a good axe needed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

COWBOYJAKE

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
well i want a better one than my crappy home depot one where and which one? i saw the stihl one at the local dealer but $70 is it really worth it? i know good tools cost but am i paying for some orange paint or what?

i need it mostly for work in the woods with some splitting involved

well i want a better one than my crappy home depot one where and which one? i saw the stihl one at the local dealer but $70 is it really worth it? i know good tools cost but am i paying for some orange paint or what?

i need it mostly for work in the woods with some splitting involved
Do buy on Ebay? go there and search axe. You can buy a good old True Temper, Collins, Blue Grass, Plumb, Keen Kutter, or whatever you want. They are better than most of what's out there today, and they will be made in the USA. Some of these are not marked real good so collectors don't want them and these are the ones that you can get pretty cheap, but they still do what they were intended to do

Last edited:
Arvika. I have a 41/2 lb. single blade, its nice. You get what you pay for, you want a better axe than at Homo-Depot, you have to pay for it.

If you want a very good inexpensive axe, go with the 28” Fiskars pro. You can get them for under $30.00 on eBay and they chop extremely well. I bought the Fiskars sharpener with mine and it keeps the edge sharp with little effort.
I have much more expensive axes that are nicer looking but they won’t drop a tree any faster. Plus you don’t worry about damaging a cheap axe like a high end model. After more than one year of use on hardwoods, I’d say Fiskar axes are a great value for the money. :smoking:

Theres two good Fiskars axes, theres the pro chopping axe and the pro splitting axe. I have the splitting axe and like it a lot, I'd like to try the chopping axe sometime. They also have a sweet hatchet that looks handy for cutting stubborn strands of wood when splitting. They are tough, functional, utilitarian tools with virtually indestructible handles.

:clap: +1

The Fiskars splitting axes cut better than any regular axe I have ever used. I would assume the Fiskars cutting axes are even better. The Fiskars splitting axes are shockingly good. I LOVE mine.

The $10 sharpener is worth every penny, and I would NOT use a grinder or anything else powered to sharpen it. Powered tools are really good at destroying the temper of the steel.

Agreed. The sharpener for the Fiskars is the only way to go. I think the steel in them is too hard to file effectively, and a grinder would ruin it very fast. I let a neighbor borrow my Fiskars to try it out, not 2 seconds later he had it jammed in a huge maple round and was beating on the pall with a 12# sledge! I was shocked and horrified! I told him to NEVER beat on that head, it is a precision instrument, thats what wedges are for! It's no wonder he has no nice things and all his saws suck.

The Fiskars splitting maul I have "Rocks". I will never have to replace another wood handle.

Also have some Fiskars loppers for cutting tops and small stuff into stove length. With the loppers there is no noise, no fumes, no $ for gas, just a good upper body workout and the pleasure of adding to the wood pile.

I split my first seasons wood with the Fiskars splitting axe, then I got the hatchet to keep in the truck for shrub roots etc..

Great stuff!

excellent advice!!!

started buying old premium axes ... pretty soon got a collection :censored:

find an old keen kutter or any of others listed below... consistently better than ANY new Fiskars type axe.

state of the art for work axes occurred long ago. I'd like to get a racing axe some time... just to see how they compare to a good keen kutter...

Do buy on Ebay? go there and search axe. You can buy a good old True Temper, Collins, Blue Grass, Plumb, Keen Kutter, or whatever you want. They are better than most of what's out there today, and they will be made in the USA. Some of these are not marked real good so collectors don't want them and these are the ones that you can get pretty cheap, but they still do what they were intended to do

i bought a single bit at harbour freight made in Germany. the thing is well made. i hate to admit i used it to cut a pressure tank for a well, the ax held up well no edge niks or flattening of the cutting edge.

:)

Tuatahi for the best axes in the world.

I have a Fiskars for driving wedges, adjusting problems. Virtually indestructible is right on the handles, and convenient.

I have Tuatahis for racing and Keechs for training.

Race axes don't compare to anything.

Last edited:
I am wondering why Stihl only sold the Stihl branded Fiskars axes for a short time. Was it becuase people quickly figured out they could get the same tool cheaper as a Fiskars, Hmmmmm

With that being said I have a Fiskars splitting axe. There is whole thread about them. I think it was about 4 years ago. I still believe the handle is too dang short but I keep splitting with it.

Bill

Here is the faimly as if stands now. The big one has a twin that belongs to my wife and if she's happy with it I'm happy with that.

jonw_04

are there any site sponsors that have them or a good place online for them?

thanks again!!

Latest posts

Back