A couple of Stihl questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steve pretty much covered it, but I'll chime in on this one anyway. A few years back, when I was not cutting very often, I purchased a 290 that I ran with a 20" bar and round-ground chisel chain. It worked great and continues to work great. I have cut a LOT of wood with it over the last three or four years - trees, twigs, firewood, stuff that was underwater, you name it. The saw starts on the third pull (two choked, one not) every single time, regardless of the weather.

That said, I sold the saw to my father-in-law a few weeks ago as part of my saw-purge because I found I just wasn't using it. I had picked up an 026Pro, which produces more or less the same power on a smaller, lighter (10.5lb) package, which made it a better saw for limbing and smaller work. And since my 7900 Dolmar weighed about the same as the 290 AND runs a 20" or 28" bar with equal ease, which one do you suppose I picked up more often for bigger tasks? Exactly.

Now for a guy looking for a single saw on a budget, the 290 is not a bad way to go. It is durable, inexpensive, and reliable. Its only real drawback to the 290 is that it is heavier than it needs to be, but for most people who cut at home, around their property, or on the farm, this is a non-issue because they're not humping the saw around all day by hand or on their shoulder.

The only place where I disagree with Steve is about buying up on displacement with the 290/310/390 chassis. Though that is usually a good idea to get as much displacement for the weight you're carrying around, I think that the main redeeming point of this product line is price and the 290 is the best price/power point of the lot. Once you start spending the money for the 310 and the 390, there are MUCH better options out there that are pretty close in price to those saws (310 - Husqvarna 359, Dolmar 5100s; 390 - Husqvarna 365, Makita/Dolmar 64xx/73xx; Stihl 361, etc.).

So to answer Sniper's question, I would look at the Stihl MS290 ($330 most of the time) as well as the Husqvarna 350 ($300 or so) and 353 ($350 or so). Of the three my preference would strongly be towards the 353, even though it is a bit more expensive than the other two, as it gets you a pro-grade magnesium case and nearly as much rated power as the 290 for about three pounds less. Ten years from now you won't remember that you paid a few bucks more but you will be very much aware that the saw still weighs 10.5lbs.

I own a 290, it was the last new saw I purchased. I like it. It does what it is supposed to do at a very affordable price. Nothing fancy including the price. Easy to use and has not had any mechanical problems.

Some of the differences between even and odd numbered saw is engine design, point of manufacture, and price. Amount of plastic and power to weight ratio. Still good bang for the buck. Do not go smaller in the odd numbered saws.

Justsaws said:
.... differences between even and odd numbered saw is ....
The even vs. odd number theory does not hold up any more, even if you look at just the first two digits in the model number, and not the white vs. orange rear handle theory either.

The MS270, 280 and 650 has messed them up in different ways....

Ok Sawtroll, just because you brought it up.... WTF was Stihl thinking with the 650 anyway? Does it suit any real purpose other than being what, $60 less than a 660?
Andy

Personally, I don't see any point with the MS650.
It is a Pro saw, based on the 066/660 (not on the 064/640, except for engine size), but with a smaller bore, and the same weight.

The theories that may hold some merit are:
(1) that it is concieved to compete directly with the 385xp/2186
(2) that it is concieved to score "EPA-points" for Stihl.

It isn't offered here, but we don't have the 290, 310 or 440 either....

Last edited:
vsteel said:
I would use the saw to cut firewood and use it around the yard for trimming a little. I would cut about 5 to 10 cords of wood a year with it, used a few times a month. It sounds like the ms290 is the saw for me. Thanks for all of the help guys. (and that was a good idea about the extra wood dan.)

