7 or 8 pin

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You would have less chain speed with a 7, I personally think an 056 with a 25" bar would benefit from an 8
I have a set of big dawgs on it and they really pull it into the wood when you "engage" them. Dawgs gotta stay, cuz they're cool. Thinking a 7pin would help when doing that. Couldn't hurt to have one of each lying around, right?IMG_20150624_173826173.jpg

Most saws will pull an 8-pin. But just being able to pull it doesn't make it better. Especially in a work environment, the 7-pin is so much more forgiving and easier to operate. Put a stop watch on it, and you'll again find the 7-pin is fastest when operating the saw in it's optimal RPM range. The only time I'd see an 8-pin advantageous is if strictly limbing. However, if that were the case, I'd be using a 50cc saw that in no way wants a 3/8 8-pin rim. Honestly, most guys are just infatuated with the idea that bigger is better and "my ported saw" can pull it. The proof's in the pooding though.

Most saws will pull an 8-pin. But just being able to pull it doesn't make it better. Especially in a work environment, the 7-pin is so much more forgiving and easier to operate. Put a stop watch on it, and you'll again find the 7-pin is fastest when operating the saw in it's optimal RPM range. The only time I'd see an 8-pin advantageous is if strictly limbing. However, if that were the case, I'd be using a 50cc saw that in no way wants a 3/8 8-pin rim. Honestly, most guys are just infatuated with the idea that bigger is better and "my ported saw" can pull it. The proof's in the pooding though.
I'll agree with you on most of this, in a work environment it's a 7 for me.
But, on the other hand if I'm just bucking firewood from 8" to 24" my 066 is faster with a 9 than it is with a 7
For sure

I like my saw to b as fast as it can b all the time, that's why I tune them everytime I use one and it's why I never use anything smaller than 90cc. Get use to a big saw and a smaller one seems insufficient and slow. Short bars and big saws with big sprockets for me please.

l wish you could easily buy 5 & 6 pin sprockets not just 7,8,9,10,11ect. l wish you could get a 7pin .325 sprocket in large/standard spline. My wants l realise are physicaly impossible in some instances. FWIW OEM's usually factory fit the most suitible sprocket.....they know what works with their products!

I think a lot comes down to the wood you're cutting, In the softwoods I'd say an 8 pin for anything under 24 inch and a decent 4+ cube saw. MOST of my husky 65's came from the factory with an 3/8th 8 pin sprocket.. I think that's optimistic in stock form and the 7 pin would definitely be better. (Granted they were only 18-20" bars)

I wish I had a rim drive clutch on my Manhattan project, I think a 7 pin (it's an 8 as well) would be really nice... At the point I'm at with the saw it's a little slower than a ported 394 (8 pin) in 32" live douglas fir, Perhaps a 7 pin would give it the extra oomph it needs

While chain speed is probably the biggest factor for cutting speed in small wood (Piltz isn't always wrong), in larger wood there's a whole lot more that comes into play, skip or full comp chain, raker height, wood hardness, etc

Then there's oiling, If your saw is marginally oiling, the 7 pin will help with that

One size doesn't fit all, the 7 pin is good for apes with no feeling of where the saw makes power, it'll be more forgiving for getting pinched, etc

Brad, I agree with your summary 100%. In the real world when you have a tree that is a little hung up and wants to twist I'll take the torque of a 7 pin over the speed of an 8 pin every day of the week. Of course, if I were bucking soft wood being held level by a machine and I were using a 90+ cc saw, I'm sure I'd have a different opinion.

:popcorn2:

7 tooth is king, rather lower the rakers so the chain can take a bigger bite!
At least that's what works for me on my Dolmar PS-7900 in oak and anything softer.

:drinkingcoffee:
Since a lot of my saws a stuck with an 8 pin (spur drive clutch drums), I lower the rakers and just don't need to lean into it.. the bars stay nice and cool when you don't have to dog the powerhead in and reef on it to make it cut

Just last week my FMC 372 had a violent chain throw. Upon further inspection the 8T sprocket exploded full bore.
There was so much force that the chain bent the inside dog.

Latest posts

Back