880 or 3120 or what else.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaseyForrest

I am NOT a tree freak.
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Ill be in the market for a larger saw in a few months. I would like to hear from those who have run both the 088/880 and the 3120. This will be a mill saw only.

Also...what else is out there, new, in large displacement saws. I will be buying it new, so please no 070,075,076,088,090, etc....

Well, I think those are your only options...new saws anyways! The 9010 from Dolmar is only 90ish cc's - on par with an 066/660.

CaseyForrest said:
Ill be in the market for a larger saw in a few months. I would like to hear from those who have run both the 088/880 and the 3120. This will be a mill saw only.

Also...what else is out there, new, in large displacement saws. I will be buying it new, so please no 070,075,076,088,090, etc....

Talk to Ultra, he has both of those saws, the 084 and the 3120...

Tom, I figured he would be along shortly. I cant believe no other manufacturer makes a saw to compete with the 880 and 3120.

Id like to stick with Stihl. If I do, however, Ill be needing an entire new bar pattern, so going with another manufacturer doesnt really matter!!

CaseyForrest said:
Tom, I figured he would be along shortly. I cant believe no other manufacturer makes a saw to compete with the 880 and 3120.

Id like to stick with Stihl. If I do, however, Ill be needing an entire new bar pattern, so going with another manufacturer doesnt really matter!!

Well they are both huge saws and true they seem to have the big saw market locked up tight. I've had my hands on a few 3120's and its a horse. The big Stihl is a horse as well. No doult either one would suit what your planning to do. I'd say considering what your doing its a toss up and if buying it new stick with a dealer you trust. Make note with Lakeside about setting up those saws correctly. He really knows his business about milling.....

Tom I like your impartial post despite being in cahoots with stihl. I would think the 120cc class would have a small fallowing in comparison to the smaller saw, would you have any infomation on what percentage of sale the monsters are?

Buck

Stock 3120's suck.

I'd rather have a 395 if the 3120 had to stay stock.

Fred

buck futter said:
Tom I like your impartial post despite being in cahoots with stihl. I would think the 120cc class would have a small fallowing in comparison to the smaller saw, would you have any infomation on what percentage of sale the monsters are?

Buck

Lets put it this way, if all the saw makers had to survive off sales of big saws like the 880 and 3120 they'd all be out of business. One of the main guys at Mid-Atlantic Stihl told me they actually send out quite a few 880's. However he was speaking on terms of how many people really need or want a saw that big. Needless to say very few dealers bother to stock a saw that big because to sell it they really have to find a customer who would need it and they are far and few. I'd go out on a limb and say less than a few hundred of those big saws are sold yearly. I may well be incorrect, I'm just guessing thinking of how many people need such a monster. I'll check into that and see if I can get you a more precise number, I'm kinda curious myself now that its been brought up. I'll make a call tomorrow and see what I can find out......

THALL10326 said:
Well they are both huge saws and true they seem to have the big saw market locked up tight. I've had my hands on a few 3120's and its a horse. The big Stihl is a horse as well. No doult either one would suit what your planning to do. I'd say considering what your doing its a toss up and if buying it new stick with a dealer you trust. Make note with Lakeside about setting up those saws correctly. He really knows his business about milling.....

Since my dealer is dropping Husky, Im not sure where there is another one nearby. Not even sure if I could get my hands on one to see how it feels. If its anything like the rest of the Husky line, I probably wont like it. But I would rather put my hands on one to make sure. They are quite a bit cheaper then the 880.

CaseyForrest said:
Since my dealer is dropping Husky, Im not sure where there is another one nearby. Not even sure if I could get my hands on one to see how it feels. If its anything like the rest of the Husky line, I probably wont like it. But I would rather put my hands on one to make sure. They are quite a bit cheaper then the 880.

