880 vs 3120 stock (YAEVTT)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice setup!
It looks like you ended up with the updated CB tip, that’s good. I had to replace my old tip to a 6 rivet because it kept seizing. If you do a muffler mod you will gain a little more power and may not feel a need to seek higher rpm’s. You can always install a 395 coil to get it up over 10,000 rpms.

two_saws.JPG

The bar was stickered something like Feb of this year, and I don't know when the new tip started, but it does seem to be the new one. I was a little surprised that it plunged okay, although I would have like more revs for boring and since the belly is so wide (which is normally a very good thing in a long bar) it sure ends up making a wide hole as it goes in. They dealer said they had recently sold an 84 inch Cannon, and I think that would be a bugger to work with except maybe on a mill.

The reality is the saw is very competent and civilized, and I think I will like it fine after some time. But most of my time is spent with my 7900s that run real fast and want more, so it's an attitude adjustment with having a saw that insists on running so slow. I had expected to not have the limiter come into play once I had the bar in wood, but other than that the saw does seem to make a fairly wide powerband..

My owner manual says the ignition is limited to 12k, so I was surprised to be limited to 9k.

The only real test is when the saw is broken in and the full bar put to wood.

Last edited:
0481.JPG

After lunch I just couldn't help it, I wondered about what the 3120 would do with the full 50 inch bar buried.

So I dragged it into the woods and found a small tree down. Did some quick cuts with the whole 50 inches buried, noodling. The perspective of the shot is misleading, those slots are like 48 inches (bar minus dogs) and go completely through. Only several seconds each cut.

I was pretty impressed, actually. I never was able to bog the saw even though I was trying to. It wants to turn around 9k pretty much no matter what you do.

Now my other saws won't do that.:rock:

Last edited:
B Turner, I dont know how much difference the vibes are for a working man like you.
But I know the 084 is (CLOSE TO) 2lbs lighter then the MS880 and I know where there is several woods ported 084's in good condition for half the cost off a new 880. Just food for thought. :cheers:

I suspect the max revs will increase a bit as it runs in, as I don't think the limiter is at 9000rpm.

I do think it is on the limiter at 9K.

With the tach, several different times I would creep up the rpms and around 9000 or so the reading would go wacky (like drop to a meaningless low number) and the saw would stop reving higher. Starts at maybe half throttle, and under no circumstances could I get the tach to read higher, or by ear sound faster.

Unless it is really that rich, and is 4 stroking. But if it were just too rich, I would expect the tach to find a nice reasonable number (like 9k) and display that number. It wouldn't, the number displayed would suddenly jump to something silly like 2k while the motor was reving the same 9k ish sort of range.

I have had no reason to suspect the tach using it with my other saws. Any suggestions are welcome, of course.

Bottom line is that it basically seems on the limiter pretty much all the time, even with the big bar and only really forcing the bar can I drop the rpm at all. I would rather it was limited only when in small/med wood or not in wood at all.

Last edited:
B Turner, I dont know how much difference the vibes are for a working man like you.
But I know the 084 is (CLOSE TO) 2lbs lighter then the MS880 and I know where there is several woods ported 084's in good condition for half the cost off a new 880. Just food for thought. :cheers:

Cut4fun, I hear you. I ran an 084 briefly once at Andys and thought it was cool. (Should have bought it.) Somehow it was a grand machine, can't really tell you why.

I am starting to consider an 084 for grin purposes if nothing else.

plunge1.JPG

plunge2.JPG

Well I just went back to retrieve the saw where I left it, and shoot I couldn't resist cutting off the same small log and playing with the other end.

The first shot is the saw pulled out to show it was a plunge cut. The width of the belly of the bar shows up on the height of the kerf.

The second shot shows the 50 inch bar is buried in there somewhere.

I know, Andy, you are even more glad there were only 2 choices.:hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:
plunge1.JPG

plunge2.JPG

Well I just went back to retrieve the saw where I left it, and shoot I couldn't resist cutting off the same small log and playing with the other end.
If you keep playing with your little log, it's going to get smaller. Or, at least that's what I was always told. . .

With the tach, several different times I would creep up the rpms and around8800 or so the reading would go wacky (like drop to a meaningless low number) and the saw would stop reving higher. Starts at maybe half throttle, and under no circumstances could I get the tach to read higher, or by ear sound faster.

Unless it is really that rich, and is 4 stroking. But if it were just too rich, I would expect the tach to find a nice reasonable number (like 9k) and display that number. It wouldn't, the number displayed would suddenly jump to something silly like 2k while the motor was reving the same 9k ish sort of range.

I have had no reason to suspect the tach using it with my other saws. Any suggestions are welcome, of course.

9k is plain wrong, even for a new saw. That fact that the number becomes meaningless indicates you are bouncing off the limiter. Now, if you'd bought a stihl...;)

12k? yuk...

Take if back.. don't mess with it. sigh.... another long drive.. :)

Last edited:
I might have to break mine out this weekend... we had a windstorm last week and I thought it missed me.. Nope.. working behind the behind the barn I see (7 days later) a 170 foot hemlock down.. damn...

9k is plain wrong, even for a new saw. That fact that the number becomes meaningless indicates you are bouncing off the limiter. Now, if you'd bought a stihl...;)

12k? yuk...

Take if back.. don't mess with it. sigh.... another long drive.. :)

So you definitely think even the new ones should be limited higher than 9K? (Manual says 12k.)

Anyone that has a newer one ever tach theirs? Bookerdog? Brncreepr?

I myself am pretty convinced it is on the limiter at around 9K, and I wonder what Husky says. Grande Dog?

Last edited:
Are you going to crosscut with the 088, or mill up some beams with it? At that length must have some pretty good diameter going.

I would like to see a real saw in action.

So you definitely think even the new ones should be limited higher than 9K? (Manual says 12k.)

Anyone that has a newer one ever tach theirs? Bookerdog? Brncreepr?

I myself am pretty convinced it is on the limiter at around 9K, and I wonder what Husky says. Grande Dog?

9K+ is where it should be cutting, not limiting.

9K+ is where it should be cutting, not limiting.
I remembered seeing a reference to 9K before, and I found this posting

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=6579&highlight=9,000

I called the dealer today and told them that I thought it was limiting at 9k, and they said that this is the new way over the last few years. I am not sure they really believed me on the 9K, though.

Seems like even 9.5k would let it sit in the max power range better, which the manual says is 9k. Then again it says the ignition limit is 12k. With mine, it is very difficult to get it to get off the limiter, even burying the 50 inch bar. Doesn't make sense to me,and seems like it would be hard on it to be limiting all the time in the cut.

My sense was the one I ran at the dealer was running faster, but I could easily be wrong on that.

Last edited:
Nice pictures. I like the one with the bar burried in that small tree looks like your enjoying the new saw I am sure there are ways to make it behave more aggresive if you want. I would try a small bar and a big sprocket.

Back