alota great points he brought forth in this thread and Redbulls test opened alota eyes! I wont run 50to1 as I see alota weedtrimmers, blowers ,and saws that ive opened up running 50to1 oil and mostly ultra because people assume its best? Ive seen alota scoring and overheated cylinders with it. This 1986 husky 181 im working on now was ran with a variety of oils @ 32to1 with mininal carbon buildup and scoring and wear was almost non existent
Keith, after you get that old Husky 181 back together post a few pics....piston pics if you have time. What's the compression of that 181 after you deleted the base gasket? I'm staying with 32:1 myself.

Keith, after you get that old Husky 181 back together post a few pics....piston pics if you have time. What's the compression of that 181 after you deleted the base gasket? I'm staying with 32:1 myself.
Already cleaned the carbon and piston up but the old saw wont be a looker as the guy was only concerned with function . I offered to order him a new topcover and clutch cover but no go!! Lol!! I wanted to do a full restore for him but wasnt important to the customer

Compression went from 170 to around 190 to 195 by just deleting the gasket

I'm using up the R50 at 40:1 in my string trimmer and blower, it smells decent also. The chainsaws will get to try some Yamalube.

Latest posts

Back