880 or 3120 or what else.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
artie__bc said:
I can't say anything about 3120's having never run one, but I DO have a little experience with the big Stihls. I've used an 090 to do all my cutting for a few years now. This spring, I bought an 880, and had an 084 given to me that needed a cyl. kit. The 880's great, and the 084's no slouch either, but when I'm burying 48+ inches of bar they can't touch the 090.

artie

Shoot, now I need a 090, too. Glad my wife doesn't read this forum.

In stock form I would take the Stihl, the 3120 has the rev limiter set pretty low, just over 10K. If you put the older coil in it they are pretty much the same.

The one I sold to Mark (Oldsaw) limited at 11,900. That is a 1997 model I beleive. I have a 1996 at my house that hits at 12,200. I have never seen a rod break on one personally. But, I have a racesaw with a stock rod in it that pulls around 13 in the cut that I have never had a problem with. Been running it for eight years, it's a '93 I beleive.

Ed*L said:
Casey, if you are in no hurry & want some hands on with an 084 I'm only about 30 mins away.
No big stuff on the ground now.......But, I have a 50"+ dbh Oak that will be hitting the ground in the near future. :D
I will be cleaning the moss of the 60" bar for that one.

Ed

Absolutely!!! Just let me know when you plan on doing the work. Ill bring my saws and stick around for the day to help you get it cleaned up.

Last edited:
Just had to throw in a pic. of the 3120 and the 72". Gets a little heavy. :greenchainsaw:

IMG_7021.jpg

How about a band saw mill???:angel: :help: :help: :help: :blob2: :blob2:

...not as sexy, but should work well - probably narrower kerf also......

As you can see from the photo. I have already cut down all of the trees in sight! ;)

CaseyForrest said:
I know..and you are right.

So am I, what's your point. 3120 is a NICE saw...still like the 066 better, but I'm much more used to it. That is changing slowly though, the gap is closing, although it will never go away.

Mark

I really like my 084 for milling, lots of grunt and a nice top end charge! 088 is that much better.

oldsaw said:
So am I, what's your point. 3120 is a NICE saw...still like the 066 better, but I'm much more used to it. That is changing slowly though, the gap is closing, although it will never go away.

Mark

And when it comes down to the money, I may go with Husky. Right now I got a quote for an 880 with 41" bar for what Baileys is selling a 3120 powerhead only for.

CaseyForrest said:
Absolutely!!! Just let me know when you plan on doing the work. Ill bring my saws and stick around for the day to help you get it cleaned up.

I will keep you updated on when it's going to happen.

Ed

Ed*L said:
Your not far away either........come on out.
The tree is on my property, it will be a weekend project, well maybe 2 or 3 weekends to get the monster cleaned up. :laugh:

Ed

Sounds good. Keep me informed, too. If I'm available on the weekend(s) that you're cutting I will definitely come and lend a hand!

Back