A DIFFERENT eBay experience ...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've bought and sold quite a lot of stuff on ebay, saws and parts, right up to motorbikes, cars and a couple of boats. I've had nothing but good experiences as a seller, and only a few bad experiences as a buyer.

The key for me as a seller is in good descriptions. This means plenty of high quality clear accurate photos showing the condition of the item and a good written description of the condition. I'd rather overdo it than under. All of my bad experiences as a buyer have been from inaccurately or unfairly described items. You know the type - one blurry picture from far away, and a one-liner description like "it's a good saw very powerful". I've generally sold for more than I expected despite my sometimes too honest descriptions... I could have left things out but I go for full disclosure. I even offer people to do an inspection after winning the bid with the option to buy or not. Never had anyone back out, and always received positive feedback.

People aren't always going to get the chance to inspect prior to bidding. You need to give a good description if you want to be a fair seller.

Shaun

The feedback system on Ebay is simply Blackmail. They ruined the system when they took away Seller's ability to leave negative feedback. Do you think they have chainsaw experts on the Ebay customer service staff? I don't even think they are in this country. I'll give you all a tip, list your saws as parts only even if they are new in the box. The parts only saws are going for the same prices as the ones that claim they are good saws. Ebay customer service will take your side if it's listed as parts.

"No returns Accepted"

"Item sold AS IS"

"study pictures and ask any question before bidding"

Does none of this mean anything? When you sell something "AS IS" its just that. If the seller has 100% feedback and accurately describes the item I cant see it being an issue for the seller when the buyer decides he changed his mind after the transaction went through already.

"No returns Accepted"

"Item sold AS IS"

"study pictures and ask any question before bidding"

Does none of this mean anything? When you sell something "AS IS" its just that. If the seller has 100% feedback and accurately describes the item I cant see it being an issue for the seller when the buyer decides he changed his mind after the transaction went through already.

"As is" doesn't mean anything to Ebay. You have to click the tab " for parts or not working ". If you are a powerseller, no returns accepted will cost you 20% on final value fees. You have to give a 14 day return policy for the discount.

My Echo CS-440 off Ebay came packaged well and fired up without much issue...however (this is a non-chainsaw issue, but goes inline with what's being said here):

My wife collects Fiesta pottery/dishware. She buys from Ebay maybe once a month, and I bet at least half of all her orders have had something wrong with them (pushing 20 easily). Shippers using virtually no padding, broken dish. Items coming not entirely as described: scratches, broken/fixed pieces, glazing issues, ect.. And most of the time the sellers get very very defensive about it. If I was making a living from Ebay I can see how I would be suspicious as well, but if I was just selling a few pieces here and there...yeah not so much. I mean if the sellers CYA, then there wouldn't be these problems. She is on a couple boards for her dishes and has sold some stuff and is very very upfront about every possible detail...no one will ever say she didn't inform them of something that's for sure.

Latest posts

Back