880 or 3120 or what else.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
THALL10326 said:
So true. Fact is if you force me to buy one there is one thing for certain. It will have the easiet life a big saw could ever wish for. I won't be picking it up very often other than to say yup thats mine,lol

Not mine!! Chained to a hard life on the mill!!!

THALL10326 said:
So true. Fact is if you force me to buy one there is one thing for certain. It will have the easiet life a big saw could ever wish for. I won't be picking it up very often other than to say yup thats mine,lol

Mine seem to have that easy life too..I will grab a 660 before a big ox any day.. :hmm3grin2orange:

Casey, I was in your same position this spring. I upgraded from my 066 to the 3120 on the mill. One of the big reasons is that I could use the 42" bar I had already for the 066 by buying an adapter from Cannon for $12 or $15 and a little creative grinding with a 4" angle grinder. I've modded both my milling bars to use with the 3120.

Never used an 088, so can't give you a comparison, but the 3120 outguns the 066 by a pretty fair margin. Where the 066 would stall, the 3120 bogs a bit but keeps on pulling. Much less trouble. The 088 would do similarly. The downside of the 3120 is the external clutch which is a real drag with big bars. Takes me twice as long as putting the bar on the 066.

Also, 3/8 chain is fine. I'm running 3/8 on the 3120 as I did on the 066. No issues, and don't expect any.

Power rules.

Mark

04ultra said:
Mine seem to have that easy life too..I will grab a 660 before a big ox any day.. :hmm3grin2orange:

Yeah, Chopwood was giving me crap a while back about only using the 3120 on the mill and not to cut with. Sorry, this old busted up guy will save the 8 lb plus differential between that and the 066. For the mill is fine, for freehand, the 066 is as much as I want, and the power difference for most of my crosscuts is minimal.

I am working on convincing myself to do the HD special...and possibly the 7900 upgrade...power, its all about the power.

Mark

In the small town where I live there is a logging museum, its a cool place. Amazingly there is an absolutley mint 090 Stihl in a glass case, donated to them. Mint, stickers on it still, looks out of place around the real old geardrive monsters. I'll bet that saw would kick ass, looks pretty mean.

Mr. said:
Stock 3120's suck.

I'd rather have a 395 if the 3120 had to stay stock.

Fred

Why do stock 3120's suck?

I'm also considering either the 088 or a 3120. I have and use both an 066 and 395, and I know it makes me a oddity here in this forum, but I would rather cut with my 395 inspite of the weight over my 066 because of the smoothness. That's for general cutting. For milling it doesn't matter as much to me and I use both equally. Though Madsens told me that the 395 airbox sometimes gets a bit plugged up milling, if I understood them correctly. Haven't had that problem yet.

I saw a post that the bars were more trouble to change on the 3120, but that is all the specifics I saw. Changing a bar/chain on my 395 is maybe a bit more trouble than my 066 but not much trouble and I would have thought the 3120 was set up similar to the 395.

B_Turner said:

I'm also considering either the 088 or a 3120. I have and use both an 066 and 395, and I know it makes me a oddity here in this forum, but I would rather cut with my 395 inspite of the weight over my 066 because of the smoothness. That's for general cutting. For milling it doesn't matter as much to me and I use both equally. Though Madsens told me that the 395 airbox sometimes gets a bit plugged up milling, if I understood them correctly. Haven't had that problem yet.

I saw a post that the bars were more trouble to change on the 3120, but that is all the specifics I saw. Changing a bar/chain on my 395 is maybe a bit more trouble than my 066 but not much trouble and I would have thought the 3120 was set up similar to the 395.

Big bars suck, but they just suck more with the outboard clutch, IMHO. It really isn't that big of a deal. I wouldn't get too wound up about it. Buy the one you get the better deal on. Most of the 088s I found were pretty trashed, but got a good deal on a low hour 3120 owned by an AS member that was in VERY nice shape. Being able to mod the milling bars I used on my 066 was a bonus, and actually tipped me on the deal for the 3120.

Mark

B_Turner said:

Let me count the ways..............

Run both the 880 and the 3120.... then you tell me.

3120 should have alot more grunt, but it is rev limited way down...around 9k so the cheesy connecting rod won't break.

Fred

Mr. said:

3120 should have alot more grunt, but it is rev limited way down...around 9k so the cheesy connecting rod won't break.

Fred

Fred was that a jab at us in Wi.:sword:

Mr. said:

Fred

But the Husky specs say max 12000 rpm on the 3120. Not true?

I can't say anything about 3120's having never run one, but I DO have a little experience with the big Stihls. I've used an 090 to do all my cutting for a few years now. This spring, I bought an 880, and had an 084 given to me that needed a cyl. kit. The 880's great, and the 084's no slouch either, but when I'm burying 48+ inches of bar they can't touch the 090.

artie

Just a word of caution about the 3120. I don't have one (I do have an 084). Local tree guy (prefers husky for MOST of his saws) has had trouble with them. His small saws are 020/ms200's, huskys all the way up after that EXCEPT for his big saw. He went through 3 3120's in no time. Still has one leaning against the wall in case he gets stuck, but the 880 gets the nod when he needs a big saw. Couldn't keep the 3120's together, lots of breakage. Tells me one of the three that he bought was able to run a total of three weeks out of the two two years he owned it. YMMV..........

He runs quality oils at 25/1 ..........

Really like my 084 with 3/8 chain on a 30" bar, GREAT firewood saw!! (BIG blocks) DO have a STIHL hardnose bar for it that takes 138 dl with .404 chain, looks to be about 4 feet long. Haven't needed it yet, but there's this oak in the nieghbour's bush........:D

Casey, if you are in no hurry & want some hands on with an 084 I'm only about 30 mins away.
No big stuff on the ground now.......But, I have a 50"+ dbh Oak that will be hitting the ground in the near future. :D
I will be cleaning the moss of the 60" bar for that one.

Ed

Ed*L said:
Casey, if you are in no hurry & want some hands on with an 084 I'm only about 30 mins away.
No big stuff on the ground now.......But, I have a 50"+ dbh Oak that will be hitting the ground in the near future. :D
I will be cleaning the moss of the 60" bar for that one.

Ed

Looking forward to some pictures of that Oak being taken down and cut up!

Your not far away either........come on out.
The tree is on my property, it will be a weekend project, well maybe 2 or 3 weekends to get the monster cleaned up. :laugh:

Ed

Mr. said:

Fred
Depends on what year you have Fred. Have Oldsaw put a tach to his :jawdrop:

Back