90cc blast from the past

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I got the Tillotson HL fixed on the Poulan 71-A, thanks to Kyle from Edge and Engine. The inlet spring he sent me showed up yesterday and I worked on it late last night.

I couldn't get it to start last night, only got it to pop a few times. I was tired, gave up on it and went to bed, wondering what I done wrong to it.

I got to it again this afternoon and it fired right up! Messed with the carb settings some, made up some new gaskets for the side covers over the carb, the air filter cover, sharpend the Stihl semi chisel chain and took it out to the wood pile.

What a hoss! And man what a sound, ear protection is a good idea with this. The carb burbbles rich untill it hits the log then it cleans out and pulls like a Mack truck. :cheers:

I need to find a big piece of wood to stick it in, but I'm sure it will pull the full 30" bar without slowing down much.

The carb settings are kinda touchy and the governor makes it hard to set the high speed screw. Anytime you start to lean it out it just falls off once you get to that "point". I set it at the factory 1 turn out and it seems pretty close.

Anyhow this looks to be a very low use saw and now runs good. The auto oiler is nice on a saw of this vintage and it seems to work well. The only thing I don't like is there is no throttle lock on it for starting. I'll live with that though.

I think I'll keep this one around, just for fun sometimes.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Between you and Leeha you have the "It's a beast" side of things covered this week ! How about using a bit of velcro to lock up the throttle ?
Great looking beast.

Nice to see you got it running, nothing quite like old magnesium rumbling through a big log. They sure are loud, hard to run them if you have neighbors. My neighbors used to complain about the noise, now I can`t hear them.LOL.
Pioneerguy600

Thats funny Jerry! I think this saw is all sand cast aluminum, but I don't know if theres any magnesium in it or not.

I think I'm going to try to keep what hearing I have left and use the ear plugs when I run this one.

When the neighbors yell about it, I'll just pretend I don't hear them. (like I do my wife)

The saw looks good! I have one too with a bow and really enjoy cutting firewood with it. You are right about the carb, it is best to adjust those saws in the cut. I have a decent parts inventory stored away for my saw as well. I think I have about 20 new cylinders for it and the super 72. I still have not heard about the part number for the seals on the 245, but I will talk to the bearing distributor Wednesday. If you think that saw has some power you need to find a Poulan 91. That is a hoss.

Good God man, where the hell is the muffler! I have a old hommie SXL with the stack muffler, and it is all I can stand to run it without ear plugs in. That saw must be stupid loud!

That is one fine looking piece of vintage muscle ya got there!

The saw looks good! I have one too with a bow and really enjoy cutting firewood with it. You are right about the carb, it is best to adjust those saws in the cut. I have a decent parts inventory stored away for my saw as well. I think I have about 20 new cylinders for it and the super 72. I still have not heard about the part number for the seals on the 245, but I will talk to the bearing distributor Wednesday. If you think that saw has some power you need to find a Poulan 91. That is a hoss.

Thomas, what I think I would like to find for this is a shorter bar (maybe 20")to switch off to for messing around with. I know that this uses a pretty different bar mount and don't know yet what else would fit it. Maybe I don't need a shorter one just thinking.

Do you know what the proper spark plug is for this 71-A? I put a cj8 in it for now.

I'm stocked on the seals myself, just thought we could help some other members out with a generic number for them.

Never seen the Poulan 91, but would love to see one. What I would like to find next would be a 744 gear drive like yours. I'm not really into gear drives but I am into 245s so I think one of them would be very cool.

Great looking saw Mark.
Glad you got the carb all set.
I like the old school muffler,
If thats what you want to call it.

Lee

Lee, I have not run the Mono for awhile, but I'm pretty sure this Poulan can equal it in the noise department and thats saying alot! Its got a different sound, but still probably about as loud.

THAT is sweet looking! Just love the old fashioned sound of that vintage. If that's original paint it is in amazing shape.

John H.

That plug should be fine. If you ever take the cylinder off the saw you can see a lot of improvement that can be made to the top end. The piston has only one pin in it that holds the rings in place so the gaps on both rings are in-line with each other. The squish on those cylinders is around 100 thousandths. That saw could really make some more power if you can fix the piston and cylinder squish.

Great looking saw Mark! Glad ya got it running good. I know nothing about them old saws, but I would tend to agree that it would be a good one for special ocasions for fun! (like a GTG) LOL hint,hint

I dout it would be one that I would grab every day to go cut wood, but sure looks like fun.:clap:

:cheers:
Gregg,

Looks good Mark. Should make ya a good can smasher. The miller high life looked like it was about to say uncle.

Mark, Was there a Poulan in the 100cc class
that had the same style as this one.
It seems all the different models i have seen
are smaller than 90cc's that look similar to yours.

Lee

That looks like it should be fairly lightweight for a 90cc saw, do you know how much it weighs?

Mr. HE:cool:

Beautiful saw and so nice for an original. What are you gonna do about the restrictive EPA muffler though? That bar looks just right on that saw.

Latest posts

Back