A cord of Fir in 6 minutes!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, we have a 3.5 lb splitting axe, a 6lb and 8lb maul. The 6lb has a much longer handle and it is slightly easier to use. But it isn't the maul. It's the wood. It's fresh Fir. It is very wet, springy, and full of knots. Many folks outside of the PNW don't realize how knotted up Fir can be. Just look at the other vid of it in hardwood.

Never split any fur, but we have black oak (black jack) around these parts, and if you get a knotted twisted one, you'll be there all day. Once it starts to split, the stringy fibers still hold it together. It and hickory are about the toughest firewoods I've dealt with. Of course, if you get straight grained hickory, it splits as easy as anything. All depends on the tree.

I'm thinking I would have grabbed that red & black power tool in the background & made about 4 cuts half way through that log before wasting all my energy swinging that maul. LMAO! I've gotten educated by trying to split wood like that.

Since some seem to be missing the point - this is meant to be humorous. It's not meant to be a course in Fir splitting. Let's all relax and have a chuckle.

Exactly. It was a sense of humor test. Some people didn't pass.

I just watched the video again. Some of that fir will split easy, some of it will make you wish you'd never seen it.

Latest posts

Back