A gift from Sandy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Replace the yard stump with some crappy wood stump"

Actually that old stump is sitting on top of a stump where I took out a crappy dead tree. Think I'll leave it there for a while.

I didnt know that about the root ball. I have 2 or 3 blow downs from Sandy I might try this with. There are also a dozen or so we drug into the woods several years ago from when I built my house. May have to go take a looks to see how well they cleaned off.

Last edited:
John_in_KS,

LOL well you will have to wait for a blow down of a crappy tree then, at that time replace nice root ball with crappy one :)
Better yet replace the root ball with a country outdoor fire stove/stump remover or better known as an oil drum with no bottom and place to burn everything including the remaining stump :)

Last edited:
jreed,

Not many people do know how good the wood is in the root ball since 99% of the time it's not something anyone gets with just standard felling.
Then most of the remaining 1% don't even think of the dirty root balls as firewood or as something they want to chain into to return maybe 5-10 % of what was above.

Good timing for the root balls you dragged into the forest, after a couple years they will be very dry and all but ready for the woodstove.
Should be nice and clean in most of them also, parts touching the ground might be suspect for being punky but I bet 90+% of the rest is the toughest nicest firewood you ever got.
Head to the forest with a couple extra chains though, even the cleanest root balls are tough on chain sharpness.
Your sure to hit a pocket of hidden dirt now and then but a few extra chains will make that just a 2 minute pain to change chains.
Bet you will be surprised at how heavy the wood is even 2 year dry in the root ball compared to similar stacked same species wood.

I do plan on cutting the stumps down to ground level after I get everything cut up and moved. I will try some of the root ball itself in the stove. I plan on using as much of these two trees as possible. I was thinking of cutting some up and making something out of it but I don't know what to make yet. A nice plank of ash would make a nice telecaster. :rockn:

Latest posts

Back