8 Pin Sprocket for 16" Bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pbuehning

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
8 Pin Sprocket for 16" Bar questions

Well I finally got my rim and sprocket conversion and now have an 8 pin sprocket on my MS290 with the 16" bar. The saw probably has approx 20 tanks thru it now. I'm not comfortable tuning by ear, so I guess I should take it in to the dealer and have him check the Hi setting (max rpm). Any other words of advise regarding the tuneup or running the 8 pin sprocket. I also got some 7 pins for running the 20" bar. Even though I'm running the .325 RM (it's sharp) I have noticed that I can bog the 20" if I push it too much. The 16" is pretty amazing and I'm looking forward to cutting with it this weekend with the 8 pin sprocket.:blob2:

Last edited:
If you are not comfortable tuning your saw by ear, by all means take it to your dealer. Tuning by ear is sort of an art form. I tune my saws w/a tachometer, by ear, and by sawing wood. If you want to cut a little faster yet, try a .325 RS (Rapid Super) chisel saw chain.

-Nick

Back