a few visual clues to telling an 066 from an 064 crankcase

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Definitive Dave

wanna-be saw racer, saw hoarder, parts whore
Reaction score
the voices in my head tell me to buy chainsaws
064 crankcase flywheel side area above the oil cap hole near the muffler - this area is indented
IMG_1131_zpsgsibxyto.jpg

066/MS660 same area by comparison
IMG_1138_zpsus9swp2g.jpg

Oil pumps are also different 064 on the left 066 on the right.
The 064 hose turns hard over time and when you try to remove it from the case it tends to breake the nipple off of the 064 oil pump, making it useless :(
IMG_1133_zpspymnwvuh.jpg

064 crankcase flywheel side area above the oil cap hole near the muffler - this area is indented
IMG_1131_zpsgsibxyto.jpg

066/MS660 same area by comparison
IMG_1138_zpsus9swp2g.jpg

Oil pumps are also different 064 on the left 066 on the right.
The 064 hose turns hard over time and when you try to remove it from the case it tends to breake the nipple off of the 064 oil pump, making it useless :(
IMG_1133_zpspymnwvuh.jpg

Why would you want to reuse the hose?

nah yeah silly polar bear we want to reuse the pump because we cant buy one anymore or repair them.
If you are very careful you can pull out the brass end tip from the oil outlet and then ever so gently cut the hardened tube off of the oil pump nipple, it has a set of tall barbs and you can cut hard enough with an exacto to break the tube, ruining the pump :(
By removing the brass insert first you may be able to get the tube to move a little bit aiding in getting the pump loose without breaking it. With the insert still in place the swollen tube is locked in place and just wont budge at all.
they still sell the tube replacement set it fits a few other models as well
Dave

The one thing I look at first ....

If the cyl bolts are M5, then it's an 064/early 066 ...
If those bolts are M6, then it's an 066/660 ...

dave can you get the tube replacements for the oil pumps

The pocket in the upper left portion of the flywheel housing on the crankcase is the dead give away.

I do carry the replacement oil line that comes with a spring to be installed internally to prevent kinking and a new brass end-cert, somewhere around $10 probably a few $ less at your dealer.
I have checked a few times and cannot find a replacement for the nipple section of the pump.
As to cutting it with a sharp pair of nice side cuts, the final "snap" as it cuts has snapped one off for me before, they are thin and brittle. I have used cuts successfully as well but have ruined 4 of the 11 I have tried to take off of saws in my life, the dead ones live in a drawer to remind me to be frickin careful.

nah yeah silly polar bear we want to reuse the pump because we cant buy one anymore or repair them.
If you are very careful you can pull out the brass end tip from the oil outlet and then ever so gently cut the hardened tube off of the oil pump nipple, it has a set of tall barbs and you can cut hard enough with an exacto to break the tube, ruining the pump :(
By removing the brass insert first you may be able to get the tube to move a little bit aiding in getting the pump loose without breaking it. With the insert still in place the swollen tube is locked in place and just wont budge at all.
they still sell the tube replacement set it fits a few other models as well
Dave

Sounds like an awful lot of work. Wouldn't a trolling motor be more versatile?

I've never had problems with the nipples breaking off the 064 oil pumps. If you use an Exacto knife made for modeling, the blade will break before the nipple does.

Homelite had a grey oiler line years ago that was the perfect replacement for Stihl oil pump line. It never hardened and was way easier to work with.

1/8" (or whatever the standard size is) nylon ice maker waterline works great as a replacement for Stihl oil line. The external diameter is perfect, the inner just a hair smaller. You need to heat it to get it to work right.

I've use it on an 026 a few times. I'm sure an 064/66 requires a larger diameter, but I figured I'd throw it out there.

They may make different diameters of the nylon stuff.

Latest posts

Back