880 vs 3120 stock (YAEVTT)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think that could be considered denial, unless denial is just a nice word for BS.
At 12k I know you'd love that saw. If you can run it cutting out on the limiter all the time, well you'r more patient than me.

Andy

It is not just that it is running so slow (with so much more to offer), but the whole time the motor is missing because of the limiter. Double whammy. It is clear the engineers dont' run saws for a living.

Last edited:
It is not just that it is running so slow (with so much more to offer), but the whole time the motor is missing because of the limiter. Double whammy. It is clear the engineers dont' run saws for a living.

Yeah, it burns me when a saw bumps the limiter when I'm not in the wood. I couldn't take it all the time.

Andy

My 3120 just does not do what you are describing B turner. I don't think I could handle that as well. I wish you could come down and we could run these two side by side.

Yeah, it burns me when a saw bumps the limiter when I'm not in the wood. I couldn't take it all the time.

Andy

With the new saw I am on the limiter even in the wood. Even cutting a 40 inch round, unless I push hard (which I usually dont do) the saw is limiting/missing. I did some 50 inch noodle cuts, and unless I levered hard the darn thing was still rattling under the load because of the limiter.

I can hardly believe that all the new ones are like that, but I guess with a limit of 9.6 k they are. I could probably live with a limit of maybe 11 on that saw if I had to, but to be on the limiter pretty much all the time just doesn't make any sense to me.

My 3120 just does not do what you are describing B turner. I don't think I could handle that as well. I wish you could come down and we could run these two side by side.

Yes, if it weren't so far I would really like to run them side by side. I simply can't believe they are all like mine, as who would put up with it? I like it well enough if it were a little better behaved I could live with it, but the way it is now just doesn't work for me.

Side by side with another 3120 would tell me a whole lot in a hurry.

Yes, if it weren't so far I would really like to run them side by side. I simply can't believe they are all like mine, as who would put up with it? I like it well enough if it were a little better behaved I could live with it, but the way it is now just doesn't work for me.

Side by side with another 3120 would tell me a whole lot in a hurry.

I guess the only way would be if you were milling with it all the time. I do really like how smooth the husky is compared to the stihl counterpart. You are right on the vibration levels of the stihl. They do make the teeth shake. I would see what the dealer or husky themselves can do if they have the two week policy. I was just wondering thought when you tried both the husky and the stihl you perfered the husky. Was this husky a older model? I mean the demo saw that is. It would be interesting to see the year of make on there demo saw. Is yours a 2007 maf. date. This might help explain the whole thing.

With the new saw I am on the limiter even in the wood. Even cutting a 40 inch round, unless I push hard (which I usually dont do) the saw is limiting/missing. I did some 50 inch noodle cuts, and unless I levered hard the darn thing was still rattling under the load because of the limiter.

I can hardly believe that all the new ones are like that, but I guess with a limit of 9.6 k they are. I could probably live with a limit of maybe 11 on that saw if I had to, but to be on the limiter pretty much all the time just doesn't make any sense to me.

Believe it; it is what it is. Grande says they limit at 9.6K and he'd know.

Part of your "problem" is that you are using a 3/8 SKIP chain. Load it up with full comp, maybe even 404 full comp. Then you'll spit some chips. You still can't use it like a normal saw though (big wood, smaller wood etc) if you want to stay off the limiter, and shorter bars would really suck.

Somebody else mentioned milling - that does load any saw big time, even in moderate wood, so they wouldn't be bouncing off the limiter.

Believe it; it is what it is. Grande says they limit at 9.6K and he'd know.

Part of your "problem" is that you are using a 3/8 SKIP chain. Load it up with full comp, maybe even 404 full comp. Then you'll spit some chips. You still can't use it like a normal saw though (big wood, smaller wood etc) if you want to stay off the limiter, and shorter bars would really suck.

Somebody else mentioned milling - that does load any saw big time, even in moderate wood, so they wouldn't be bouncing off the limiter.