10 cords a year? If you're doing that much cutting then cut a couple extra cords, sell them and put the extra money into a MS260. Let someone else pay for your tools. You'll thank yourself every day you use it at the end of the day when that heavy 290 feels even heavier. Nothing wrong with a 290 but the 260 is a far better saw and will be a better saw for your money over time.
Finnbear

sawinredneck said:
Ok Sawtroll, just because you brought it up.... WTF was Stihl thinking with the 650 anyway? Does it suit any real purpose other than being what, $60 less than a 660?
Andy
In the case of cars you can by the same model with 1.6 1.8 2.0 3.0 etc. liter engine. You shouldnt by alwys the biger one:D

pinus said:
In the case of cars you can by the same model with 1.6 1.8 2.0 3.0 etc. liter engine. You shouldnt by alwys the biger one:D

I do get what you are saying, it's like the 440 vs.460 issue, my thing is its the same weight, and not much less money! If we were taling a couple hundred, yeah, I can see a place for it, but, if I remeber right (PLEASE DO CORRETCT ME IF I AM WRONG!!) it was less than $100!!! Thats a no brainer!!
Andy

sawinredneck said:
I do get what you are saying, it's like the 440 vs.460 issue, my thing is its the same weight, and not much less money! If we were taling a couple hundred, yeah, I can see a place for it, but, if I remeber right (PLEASE DO CORRETCT ME IF I AM WRONG!!) it was less than $100!!! Thats a no brainer!!
Andy

Last time I checked the 440 and 460 were less than a 100 bucks. I think it was closer to 60 dollars.

BUT, The 440 and 460 aren't the same chassis.... THe 440 is about a pound lighter. I notice it alot after getting an 046 after my 044 was stolen. Granted it has more power, but to be honest, I liked my 044 better. It was a lighter saw that was fun to throw around. Lighter than a 372 too. IMO.

Now the 650 vs 660. Duh, that is a no brainer! When's heavier 661 coming out? :laugh:

Saw Troll, you guys don't have the 440, but you have the 460? That is weird. The 044/440 was always big around my area when i was the one always running Husky's!

-Steve

Freakingstang said:
... Saw Troll, you guys don't have the 440, but you have the 460? That is weird. The 044/440 was always big around my area when i was the one always running Husky's! ..
Yes, I agree.

Maybe they figured out that the 440 couldn't compete with the 372xp/2171 on equal terms anyway, so they left it out of the program?

By the way, the MS660 doesn't cost much more than the 372xp, 575xp and MS460 here - and the MS441 cost a lot less than all those.

The MS361 also cost a lot less than both the 357xp and 346xp, and even less than the 359.

Chainsaw pricing isn't always logical...:deadhorse:

Freakingstang said:
Last time I checked the 440 and 460 were less than a 100 bucks. I think it was closer to 60 dollars.

BUT, The 440 and 460 aren't the same chassis.... THe 440 is about a pound lighter. I notice it alot after getting an 046 after my 044 was stolen. Granted it has more power, but to be honest, I liked my 044 better. It was a lighter saw that was fun to throw around. Lighter than a 372 too. IMO.

Now the 650 vs 660. Duh, that is a no brainer! When's heavier 661 coming out? :laugh:

Saw Troll, you guys don't have the 440, but you have the 460? That is weird. The 044/440 was always big around my area when i was the one always running Husky's!

-Steve

I'm sorry Steve, I see how I didn't make that very clear!!! I meant that I understand the difference between the 440 and 460 and WHY there is a price difference and why one would choose one over the other. But the 650 vs the 660 is just stupid!!!
Andy

SawTroll said:
Yes, I agree.

Maybe they figured out that the 440 couldn't compete with the 372xp/2171 on equal terms anyway, so they left it out of the program?

By the way, the MS660 doesn't cost much more than the 372xp, 575xp and MS460 here - and the MS441 cost a lot less than all those.

The MS361 also cost a lot less than both the 357xp and 346xp, and even less than the 359.

Either Sthil cuts you guys a deal or Husky is robbing you. Strange that they would charge so much for a saw thats built just a few miles away. We had the same thing here with Stihl. There is a wing of the German Air Force here. Those guys are buying saws when there here to take back to Germany and sell at a huge profit.

romeo said:
Either Sthil cuts you guys a deal or Husky is robbing you. ...
Chainsaw prices is generally about twise as high here, as in the US, but the non-pro 260, the 361, 441 and 660 are "only" about 50% more - and for once the high prices is not the Goverments foult.
The importers are exploiting our generally high price levels.....:angry: :bang: :bang:

Good saw?

I was wondering if the ms 180 is a very good saw for just some small trimming around the house?

SawTroll said:
Yes, I agree.

575 seem having "strato" type engine;)

Latest posts

Back