91 cc's Oh Yeah!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Run one for 10 hours straight and get back to me :D
Can't go wrong with those saws. I prefer the balance of the Huskies for falling but the 066/660's don't have an excellent reputation just for the hell of it.
I'm bidding on a 2nd hand 660 at the moment on Fleabay. Even though I'd always grab my ported 390XP for falling there is just something about the 066/660's that makes you grin.

I ran my first 660 a few month ago. Its hard to believe what kind of power these bigger saws have. Before I ran the 660 the biggest saw I had ran was an 028 super wood boss and there isn't any comparison between them. The 660 I ran was sporting a "big" 22 inch bar and there wasn't any bogging it down. Makes ya wanna start looking for one doesn't it?

Matt

I ran my first 660 a few month ago. Its hard to believe what kind of power these bigger saws have. Before I ran the 660 the biggest saw I had ran was an 028 super wood boss and there isn't any comparison between them. The 660 I ran was sporting a "big" 22 inch bar and there wasn't any bogging it down. Makes ya wanna start looking for one doesn't it?

Matt

Wait till you run a ported one then :D Just make sure you have shares in a fuel company beforehand...

I really have very little need for a saw that big, so fatigue is not an issue. I cut Fir logs up to 4' dia. for firewood so a 36" bar would come in real handy sometimes.

Ran my newly acquired 066 for the first time yesterday and my response is the same.....wow what an animal. Even with a poor chain this thing ate it up. Made my buddies 261 run and hide. It will wear a guy out! I ran it for three hours and I'm feeling it but the plus side was when I picked up the 290 after running the 066 I felt like I was using a feather lite saw!:rock:

Here lately my 044 has been really handy cutting up firewood. My father in law is having part of his property logged and its nice to have a 25" bar when cutting up the butt cuts that come off of some of those big white oaks. I hate to see it being logged...it was a real place to hunt, but I guess the money he's making off of it is good and it will be good to have a lil extra money selling the Firewood.

Matt

Here lately my 044 has been really handy cutting up firewood. My father in law is having part of his property logged and its nice to have a 25" bar when cutting up the butt cuts that come off of some of those big white oaks. I hate to see it being logged...it was a real place to hunt, but I guess the money he's making off of it is good and it will be good to have a lil extra money selling the Firewood.

Matt

The hunting will get better after it is logged. More sunlight to the forest floor, you will get more diversified browse and places for the animals to hide. You will lose some mast from some loss of acorns, but the browse will make up for it and be more year round.

Matt

My 385xp is happiest with a 28 inch b&c and I love it. It's on its way back from treemonkey's now actually. I've run a 660 and they're nice saws but it just didn't get the job done as fast as the 385 or the 390 there. Loads of torque through I'd like to run a ported one to compare though.

Ok, I'd still like to know, MS660 or 066 and what parts should I look for.

What's wrong with it, to need a bunch of parts on hand? I would keep on hand a filter or two maybe, couple bar nuts, clutch springs and the snap ring that hold the rim on, just a basic pack kit I spose.. What kind of parts do you have on hand for your other saws? As a firewooder what abuse are you going to put this thing through? Really couldn't tell you the difference between the two, but I am not a saw wrencher, other than to limp out a day if need be.

Owl

Like owl said the only parts I carry are the ones that get lost during routine maintenance. Bar nuts, sprocket clips, filters, spark plugs, etc...

Although I didn't like the older 066 with the rev limiter, Had a blinky red light on the right side, sounded funny at max rpms, and seemed like it wanted to cut better but wasn't allowed to...

I sold mine and went with an 046(now 461) they're a little lighter and better on fuel, but still have plenty of ponies.

The hunting will get better after it is logged. More sunlight to the forest floor, you will get more diversified browse and places for the animals to hide. You will lose some mast from some loss of acorns, but the browse will make up for it and be more year round.

I wish it would have time to grow and thicken back up but unfortunately he's planning on fencing it and running cattle In it.

My 385xp is happiest with a 28 inch b&c and I love it. It's on its way back from treemonkey's now actually. I've run a 660 and they're nice saws but it just didn't get the job done as fast as the 385 or the 390 there. Loads of torque through I'd like to run a ported one to compare though.

The guy that is logging the place has a few husqvarnas, ones is a 372 and the other is a 385. I've
Been planning on catching him on a slow day and testing the husqvarnas out, the only one that I've ever ran was a little 36 with a 14" bar.

Like owl said the only parts I carry are the ones that get lost during routine maintenance. Bar nuts, sprocket clips, filters, spark plugs, etc...

Although I didn't like the older 066 with the rev limiter, Had a blinky red light on the right side, sounded funny at max rpms, and seemed like it wanted to cut better but wasn't allowed to...

I sold mine and went with an 046(now 461) they're a little lighter and better on fuel, but still have plenty of ponies.

Now there's what I'm after. Rev limiter - blinky red light - what other tips can someone give so I'll end up with a GOOD saw. Is the MS660 the best one?

The one you can afford is the best one. Some of the 066 have the light some don't... the 660's far as I can remember do not, but some have the flippy caps (for better or worse). I hear tell of an aftermarket method of getting rid of the rev limiter? But that's not my ball park.

The other thing to look for is whether or not the saw has the big felling dogs, and a 3/4 wrap handle bar or the little dogs and a 1/2 wrap bar. Doesn't seem to effect the used price much, but will effect how you plan on using it. For cutting big fir, I would go with at least the big felling dogs, the little ones slip really easily in thick bark. If you don't plan on Falling a bunch of timber then the 3/4 wrap bar is a bit overkill, (but still worth it for limbing)

The guy that is logging the place has a few husqvarnas, ones is a 372 and the other is a 385. I've
Been planning on catching him on a slow day and testing the husqvarnas out, the only one that I've ever ran was a little 36 with a 14" bar.

372's are hard to beat awesome saws. You'll like the 385 give it a push and it'll keep on pulling. It's smaller than the 660 so it won't have the same characteristics. It'll rev a little higher with some extra chain speed.

My only cutting eyperience with the 066 was a total disapointment! The carb settings were way off, the chain dull, constantly going out, generaly a saw not taken well care of. Well my makita 5001 cut almost as fast with a 18inch than the 066 did with 24inch. It wasn't my saw so I didn't put all to much love into it. Used it for two cuts in 40 inch walnut. After that gave it back to the tree crew who were so kind as to lend it to me.

I just rebuilt this saw and did a TOTAL muffler mod, so it is HEALTHY. Then I put on my 24" bar and 3/8 full comp chain with an 8 pin sprocket. The pile of chips it made was awesome!

372's are hard to beat awesome saws. You'll like the 385 give it a push and it'll keep on pulling. It's smaller than the 660 so it won't have the same characteristics. It'll rev a little higher with some extra chain speed.

Hay moody have you ran a 066/660? I'm not sure what your experience is with them but i think they are turds compared to a 385/390. Still a good saw but lack in torque for there size. The fallers around here prefer the 385/390 for falling and bucking but prefer the 066/660 for limbing. They can only carry one so they carry the 385/390. I have ran them side by side with an inbiased mind and my preference is the 385/390. Don't let my sig fool you. It may seem i am a die hard husky guy but i like stihls also. I own huskies because the price is right, easier to work on (for me), and in my experience they last just as long as the stihls (even though alot of people say they don't). :)

Latest posts

Back