9 hp and 22 gpm pump will it work?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am looking to upgrade my pump do you think a 9hp subaru motor will spin a 22 gpm two stage pump ok?

maybe, i am running a 11 hp honda with a 22 gal. pump. works great, most times i run 75% power.

Should work fine. I run 16 gpm with 6 1/2 predator & it will idle through wood .

I always think this is a loaded question. Are you looking for max capacity out of your pump ( being able to generate max pressure while also keeping flow even in the second stage). So yes it will turn the pump and he piston will move. But don't expect to be busting knotty crotches at lightning speed. With hydraulics, it's usually speed or power, both requires horsepower.

I always think this is a loaded question. Are you looking for max capacity out of your pump ( being able to generate max pressure while also keeping flow even in the second stage). So yes it will turn the pump and he piston will move. But don't expect to be busting knotty crotches at lightning speed. With hydraulics, it's usually speed or power, both requires horsepower.

Looking for more speed I have a 5 inch cylinder with a 2 inch rod are there any other improvements I can make to increase the cycle time?

Increase in cycle time will be based on gpm of pump or decrease of cylinder size. What I would do is get it all together and play with your adjustable valve. (You do have an adjustable valve). Either your cylinder will stall in the wood because it will be opening the relief valve. If you need more pressure at the cylinder, tighten the relef valve up. But if you go too far you will stall the motor. That's where more horse power comes into play

If you could post some pics we could see what your dealing with. there are a number of things you can do to increase speed. Speed = $$$ .

Increase in cycle time will be based on gpm of pump or decrease of cylinder size. What I would do is get it all together and play with your adjustable valve. (You do have an adjustable valve). Either your cylinder will stall in the wood because it will be opening the relief valve. If you need more pressure at the cylinder, tighten the relef valve up. But if you go too far you will stall the motor. That's where more horse power comes into play
Yes I have a prince control valve.

If you could post some pics we could see what your dealing with. there are a number of things you can do to increase speed. Speed = $$$ .
The valve I have has 1/2 inch work ports the cylinder has 1/2 inch ports and currently I have 1/2 inch line from pump to control valve. Suction is 1 inch return is 3/4 inch to a filter Cross with Zinga 25 micron filter.

I am in no way an expert but with half inch ports I doubt you will see what you are hoping for with the 22 gpm pump and will make a lot of heat with the restriction. If you have a 16 gpm pump now down sizing to a 4" cylinder would get you some speed and probably save you some $. Don't know what your current setup is through.

sounds like your limited with 5" cyl & 1/2 ports with 2" rod for speed. the bigger pump will just build heat faster. if you changed the system to 3/4" you would gain speed with less heat for sure. Good luck what ever you do.

Thanks for the input. It seems that most cylinders only have 1/2 inch ports or is the restriction in the control valve only having 1/2 inch work ports?

Restrictions can be system wide, I have found the greatest to be the fittings used. The bulk of these items used seem to be about 3/8" internal for a 1/2" rated item. There are Hi-flow fittings makes quite a bit of difference friction( heat build up) wise although you see little speed improvement. Case in point my splitter would run so hot that after about 1/2hour of use you could not touch the cylinder with out getting a the very least a first degree burn. Several years back I rebuilt the unit because of that and other issues that developed over the span of 10 years. Same pump( 11gpm), motor , cylinder( 1/2" ports ) I, used a 3/4" working ports valve lines are still 1/2"( 4000 psi rated) all fittings are HI flow . Speed not a noticeable difference ( wasn't going after that ) but heat build up now stays within the recommended operating range for hydro equipment. Run all day summer or winter never gets to the burn point like it was. If and when the pump goes I will up grade it to the next level up ( 8hp might be able to run a 16 gpm pump at max) would only shave a second or maybe 2 off cycle time. Would gain more by using the Prince auto cycle valve ( was about $350) not that it changes the speed but operates differently than a plain log splitter valve. I'm almost always working by myself so lighting fast times I do not need.

I don't really need a faster splitter mine only has a 14 second cycle time and a lot of the time I struggle to keep up with it. That said it seems like I always end up with the crookedest knotty wood possible so even after a full stroke I have to beat it or cut it the rest of the way apart...

Once in a blue moon I get something stuck, but I am running Horz. wedge on beam, when it was a horz/vert unit w/wedge on ram it was a common occurance. the stripper did not last very long- one of the other issues I alluded too.

Back