880 vs 3120 stock (YAEVTT)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why not try to hunt down the parts you need to make it an "old" 9.2hp one - Ultra showed you the way......:)

all of my info on 3120 is 10,750 after break in but that is circa 1999.
sawtroll has an idea.better yet take it to the dealer and smoke it over
if he wants to keep customers he will fix itdont give up on such a fine
saw!:smoking: :smoking:

Called the dealer just now. The say Husqvarna no longer has any return policy at all. And they say we talked about it being a fixed jet and limited, which we did of course. Didnt' know the limit was 9.6, though.

So unless they could sell it as new, they eat it. It still looks good, but if you pull the cover it is clear it has been run. A tank's worth of chips went through there for sure. I don't think they could sell it as new.

They say drive down and they'll work something out, but without Husky giving them anything on a return, it makes it harder on me as I like those guys.

I have to ponder my next step, and if I do go down I need to do it within the hour as the 1.5 hrs can turn into 3. hrs with traffic. It's Friday, although perhaps the day after Thanksgiving will have most off the streets.

Last edited:
Call Husky to check that return policy.... Maybe they deleted it after the box stores dumped a few too many back?

Last edited:
Well, from what I have read on AS and other saw sites earlier, I would have taken the 880 over a newer 3120 any day - but I have no desire for any of them......:greenchainsaw:

Call Husky to check that return policy.... Maybe they deleted it after the boxs stores dumped a few too many back?

I wouldn't know where to call. I have posted questions twice to the Husqvarna website (through the site) and never got back anything other than a generated reply that didn't even mention the question I asked.

But you would think Grande Dog (who said 15 days) should know.

I'm pretty sure I need to drive down there this morning and deal with the immediate situation, as I don't like it hanging. I may eat just a little money to help them resell it, just to assuage my 'guilt' over returning it.

I just picked up your edit. She asked why Stihl had a policy and Husky didn't, and I told her about the delearship vs big box issues. You would be having azzholes buying a husky at Lowes, cutting their tree, and bringing it back for a return.

Last edited:
Shush! he was having a nice day until you said that! ;)

No problem hearing that, as I posted before I had to try. Loved the smooth reponse, as that is very important to me. Could have lived with a limit and a fixed jet, but 9,600? No way.

Like I have said before, you have no idea how slow 9,600 is for a maximum and until you run the saw. As far as I am concerned, such a slow limited flies in the face of good, efficient technique.

As a tech type in a previous life, I sort of consider 1 K to be 1024....So I am schizoid how I use K. (9.6k vs 9,600).

Last edited:
:laugh: :laugh: I don't think the vibes on such a big saw matters much anyway, as it will not be used that much - when you disregard those, everything points at the 880......:greenchainsaw:

I know many people don't understand the fuss about vibes, but those of us with tender hands and rely on fine manual motor feedback and control for what we do, feel differently.

When I run my 066 for prolonged periods I use very good quality gelpack gloves which help, but I can run my 395 for hours non stop barehanded with absolutely no problems, for example.

So for one of my run all the time saws no way could I use certain saws, as the type of cutting I do is mostly not spent normal crosscutting. But with this big saw I could probably tolerate a lightly buzzier saw because it would be mostly use for big crosscutting. So under these conditions with the right touch and feedrate, the dogs on the log pretty take most of the "vibration." Like my 066 with a 42 inch bar, vibes are not too bad.

Last edited:
II'm pretty sure I need to drive down there this morning and deal with the immediate situation, as I don't like it hanging. I may eat just a little money to help them resell it, just to assuage my 'guilt' over returning it.

Can you take a camcorder and post the entire transaction? :popcorn:

Maybe a few of us could drive down and watch lololol

..sorry...

I know many people don't understand the fuss about vibes, but those of us with tender hands and rely on fine manual motor feedback and control for what we do, feel differently. ......
I have very sensitive hands, particularly the right one, because of Arthritis (allways use the left on the starter handle), so I really have no problem understanding you - I guess the real issue is how long periods you are going to use the saw for.

Last edited:
I have very sensitive hands, particularly the right one, because of Psoreasis Arthritis (allways use the left on the starter handle), so I really have no problem understanding you - I guess the real issue is how long periods you are going to use the saw for.

This saw? maybe 20 hours a year...??

No its not. I sent you a pm did you get it.

Just checked again, I did not receive a PM from you for a couple of days, for sure not since I read that yours turns over 12,000. inbox not full, so don't know what happenned

(Andy, close your ears) Still thinking of buyer yours depending on exact price. Sounds higher limited and low hours....

Possible I come home with an 880, but I would like to own both for a while....

Poor Andy, I'm killing him.

(Andy, okay to open your ears)

Last edited:
This saw? maybe 20 hours a year...??

He's probably right. Even with my 066 with sharp square on a 42 inch bar, all the cutting happens very fast. So 20 hrs is many many thousands lbs of round.

I had hoped to put something as short as a 36 on it to play with too, but that remains to be seen.

Go load up the saw and get going so you can trade it today, get back
and run it a little..........GO.................HURRY!

We will be waiting :cheers:

Back