70cc saw opinions based on these factors...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Real Old Ben , Remington or Mac & Pioneer old . BF is a old school saw collector . 28" - 36" bar usage is his realm . I run 36 " on my P-51 & as oiling goes thats pretty well it with winter grade oil .
I could care less about those old junk boat anchors. Can fathom why anyone would still run them.

Stihl Mtronic came into being via a technology sharing agreement with Husqvarna. Both systems initially were unreliable from what I understand. Both systems now are pretty reliable.
FWIW my 562 never had any of the updates other than it had the second type of carb. They updated carbs multiple times in the first few years.

I would also say that the 400C despite its displacement is a 60cc class saw as its identical to the 362 externaly. If they could fit a 80cc cylinder on it I would buy one!
The 400 is a bit special in that regard, but yes it handles like a 60cc class saw. Also power like a 70cc saw. I've had the experience running it back to back with standard and m-tronic 362s, The 362 does not compare well against the 400 when it comes to power.

Hello all!

I'm thankful for the knowledge shared on forums like this by those who actually have experience with these saws!

So here's what I'm after, and then I'll say the factors influencing my decision:

What I'm after: A primary chainsaw in the 70cc range for nearly every kind of situation, but typically storm debris help. I primarily use an MS 261CM and an MS 661CM, and between the two I've typically been just fine. But now I'm seeing some situations where I'd like a "middle" of the road saw that will now get about 70%+ of my cutting time.

Factors:
Desire- I really want a 572xp, but for what might be a dumb reason. I haven't owned anything from Husqvarna, and I'd like to try the brand. I've owned an MS 250, two 261cm's, a 462cm, a 661cm, and an Echo CS 590. The problem is that I've got a great Stihl dealer, and our Husqvarna dealer can get me anything but it isn't a large part of their (primarily lawnmower) business. No Echo dealers nearby.

Experience- I've owned a 462cm, and with a 24" bar I just didn't feel it had enough power for my needs, thus I sold it and got a 661. For all I know, I had "bad one," because it really did bog down low when buried in pine, and the chain would sometimes fully stop when buried in oak. I've seen plenty of Youtube videos of the 462 having more success with a 24" bar though, so I may be willing to give it another go.

Rain- So far I've done most of my work in decent weather, but I wouldn't mind a saw that can be run in the rain also if possible. I've emailed both Stihl and Husqvarna about this, and their response was basically this:
Stihl: "Please don't!"
Husqvarna: "Bring it!"
I have no idea if that is wisdom or not, just passing the info along to see if anyone has real experience using one of these saws in the rain and it being fine.

Lastly- I'm open to the 500i also, but the main thing holding me back is that many say the saw isn't great for "delicate" work, but that it operates like an on and off switch. I know that chainsaws are designed to be run WOT, but sometimes when felling, I've been watching the top of a tree in the wind and I'm making small adjustments to the back-cut while I wait for the right moment, and I don't want a saw that just flies through the hinge. Also, some have noted the fuel consumption being noticeably worse than the other two saws. And just from the looks of the back, it probably is the worst in this group for inclement weather.

Any insights from those with experience would be much appreciated!

-Andrew
I have a jonsered 2172 that is the same as my buddy’s husqvarna 372xp. Both unstoppable. I bet the 572 is a beast

I don't know what everybody's bodies big yank is with the 500 MKII being "bulky". It is lighter than the 359 and the 257 I owned, it runs better, handles better and will go toe to toe with the 359 and out produce the 257 as an all-around small-stuff firewood saw.
LF if you had any runtime on the Mark I you would know what I mean , the MarkII just fells more bulky . I have a neighbour that has one its been bullet proof . I don't have a problem with it , I also have a 5105 that's a lot bulkier than my 346 xp too lol.
Stihl Mtronic came into being via a technology sharing agreement with Husqvarna. As such they are very similar in function. Both systems initially were unreliable from what I understand. Both systems now are pretty reliable. People also seem to forget that many guys have problems with carbs, yet are leery of trying new tech. Mtronic/Autotune is the only way to fly Imo and I won't buy another saw without it for my use. And for the vast majority of guys that can't tune a carb to save their lives these systems are a great benefit.
FWIW my 562 never had any of the updates other than it had the second type of carb. They updated carbs multiple times in the first few years.

