a good climber??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpatch

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
What constitutes a "great" climber? Many people commented on how good this guy is. http://www.palmtreeservices.com.au/video/blackiesjob.wmv

Personally that tree I would consider to be pretty easy (even easier considering how many groundies he had). Now put that tree between two houses that are close together and then is becomes much harder.

I'm not talking about a good employee, I'm talking about a good climber. I have trained a few men that can cut down most any tree but when it came to the people side of being a foreman they sucked, short tempered, rude, hard to work with. But they are still very good at tree work.

Do short tempers come with doing tree work? It seems that most of the people that I have worked with get all fired up over nothing. (ie. customers adding stuff or changing their mind or being very picky) What's so hard about just smilling and doing it? Don't let it ruin your day.

John Paul Sanborn said:
Much discussed subject, but I think some of the qualites are
  1. patiance
  2. the ability to communicate
  3. a willingness to learn from others

1. Not getting hurt.
2. Not Damaging property.

John Paul Sanborn said:
Much discussed subject, but I think some of the qualites are
  1. patiance
  2. the ability to communicate
  3. a willingness to learn from others

Not the first things to enter my mind................But soooooooooooo TRUE!!!!

Esp the willingness to learn from others. So many let their ego get in the way of their true potential.

Awareness is another great addition.

I would add; strong work ethic, ability to lead, physically fit, and in my case good looking!:hmm3grin2orange:

Around here, a good climber is some-one who gets a tree down fast without breaking the crew, himself or property.

The faster the better and the more you'll pay them.

A good climber will get around a tree fast, agile, know his cuts and the way timber behaves. will be able to turn it, land it butt first or flat or tip first.

In my time I have had many climbers, but at the end of the day I have seen great climbers with crap saw and rigging skills .... and when 90% of what you do are TD's you need those skills. So not many fall into the extremely good bucket .... but those that do can earn around $300 to $500 a day.

A recent article by Bill Goddard in the Arborage here explained the climbers attitude some.

They're detached from the team in their work environment.

They're psychologically pressured to perform, especially when looking at a bunch of ground crew who have their arms folded chatting.

They exert themselves continuously, even having a break is not 100% comfortable.

They're goal is to get out of that tree ASAP... aching feet/legs, sweat, continually using micro muscles for balance, wind etc all have a lot larger impact up there then when on the ground.

They generally want to call the shots but ground coaching is appreciated however in many crews rarely forthcoming.

If you are having trouble with your climber I found they're most susceptible to listen when you are in the tree with them .... get on their level. :)

Around here, a good climber is some-one who gets a tree down fast without breaking the crew, himself or property.

The faster the better and the more you'll pay them.

A good climber will get around a tree fast, agile, know his cuts and the way timber behaves. will be able to turn it, land it butt first or flat or tip first.

In my opinion the term "fast" equals recklessness. People die because the feel they have to get the job done fast. To get the brush chipped fast....to get to the next job fast.

Perhaps "Efficient" is a better word to use.

So many old-schoolers hook everything, learning to climb off hooks is a good start.

are you trying to say you cant hook take downs??????????

Ekka said:
A recent article by Bill Goddard in the Arborage here explained the climbers attitude some.

They're detached from the team in their work environment.

They're psychologically pressured to perform, especially when looking at a bunch of ground crew who have their arms folded chatting.

:)

To combat the "attitude" of some climbers I have had, All climbers or bucket guys are required to do ground work when they come out of the tree.

There is no "hero" on my crew except for the whole crew together.

xtremetrees said:
A climber is only as good as the groundmen

Though this is not always the case, it does make a big difference on the larger jobs. The knowledge and experience of your ground crew restricts what your are able to do in the tree.

xtremetrees said:
A climber is only as good as the groundmen
So true in my case. My roper took a day off last week (wife had a baby). Boy did I miss him-haven't had that bad a ride in a tree in a long time.

I think a climber needs a good sense of judgement-they know what they can safely get away with. (Yeah, I know it sounds bad but I don't know how else to put it.)

squisher said:
ya hooking removals puts to many holes in your valuable firewood.

:deadhorse: give it up man.:cheers:
Yes, cutting down a tree without spurs, how retarded can you get, just trying to prove something? Look at me, look at me, I can climb spurless. Whatever, lame.

Latest posts

Back