91 cc's Oh Yeah!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMHO once you've run a ported 385/390 you'd have trouble finding a better work saw in the 85-95cc range. The only real question after that is what's the best hearing protection.

I bought a 660 new about a year and 1/3 ago. East cost verson 1/2 wrap big felling dogs screw caps not flippy....souonded tinney with stock single port muffler but still the most powerfuel saw for me at that point. However after a couple tanks fuel dp muffler modded H+L screws to tune and later added a high output oiler...I love it but it does get heavey but has all the power i need. If i did it again i would definatly get the full wrap version and just look for a 1/2 handle to get the non epa oiler or look around for a well sorted 066 or have some one her build you a stock or modded type of waht you want...

good luck
sap can

And after its been ported I don't consider to be that much of a slouch.

Ummm..... That's what I said. They need work to make into runners....

I modded the muffler and put a dual port cover on it, put a .074 high jet in place of the stock .062 ($5), and changed over to the high output oiler. Also added an hd-2 air filter with an after market outer wears dust pre-filter.

Mine pulls a 24" bar with an 8 pin NO PROBLEM

I have a late model poly flywheel saw with a bone stock red light cylinder, .074 main jet, dual port muffler and the HO oiler. It pulls a 32" full comp with an 8 pin, no problem....

I got a great deal on a 2011 MS660R 3/4 wrap HO oiler from a logger who used it as his #1 saw for a year. He replaced it with another MS660. FWIW

I have not done any port work to it yet. I put a bigger jet in it and that made a difference, dual ported the muffler, that helped a bit.

It has PLENTY of power and I find myself using the felling dogs all the time because it pulls so darn hard. It runs a 28" bar with 8 pin rim most of the time. I have a 36" bar and 7 pin when stuff gets a little bigger. I've never had any trouble with it struggling with anything. Lean on it, let it self feed, it don't care. I've put a boat-load of hours on it since I've had it with ZERO issues.

I've seen guys with hot rod 70cc saws that cut like a hot knife through butter until the big bars come out. Then the less than 1lb weight difference is more than made up for by the grunt the MS660 has.

I can't personally find anything bad to say about my MS660. Only thing that might be considered a down side is 23 or 24 tanks of fuel in a full day of use. But DAYUM a lot of work gets DONE. :rock:

Late model 660's are turds. Plain and simple. They are gutless compared to the early 066's. They can be made into runners, but it takes some work....

Yea, the mufflers are choked up, but that ain't the half of it. Smaller carb jets, less ignition timing and horrible port timing for a work saw.

I reckon that sums it up perfectly.

EPA ####ed that series up badly........

IMHO once you've run a ported 385/390 you'd have trouble finding a better work saw in the 85-95cc range. The only real question after that is what's the best hearing protection.

I have to agree with you there. I've owned and felled with ported MS660's and ported 390XP's. The 660's got sold.
No flies on a 660 but most people that love the 660's for falling have run very little else or their pappy's pappy told them that Stihls are the best. Without brand biased blinkers on I'd have a hard time believing that anybody would grab and prefer an MS660 over a 390XP unless dealer support comes into the equation. Yeah there is 5 odd cc in it and a bit more torque from the Stihl if saws are stock but not enough to get excited over.
Even my ported and pop upped 7900 will thump a stock MS660 by a fair margin with bars 32" or less.

If I had a heap of employees with single digit IQ's then I'd be supplying them 660's without a doubt as they are built like tanks and handle like one too. I do think that in the hands of an abusive knuckle dragger a 660 will outlast a 390XP - not so if you look after your equipment like we all should.

The one thing I do like about the 660's is that they come fitted with a decent set of spikes and now with the HD2 filter assemblies crap all over Husky with fine dust like we experience in our hardwoods. With big fat chips from softwoods in a forest then it sounds like the Huskys fair a lot better.

Last edited:
I have a late model poly flywheel saw with a bone stock red light cylinder, .074 main jet, dual port muffler and the HO oiler. It pulls a 32" full comp with an 8 pin, no problem....

I am running the same set up, i have yet to see someone run it and not be left with a smile on there face.:msp_thumbup:

My favorite 1122 is a 064 with a 066 top end. Ported and cut squish of course. :msp_thumbup:

I have two favourites - like you, one is an 064 with an 066 top end and the other strangely enough, wears a New West top end. Go figure.:msp_smile:

I have two favourites - like you, one is an 064 with an 066 top end and the other strangely enough, wears a New West top end. Go figure.:msp_smile:

I was wondering how that top end has held up. You be sure to let me know if you have any trouble with it.

I was wondering how that top end has held up. You be sure to let me know if you have any trouble with it.

I will let you know Randy, but that saw has had a little pressure taken off it with the arrival of Jer's 064 hot rod. Besides, I have a spare OEM cylinder just sitting here waiting, watching.... Me thinks it may have to wait a long time as the new west pot is holding out fine.
You guys sure know how to make saws run good. :msp_smile:

I will let you know Randy, but that saw has had a little pressure taken off it with the arrival of Jer's 064 hot rod. Besides, I have a spare OEM cylinder just sitting here waiting, watching.... Me thinks it may have to wait a long time as the new west pot is holding out fine.
You guys sure know how to make saws run good. :msp_smile:

We compare notes and stuff. :msp_smile:

Randy, how come you run your saws so rich? My 660 it tuned to run almost clear at wot hot. Won't you get more hp out of them that way. I know mine likes it..

Randy, how come you run your saws so rich? My 660 it tuned to run almost clear at wot hot. Won't you get more hp out of them that way. I know mine likes it..

In my little pea brain fuel does two things. I think it makes power and cools the engine. As long as it cleans up in the cut I'm happy.

Back