80cc's+, reliable, used - Your thoughts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Life starts at 5 cubes"... You read it almost every day. It's starting to sink in and I MIGHT just be ready to "start life".

I say "MIGHT" because I have a few small diameter 8' red oak logs in the yard and a Timberjig (the absolute most basic chainsaw mill) on the way. If it turns out that I enjoy milling the very small stuff with the 562xp, I'm going to upgrade the mill and the saw. This would allow me to make use of all the large pines on my property and in the general area.

So let's brain storm, put forth our 5-6 cube suggestions and possibly find a project for this CAD struken AS member. I'd prefer something with anti-vibe & decent parts availability. I'm capable and more than willing to take on just about any project. Who knows, this (again) might convince me to sell the 562xp! But not likely :cool2:

:popcorn:
Here is what I think..

Good choice of saw, I run a Dolmar 9010 on mine but am working on a 088 for a 4' carriage mill and I can tell you that 90cc+ is the way to go. Keep milling, it will pay for itself.

I picked up a Jonsered 830 but sold it when I found it was ONLY 4.9cubes :laugh: Just kidding.. A newer, larger saw popped up so I sold it and another.

Here's what I ended up with and have used all week... Husqvarna 394xp.

It's been fun pulling 72JGX and RS (full comp) on my 28"er. I would consider it a smooth operating saw. The oiler lays it on with this relatively short bar. I now need a 32, 36 & 42 bar, dual dogs and a full wrap :hmm3grin2orange:

Nice saw! :rock: I've been hunting one ...

When they saw I was looking at your pix, my 576AT and 346XP got all excited and the Macs started growling ....

Good choice of saw, I run a Dolmar 9010 on mine but am working on a 088 for a 4' carriage mill and I can tell you that 90cc+ is the way to go. Keep milling, it will pay for itself.

I agree with Jim nice saw choice. I have a 395 and love it..

Thank you Gents...

Jim, are you going to leave the 088 stock?

Thank you Gents...

Jim, are you going to leave the 088 stock?

I will for now, I need to make sure it runs perfect when I'm done but after that I might do some work in the transfers to get a little more mix to the top side but I most likely wont get into intake and exhaust ports very much unless it's a very mild port job. I'm not looking for a speed demon for milling but a torque monster.

Have you ever tried that 2095 on the mill? As I understand that is what that saw was originally designed for?

Yep, it is a beast, but in all honesty, I prefer the 441 in pine under 24". It is just as fast, has an m-tronic carb, easier to find parts AND gets way better mileage on a tank of fuel.

Husky 395. Outboard clutch=better chip dispersal.
Run whatever you're gonna get a little rich for milling.

Got the one I wanted! 394.. It crosscuts alright. Hopefully soon I can mill a few logs and see what she's made of

[video=youtube_share;DrMAHuEXANs]http://youtu.be/DrMAHuEXANs[/video]

Sweet saw and a good choice.
I had a 394 that i sold to a fellow member
in Irland. Wish i still had it. But it was a
bit new for my collection.
It was a very impressive saw. I'd take a 394
over a 395 in stock form any day.

Lee

I only see one problem...The title says its stock. What's that about? :buttkick:

Congratulations, looks like you are having fun. :msp_razz:

Back