You know now that you bring up these big saws I have sold just one the whole time I've been selling saws. Funny part is how I sold this big 088. Stihl. I had it chained up to the ceiling over the saw display. It had a 59 inch bar and when you walked in the showroom that saw sorta reached out at ya since it looked huge. We used it merely to attract people to the rack. One day after hanging there for well over a year a guy walked in said I gotta have that big saw. I knew the ole boy and I asked him what in world was he going to do it with it. Get this. He said I want to have the biggest saw in the county, thats the only reason he wanted it. Needless to say I sold it to him. He later put on a 30 inch bar and has used it for years in big tree removal. He came by last week and that 088 was sitting in the back of his truck. He had just used it to take down a big tree in town. That saw is about 7 years old and its never been touched for any kind of repair. He claims he used it alot over the years so I guess its a pretty good saw. Its the only big Stihl I've ever sold or have ordered. It sure did drive people to the rack though. I'd order another one for display again if it didn't take so long to sell one, grrrrrr.

THALL10326 said:
You know now that you bring up these big saws I have sold just one the whole time I've been selling saws. Funny part is how I sold this big 088. Stihl. I had it chained up to the ceiling over the saw display. It had a 59 inch bar and when you walked in the showroom that saw sorta reached out at ya since it looked huge. We used it merely to attract people to the rack. One day after hanging there for well over a year a guy walked in said I gotta have that big saw. I knew the ole boy and I asked him what in world was he going to do it with it. Get this. He said I want to have the biggest saw in the county, thats the only reason he wanted it. Needless to say I sold it to him. He later put on a 30 inch bar and has used it for years in big tree removal. He came by last week and that 088 was sitting in the back of his truck. He had just used it to take down a big tree in town. That saw is about 7 years old and its never been touched for any kind of repair. He claims he used it alot over the years so I guess its a pretty good saw. Its the only big Stihl I've ever sold or have ordered. It sure did drive people to the rack though. I'd order another one for display again if it didn't take so long to sell one, grrrrrr.

Truth be told, the real reason I want one is because Carvinmark has his 084, and Computeruser has his FREE 075. So it only makes sense for me to have a NEW 880 or 3120!!!

CaseyForrest said:
Truth be told, the real reason I want one is because Carvinmark has his 084, and Computeruser has his FREE 075. So it only makes sense for me to have a NEW 880 or 3120!!!

LOLOL, I sorta figured something or someone gave you the itch for a big saw. I admit I'm guilty as well. Lakeside has one and it urks me that I don't. So don't feel bad Cassey for I'd like to have one as well. One of these days if I can pull off a few good week end tree jobs I may order me one just for the hell of it. I don't mind spending my play money on saws.

Let me give you a push Cassey. You get a new 880 I'll be ticked and I'll have to match it. Don't make me do it, (I DARE YOU),lolololol

Four Paws said:
Well, I think those are your only options...new saws anyways! The 9010 from Dolmar is only 90ish cc's - on par with an 066/660.

Ha.. but it's NOT an 3120 or an 880...

Ultra's the only guy I know that owns both... but one is a mere 084 :hmm3grin2orange:

I've run the 088/880... hard to find wood big enough to justify it unless millling.

THALL10326 said:
LOLOL, I sorta figured something or someone gave you the itch for a big saw. I admit I'm guilty as well. Lakeside has one and it urks me that I don't. So don't feel bad Cassey for I'd like to have one as well. One of these days if I can pull off a few good week end tree jobs I may order me one just for the hell of it. I don't mind spending my play money on saws.

Let me give you a push Cassey. You get a new 880 I'll be ticked and I'll have to match it. Don't make me do it, (I DARE YOU),lolololol

LOL...you wont have to push real hard. I figure with the new arrival in the family last April, the extra $1000 at tax time I can put to good use!!

Lakeside53 said:
Ha.. but it's NOT an 3120 or an 880...

Ultra's the only guy I know that owns both... but one is a mere 084 :hmm3grin2orange:

I've run the 088/880... hard to find wood big enough to justify it unless millling.

Thats all I want to do with it, that and be the only one around that has one!!

buck futter said:

Buck

Stihl told me that their largests sales area is Washington DC!!!! seems like diplomatic immunity allows for a lot of "hand carry"... Hmmm....

Latest posts

Back