93 Might Be Too Hot For Firewood Gathering.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris-PA

Where the Wild Things Are
Reaction score
I'll admit I didn't spend that much time splitting, I just decided I was nuts after busting up a few rounds. Mainly I was bucking up a 36" and having fun playing with the Mac and the ported Poulan. It is inside the edge of the woods, and this morning it was shaded and pretty comfortable, but by 1:00 it was in full sun. The darn log was down on rocks and I was having fun trying to keep the chain out of the dirt and stones, while the rocks kept me from rolling it easily. I tried lifting the cut point by hammering in a wedge in up top, but the log wasn't really long or straight enough for that to work. But it's all cut up now, and that takes care of the major cutting I need to do for now, at least the big stuff. From here on it's splitting and hauling and stacking. The thing is, that work is so much nicer in the fall, but then it's too late.

I've been trying to get a little bit done every night, even if it's just a couple of wheelbarrow loads. OK - I admit that I didn't do any the day it hit 100. The mess I've been working on was in full sun this morning but but will be shady starting soon. It's been long enough for lunch, fluids, and an AS break. Agreed that fall is much more tolerable.

Yeah you gotta be careful, pace yourself and of course drink fluids not the alcohlic kind! I was out this morning, cut the grass, gave the Maple out front a little "haircut" and when I was throwing that out at the Emmaus compost site I saw some White Birch-not rotted but somewhat dry already. As I was taking it and getting ready to cut it to size, I said outloud to another guy there "I have no idea why I'm taking this as I don't have anywhere to put it" as I am loaded-but I also said "that's a good problem to have I guess"!

Stay safe guys-try to work early morning or late evening if you must work!

Yeah, I'm heading back out too, but it sure would be nice if a breeze would pick up. I think the air is too heavy to blow!

Got some tree rings mulched...helping a friend out near the hospital at cedar crest. Surrounded by blacktop is not fun! Thankfully he was ready to pack up by 11:30. I decided to give it a go at stacking some of the pile. Well, the neighbor saw me out there and requested I haul the tw-6 over to take care of some of the oak he acquired before injuring his back (extruded disk). After settling on the appropriate fee (case-o-suds) I got his cord of rounds handled before the sun angled up under the trees. Got lucky as there was just enough shade/breeze to make it bearable. Never hurts when his pool is full of 20-something bikini wearers either!

I just try to work around it.

Was doing brush around the edge of the yard till I got that "my stomach doesn't like this heat" feeling...so then I got on the riding mower and mowed till I needed gas. Run to mom's to get something she wanted hauled to dump, get lunch, make a dump run...go mow s'more.

Now that the shade is coming back around, got a bunch of little patches of cut brush to pick up with the truck around the yard that I didn't get to before noon.

Might just be me, but I don't like running the two-cycle stuff continuously above 80º or so (and 95º for the four cycle)...they just smell "hot" to me. I might do some quick zip-zip cuts with the saw if something's in my way, but I'm not bucking and sure not noodling in the heat of the day. I don't even like using the brush cutter. So I try to get that work done first thing in the morning, even if I have to return to cleanup the mess later instead of cut-n-clean as I go.

Might just be me, but I don't like running the two-cycle stuff continuously above 80º or so (and 95º for the four cycle)...they just smell "hot" to me. I might do some quick zip-zip cuts with the saw if something's in my way, but I'm not bucking and sure not noodling in the heat of the day. I don't even like using the brush cutter. So I try to get that work done first thing in the morning, even if I have to return to cleanup the mess later instead of cut-n-clean as I go.
Well, I was running the Mac and the Poulan hard for a while. Both saws ran flawlessly and they seem no worse for wear. The worst part was there was no breeze and I was down alongside a big trunk, so all the exhaust just collected there. Tried to keep my head above the log as much as I could.

I was trying out a loop of modified 33SL chain in red oak. I really like the 20BPX semi chisel I usually run on it, but I have two loops of the (now discontinued) 33SL full chisel that came with it. The stuff never worked worth a darn, but I ground off all the shark fin bumpers and now it's non-safety chain. I won't say it cuts any better than the 20BPX, but it's at least equal now so I have 3 good loops..

Well, I was running the Mac and the Poulan hard for a while. Both saws ran flawlessly and they seem no worse for wear. The worst part was there was no breeze and I was down alongside a big trunk, so all the exhaust just collected there. Tried to keep my head above the log as much as I could.

I was trying out a loop of modified 33SL chain in red oak. I really like the 20BPX semi chisel I usually run on it, but I have two loops of the (now discontinued) 33SL full chisel that came with it. The stuff never worked worth a darn, but I ground off all the shark fin bumpers and now it's non-safety chain. I won't say it cuts any better than the 20BPX, but it's at least equal now so I have 3 good loops..

I started yesterday about 8:30 or so and cut 6 good hedge logs. Put them on the tines of the loader as weight would bear and brought them back to the pad to chunk up... I've got 2 saws I wanted to run some fuel through, so I noodled everything while it was on the forks of the tractor... That makes the coolest square 4x4 pieces of wood one could ask for... The giant pile of sawdust/noodles is a prized commodity... The kids love to bed the show steers with cool yellow sawdust at the fair...
I finished up about 2:00... It was 103 degrees... I do this all summer... There's a feeling you get in your stomach and up the back of your neck when the body has had enough... If you push past it too far, you'll be sorry... :ices_rofl:

Yeah, I've never had anything go wrong running it in the heat...I just get nervous.

Round one done this morning...it's probably going to be a warm one if your first swim to cool off is at 9:30am. Three loads of brush cut and dumped, swim, just came to inside to Tecnu my arms since I might have had an incidental exposure to poison ivy...few more minutes I get to slip into my sweaty clothes again and go loco with a machete on some Japanese Knotweed. Yay.

I'm not doping any tree work during the day today - I've got enough other projects that some appropriate schedule juggling makes sense. It's not like I'm lacking for projects, probably have five things I could do at any one time and still not get it all done. Maybe at dusk if it cools off I'll head up to the tree line and split some stuff. The temperature I can handle but it feels like we're not far from the dew point at 86 degrees!

We've got a couple of window air conditioners up in the barn, but we haven't put them in a couple of years. The family is starting to grumble.

Kudos to you guys... I dunno how yas can cut wood in this heat. :eek:

Last summer I felled, bucked and split a few smallish ones. Not this summer. It's just too darn hot and muggy to work in the woods now. Friday night's storm pushed over a red maple in the woodlot... it's gonna lay right there, too.

I put the 353 to bed in May. Unless a storm comes through and knocks a tree over in the yard or the road, I ain't touching it again until fall. :D

We've got a couple of window air conditioners up in the barn, but we haven't put them in a couple of years. The family is starting to grumble.

Mine came out of storage this morning. Fans were no longer cutting it. Highs in the 90s predicted for all week here.

The back yard is almost in shade now, another hour or so and I can go out and burn the scraps from my splitting yesterday. Beer will be involved.

Mine came out of storage this morning. Fans were no longer cutting it. Highs in the 90s predicted for all week here.

The back yard is almost in shade now, another hour or so and I can go out and burn the scraps from my splitting yesterday. Beer will be involved.

Ive heard it takes quite a few beers to burn a scrap pile...:rock:

Ive heard it takes quite a few beers to burn a scrap pile...:rock:
The pile of branches in my field has reached the point where the front end loader won't lift high enough to put any more onto it. Think it's time to light it now?

:angry2::msp_w00t:

I think I will wait until it's cooler.

Back