I think it would be a very nice milling machine. And full comp would help a little probably, but damn that limiter is set low. I put an 8 tooth on this afternoon to see if that helped, and I couldn't tell much difference. Probably full comp .404 would make it run slower, but I that seems like a backwards approach.

I don't have any full comp .063 on hand, and I cringe to think what the local guys would charge me for a big loop, assuming I could find someone that stocked that in Stihl square.

I guess the only way would be if you were milling with it all the time. I do really like how smooth the husky is compared to the stihl counterpart. You are right on the vibration levels of the stihl. They do make the teeth shake. I would see what the dealer or husky themselves can do if they have the two week policy. I was just wondering thought when you tried both the husky and the stihl you perfered the husky. Was this husky a older model? I mean the demo saw that is. It would be interesting to see the year of make on there demo saw. Is yours a 2007 maf. date. This might help explain the whole thing.

In retrospect I think maybe the 3120 I tried at the dealer was the same limit. So much going on with all the saws and commotion I think I probably just did not pick up on how it was limiting all the time, or maybe mine is set a small bit lower. That demo saw was a new one too, so I bet it was close.

The vibration levels on the big Stihl is the only issue for me, as I like the saw alot otherwise. Stihl guys don't mind them, it's like how folks love Harleys even though in terms of performance they are more primitive than most other bikers. So the choice for me is probably either an older 3120, an 880 (or both). I just don't think I can live with the 3120 I have unless the dealer has another idea, which doesn't seem likely.

I think it would be a very nice milling machine. And full comp would help a little probably, but damn that limiter is set low. I put an 8 tooth on this afternoon to see if that helped, and I couldn't tell much difference. Probably full comp .404 would make it run slower, but I that seems like a backwards approach.

I don't have any full comp .063 on hand, and I cringe to think what the local guys would charge me for a big loop, assuming I could find someone that stocked that in Stihl square.

Sorry.. I only have 3/8 semichisel -for mill chain conversion... or for dirty wood, and it's 050. Good luck on 063 locally anyhow.

404 works pretty well on big saws.. big chips.. tough cutters.

Last edited:
uh oh.. back to post 1... :greenchainsaw:

yup. He won't be happy, but we will see if the dealer will go along with the Husky satisfaction policy. GD and someone else said it's 15 days and GD should know.

Actually, if he will take it back then I am not quite back to post 1. I now know for sure something I didn't quite want to believe.

Last edited:

I have a 3120, it is my second one.The first one had a 3',4',and 6', bar.The dealer i bought the 1st saw from orderd the wrong pitch bars so we down sized the sprocket to a 325 pitch.That freakin saw gave me trouble from the first time i started it and was sent to my local dealer and husky on several occasions.To make a long story short in two years of fighting the saw with only a 90 day warranty husky sent me a new 3120 at no charge.I havent ordered the 404 bars. My advice to you is , dont downsize the sprocket if you get one, its too much saw for that small chain.

Not really, someone must make the odd choises, to keep it interesting....:jawdrop:

I know many feel this way, but I stand by my decision to try a 3120. I had to know. Love the smoothness and responsiveness.

Like most here on AS, I didn't know it was limited clear down to 9.6 K. Otherwise I would have been very happy with it, fixed jet and all. I still think it would probably be a very good milling saw due to the different kind of load.

So I intend to return it if possible (never returned a saw before and am dreading it). And regardless of whether I come home with an 880 or not (which I already know is a bit of a brute), I defintely am now on the lookout for an older 3120 that is not rev limited so low.

Now on the other hand would I buy the new 3120 again knowing what I know now? Course not.

Wow...

.325 on a 3120?

Thats crazy. And I thought .375 was marginal...

I would never even consider .325 on a saw this size. Even 3/8 gets argued about both in terms of kerf width and strength.

For my testing, I was running Stihl 3/8 full skip square (.063). Part of what I was testing was if I could break it with power alone. So some of my testing was with the 50 inch bar buried and me leaning on the bar practically with all my might. I am not saying chain would never break, but I didn't break any.

Latest posts

Back