I would also say that the 400C despite its displacement is a 60cc class saw as its identical to the 362 externaly. If they could fit a 80cc cylinder on it I would buy one!
The 400 felt pretty well the felt like the 361 I had , only snappier in performance . I believe it was built off the same chassis . Nice saw in my opinion. !

I have a jonsered 2172 that is the same as my buddy’s husqvarna 372xp. Both unstoppable. I bet the 572 is a beast
My 576 xp was . The Jonsered line had some very impressive saws too . I always liked the top & rear handle orientation on the J-Red over my 371 xp configuration . Some people preferred the high top air filter design better on the 372 xp . I never had any issue with the standard air filter on my OE.

I could care less about those old junk boat anchors. Can fathom why anyone would still run them.
Your opinion really has no revelance , it was Brufabs preference , & numerous other Vintage saw collectors still today . Same reason some individuals use Black powder Rifles to hunt still . I was just advising him that longer bars on older saws can pose liabilities within oiling adequately !

That's because you have the huge easy starter cover, with the old original starter cover its nice, slim and compact.
Not far from my MS241cm...
Absolutely right link , some purist really take issue with it & the requirement of the additional spring . Also it has the additional starting module unit . I have got use to it . It outcuts my 346 xp with 3/8" on 20" bar & is silky smooth in the cut !

Has this been figured out? I live is the 70cc class saw. There is a number of fantastic saws in this class. My recommendation would be to handle some of them and see how they feel to you. There is no wrong choice just a preference for you. Although I have never ran a 572. I have run 372s 575s 576s 044/440s 046/460/461/462 and many other sizes and it all came down to me. I love the feel of some, the weights of others. You can't go wrong with any of them. I love chainsaws I have a few and they all have their area. If you are doing storm clean up. I would recommend going with the one you can throw around all day with out being T-Rex'ed at the end of the day. Since you can and will be cutting everything. Get a good sharp, resilient chain since most things will be wet and dirty and clean your saw up when your done and whatever 70 cc class you use will give you tons of enjoyment and soreness and run for years. I hope this is helpful. But, if you want a recommendation I would go with a stihl 440 it is a hard saw to beat.

The 359 was never a real hot saw.
Last week I was using a 400C with a 28" in Idaho Douglas fir. It cut very well.
Our wood in MT and Idaho is super soft. No comparison to eastern hardwoods. With that said a 60cc saw is a good firewood saw back east because it handles everything to 20" pretty easily. Hardwood bigger than that is a pain to deal with for firewood and you don't don't unless your not very smart.
For an eastern hardwood falling saw it really starts at 70cc and hopefully ported with a 20" bar. Something like a 90cc saw is much better if your cutting anything over 28" DBH. That's just my opinion from logging back east.
Anything much over 20-24" the 90cc saws come out. From the work I was doing last weekend, my 400 wasn't far behind my buddies 572xp in the wood we were cutting, and hardly any of it was soft wood. He had a 20" on the 572xp and I still had the 24" on the 400. We both ran each saw a lot throughout the weekend can say from a fatigue standpoint we both agreed the 400 was superior. Don't think I'd convince him to buy one as a primary, but he was grabbing it every time I put it down.
Never was impressed with the 562 xp or the 2nd generation 550 either . Too much overheating issues & Auto tune failure issues . They may have that all figured out by now . My last Husky was my carburated 576 xp . The 400 is more of a 70 c.c. Class model . The magnesium piston is a novel idea . A buddy has one , I was impressed more with its performance than Husquarna's Rev - Boost feature . I found the Stihl had better overall handling or balance in my opinion also !
They had all those issues figured out after a few years. I think by 2015 they were pretty much trouble free.
I think they pretty well solved the overheating issues within the next gen production run , a new top cover with vents & interior heat abatement foam to protect fuel line & ignition modules from conductive or convection heat soaking . Same with the 550 , they solved the intake / air filter poor fit issues , however made the saw bulkier . The Auto tune issues are still prevalent however just spotty now . I much prefer Stihl's M'tronic system !
Different fuel lines, stopped venting the tank in the air filter housing, different carb and ignition module.
The 400 is a bit special in that regard, but yes it handles like a 60cc class saw. Also power like a 70cc saw. I've had the experience running it back to back with standard and m-tronic 362s, The 362 does not compare well against the 400 when it comes to power.
Agreed.

