6x10 or 6x12 dumper?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sb47

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I’m in the market for a dumper again, 6x10 or 6x12 with a swing gate, that will haul 7000lbs max.
I see two basic types, ones with a single and double hydraulic cylinders. Is one better then the other?
Does brand dictate quality? it will need to be a bumper pull.

Thanks Dennis

I wouldn't go 12 if you only are getting a 7k trailer.
Mine is 6x10 7k and I love it. Depending on what you plan to haul with it I might get the one with the tires under the bed instead of a low profile like I have now. When dumping wood you have to drive away from it so it spreads the load out, not terrible just sayin'.
I like my sides at 2' also.
dave

Thanks, I’m leaning towards a 6x12 footer.
10 feet seem a little short and in my experience short trailers like to do the wiggles down the road.

Having a low profile would pull better with a lower since of gravity. But having a place for spar tires would be nice. A higher profile would pull better in the woods with better ground clearance.
What about the single or duel hydraulic cylinders, witch are better?

Thanks, I’m leaning towards a 6x12 footer.
10 feet seem a little short and in my experience short trailers like to do the wiggles down the road.

Trailers "wiggle" when they are loaded with more weight behind the axle than in front. Think of it like throwing darts or shooting arrows. The heavy end always gets to the target first. If you load a trailer with more weight behind the axle than in front the trailer you're gonna be in trouble no matter how long the trailer is.

Trailers "wiggle" when they are loaded with more weight behind the axle than in front. Think of it like throwing darts or shooting arrows. The heavy end always gets to the target first. If you load a trailer with more weight behind the axle than in front the trailer you're gonna be in trouble no matter how long the trailer is.

That’s very true load balance is the key. But maybe with a12 footer I stand a better chance of getting the heaver weight to the front then with a10 footer.
Plus I can cut my logs a little longer.

Well I added 2500 lb supper springs and heavy duty shocks on the truck, so I can handle a little more bumper weight.
Remember I’m pulling a 16 footer now with a 7000lb weight limit, but its not a dumper.

½ ton truck with empty 16 foot trailer.

Steer axel 2440
Drive axel 2560
Trailer axel 2000
Total gross weight 7000lb

Same truck with loaded 16” trailer

Steer 1920
Drive 3800
Trailer 8080
Total 13800lb

And she pulled very nice at this weight arrangement.

The way it was explained to me is that a single cylinder scissor lift is better than two regular cylinders because there can be no twisting of the trailer as it's going up if loaded, side to side unevenly. But when not talking about it being a scissor lift trailer I would think a twin cylinder model may be better than a single cylinder. Double axle trailers are not as sensitive to wobble due to uneven, front to back loading. I have an 82" x 14' PJ Trailers dump trailer that has a 14k gvw. My F-250 HD is rated at 13,800 towing capacity so it works out pretty nicely. They are also great for hauling brush out of customers sites as well because at the mulch yard, you just back up to the pile, open the tailgate, dump, pull forward, lower the trailer, close the gate and drive away while the other guys are still hand unloading thier trucks and trailers.:msp_wink:

I have a 14' with scissor lift and three way gate. It is a Load/Trail. Been a perfect trailer.

I got 2 grand set aside now, when the kitty gets big enough, I will get a dumper.
So tired of unloading by hand.:dizzy: If I didn’t need more then one trailer id sell the 16 foot and buy the dumper. But a working man needs many trailers.

Sad thing is I had the money but a rash of bad luck and high repair cost magically took it away from me.:msp_sad:

Still not sure of the type of dumper yet, but its on the top of my list. :angry2:

I have a 14' with scissor lift and three way gate. It is a Load/Trail. Been a perfect trailer.

Also have loadtrail with scissor lift. Had it since 1995. I figure it has dumped 200-300 times per year and hasn't failed met yet. Has twin 7k axels. Eats tires and brakes but no issues with the lift.

From my experience in towing my 16,000 lb RV, I would find the closest weight of the wood and trailer, compare that to the towing weight on the truck, and never get any combination I couldn't stop when needed. A lot of trucks can tow very well, but stopping is more important. Nothing will suck up the rear more than trying to stop a load that is pushing you and you can't do anything about it. Believe me when I say it.

From my experience in towing my 16,000 lb RV, I would find the closest weight of the wood and trailer, compare that to the towing weight on the truck, and never get any combination I couldn't stop when needed. A lot of trucks can tow very well, but stopping is more important. Nothing will suck up the rear more than trying to stop a load that is pushing you and you can't do anything about it. Believe me when I say it.

10-4
That’s why I have breaks on both axels on my 16 footer.
It ain’t how fast you can tow it, but how fast can you shut it down!

I have a 6x12 with dual 7k axles. It is a twin cylinder that is for sure slower than a scissor, but in my experiences, everything with a scissor winds up being half unloaded by hand anyway. I'm assuming you plan to use it for wood and 6x2x10'8" is a cord. I usually throw a few extra in the back to keep people happy, but its a good way to measure the amount of wood you are hauling. 6x2x12 is also 5.33 yds, another convenient measurement.

Thanks for the replies so far.
I come from a background where it drove and operated a tree spade for over 20 years.
All the spades have twin lift cylinders, and I have use the spade itself at so many different angles getting myself unstuck, and I never had a problem with twisting, and were talking with a 10.000lb tree and dirt plus the weight of the spade.

With one exception, another team driver was tilting his spade with a plug of dirt to plug a hole in the tree farm and load another tree. Meanwhile I’m doing the same a few hundred yards away. When all of the sudden his equalizer hydraulic hose that combines the two tilt cylinders blew out.
Let me tell you folks, when 10,000lb plus decides to fall, it happens “real” quick!
He sprayed hydraulic mist in the air and it covered a hundred yards in every direction.lol
Oh and it ripped the cylinders apart (of course) but it also ripped out chunks of the steal from of the spade that were at least 1/2 “ thick. Once that much weight gets going, it can tear up some stuff!

I’m thinking even though a 2 cylinder would be slower, it may have more power over all and put less stress in the frame. If it lifts higher then all the better, makes the wood slide out better.

I’m still saving and I will get one so please keep your opinions coming both good and bad.
I can only afford one dump trailer so like everything else I want the best one I can afford.

By the way just today I went to a tree job where I hand loaded a full 16 foot trailer of rounds, drove home, did the same thing in reverse.
Then hand loaded a cord of post oak, delivered it to one of my regulars, unloaded it by hand and wheel barrowed it to his storage locker. (They have to lock up there wood, it’s a bad neighborhood)lol
So you can see how bad I need another trailer.

Last edited:
Having another thought! I am thinking one with some kind of grappling hook to load rounds and logs would be real handy. It wouldn’t need to be too heavy duty like for lifting big logs. I can cut to rounds and use the hook to load the rounds.
Something like a pickup crane, for pickup trucks.

I have a 6x12 with dual 7k axles. It is a twin cylinder that is for sure slower than a scissor, but in my experiences, everything with a scissor winds up being half unloaded by hand anyway. I'm assuming you plan to use it for wood and 6x2x10'8" is a cord. I usually throw a few extra in the back to keep people happy, but its a good way to measure the amount of wood you are hauling. 6x2x12 is also 5.33 yds, another convenient measurement.

A trailer with a scissor lift you have to half unload by hand? That would be a bummer, it kind of defeats the purpose of having a dumper. My scissor lift even makes brush slide all the way out.

Maybe there is a difference in how high they lift depending on weather it’s a low profile or high.
Design may play a roll, depending on where its hinged at.
I know from driving a dump truck for a year, there is a technique to dumping a load.

Back