Your opinion really has no revelance , it was Brufabs preference , & numerous other Vintage saw collectors still today . Same reason some individuals use Black powder Rifles to hunt still . I was just advising him that longer bars on older saws can pose liabilities within oiling adequately !
Some seem new and shiny is better. I think it is funny that a well worn Stihl 044 or Husky 272 will sell today for close to if not at what they sold for new. I guess that old stuff is not worth anything. I will assure anyone my Homelite 3100G saws are worth more than they were new.

Some seem new and shiny is better. I think it is funny that a well worn Stihl 044 or Husky 272 will sell today for close to if not at what they sold for new. I guess that old stuff is not worth anything. I will assure anyone my Homelite 3100G saws are worth more than they were new.
Why wouldn't they sell for over what they cost 20 years ago? Inflation by itself made the dollar less valuable. They were good saws and have quite the following, but tour not going to see a production feller/logger dragging one around the woods just to be nostalgic. Doesn't mean they are bad saws, and certainly doesn't mean they are worth more now then when they were new.

No, its not close at all between the 400 and the 362. The 362 is kind of a turd. Stihl doesn't have a good history of building hot 60cc saws. The 361 was a good effort but they stuffed the muffler up so bad they were turds stock. The 360 was also a turd.
The 400C is really a special saw. I am very happy with mine.
20221029_133034.jpg

This thread wasn't started about old junk from 50 years ago. And it wasn't started by Brufab.
People use use blackpowder mostly as a scam for preferential and or longer seasons. That's a good reason to use a BP rifle.

Why wouldn't they sell for over what they cost 20 years ago? Inflation by itself made the dollar less valuable. They were good saws and have quite the following, but tour not going to see a production feller/logger dragging one around the woods just to be nostalgic. Doesn't mean they are bad saws, and certainly doesn't mean they are worth more now then when they were new.
I believe I paid 600 for the first 440 I bought sometime around the year 1999.

I guess I should have included this quote
But I thought folks we draw the reference. It has nothing to do with being nostalgic but to each their own. That is why the world great. We all get to choose. Yes there a ton of guys still using 044's here

New is better, but there is nothing wrong with a 044 or a 272. Parts are still available and they are pretty decent modern saws. IE they are not junk from 50 years ago that you can no longer buy parts for and the companies that made them are no longer in business.

LF if you had any runtime on the Mark I you would know what I mean , the MarkII just fells more bulky . I have a neighbour that has one its been bullet proof . I don't have a problem with it , I also have a 5105 that's a lot bulkier than my 346 xp too lol.

The 400 felt pretty well the felt like the 361 I had , only snappier in performance . I believe it was built off the same chassis . Nice saw in my opinion. !
I owned a Mark I.

How the hell is blackpowder a scam?
Because most guys do it for the reasons I listed. Many of the blackpowder guns are so far removed from what a blackpowder gun should be it's laughable. My last BP rifle used smokeless powder. Not BP substitute, but actual smokeless powder. Combine that with a scope and in places like MI there is zero disadvantage to using a "BP" rifle over a modern bolt action centerline rifle.

Back